Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Originally Posted by EricScott I know this is going to sound weird but I was ... BlackBerry Bold forum

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by EricScott View Post
    I know this is going to sound weird but I was having the same exact issue as you describe for the first 4 or 5 times I tried using the Bold in Starbucks - it would never really connect and when I checked the Wifi profiles, AT&Twifi would be italicized and disabled and I would have to re-enable it.

Then all of it sudden it started working. Now when I walk by a starbucks it picks up the connection automatically and works like a charm. No idea what caused this to work so not sure how helpful this post is, but just thought you should know that you probably aren't doing anything wrong.
    Good point, I had to do the same exact thing. I forgot about it until you just mentioned it. Thanks!
    [So much for my memory ]

~ via Bold! ~

DjSmooth no está en línea Stack Professional
    Ok, took my time and read the entire thread and couldn't help wondering, does everyone here have an BB Data Plan, and if so what is the big deal about HotSpots! I mean with my plan I'm always connected so the Hotspots are I guess just a by product. Unless of course there is a way to turn off my BB Data Plan and just use WiFi, but than again what's the point, my Bold seems to work just as fast at work or anywhere else without WiFi as it does when I'm home or in Starbucks with automatic WiFi detection.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Sirthinks no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    2831A313
    Quote Originally Posted by DjSmooth View Post
    Ok, took my time and read the entire thread and couldn't help wondering, does everyone here have an BB Data Plan, and if so what is the big deal about HotSpots! I mean with my plan I'm always connected so the Hotspots are I guess just a by product. Unless of course there is a way to turn off my BB Data Plan and just use WiFi, but than again what's the point, my Bold seems to work just as fast at work or anywhere else without WiFi as it does when I'm home or in Starbucks with automatic WiFi detection.
    Not everyone has an unlimited data plan. WiFi gives them more time without spending more money. Also, I find wifi faster. So, when I am at home, at the office, or at Second Cup for coffee I take advantage of it.
    If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. - Carl Sagan

DjSmooth no está en línea Stack Professional
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirthinks View Post
    Not everyone has an unlimited data plan. WiFi gives them more time without spending more money. Also, I find wifi faster. So, when I am at home, at the office, or at Second Cup for coffee I take advantage of it.
    Alright, that helps me see it a bit differently now, Silly me for assuming everyone with a Bold had a Data Plan I know over in these parts, if you have a BB and want to access the Internet you're Required to get a Personal BIS at least, so that's why all this HotSpot talk threw me for a loop... Thanks!

mjwood0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    For me, its purely a speed issue. Viigo, JiveTalk and browsing all at once and quickly to boot is great over my morning coffee.

If you haven't tried browsing over wifi, its a whole different experience.

Last edited by mjwood0; 12-29-2008 at 01:21 PM.

Speed is the number one advantage.

Given a choice between accessing PinStack on my BB via EDGE , 3G, or WiFi, it's WiFi hands down. Then for me there is the matter of convenience as I use WiFi everywhere, everyday. It's my main connection to the net while traveling (Starbucks / Hotels / Airports) and I have it at home and my offices.

Furthermore, now that I have 3G maximized for optimum speed on my Bold, I'm now (finally) enjoying true 3G throughput speeds via AT&T on a BlackBerry, as I have for well over the last year via my Nokia, SE, Samsung and other smartphones.

RIM's slow approach to adopting both WiFi and 3G has been a source of frustration for me. This is beyond a shadow of a doubt the number one advantage of the Bold over any other BB currently available.

Cheers

PIN/ID
    2831A313
    Quote Originally Posted by DjSmooth View Post
    Alright, that helps me see it a bit differently now, Silly me for assuming everyone with a Bold had a Data Plan I know over in these parts, if you have a BB and want to access the Internet you're Required to get a Personal BIS at least, so that's why all this HotSpot talk threw me for a loop... Thanks!
    Exactly. But, if you have a basic data plan and try to use Facebook or youtube, get ready for the bills to stack up. Wifi allows you the ability to power use or abuse your berry without purchasing shares in the Telco every month. And now you use your basic data plan for email, bbm, IM, and minimal browsing.

Like I said before, Those of us with unlimited data plans will only get the benefit of MUCH faster browsing via wifi. See? Advantages for everyone!!
    Last edited by Sirthinks; 12-29-2008 at 01:23 PM.
    If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. - Carl Sagan

PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    Furthermore, now that I have 3G maximized for optimum speed on my Bold, I'm now (finally) enjoying true 3G throughput speeds via AT&T on a BlackBerry, as I have for well over the last year via my Nokia, SE, Samsung and other smartphones.
    I'm curious exactly what you mean by "optimized". Are you inferring that the update to OS .210 is responsible for this, or did you "tweak" something in the settings?

I only ask because I notice that the 3G speed isn't that much better then EDGE for me. I would have expected more.
    As always, just my opinion...
    mjwood0 (at) pinstack (.) com
    Remove PTT | OS Upgrade

PIN/ID
    2831A313
    Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    Speed is the number one advantage.

Given a choice between accessing PinStack on my BB via EDGE , 3G, or WiFi, it's WiFi hands down. Then for me there is the matter of convenience as I use WiFi everywhere, everyday. It's my main connection to the net while traveling (Starbucks / Hotels / Airports) and I have it at home and my offices.

RIM's slow approach to adopting both WiFi and 3G has been a source of frustration for me. This is beyond a shadow of a doubt the number one advantage of the Bold over any other BB currently available.

Cheers
    How about the 8900?? Wifi, no 3G, but it uses UMA over Wifi..... I wish my bold did that.

PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    It may do UMA over WIFI with T-Mobile, but I was under the impression that ATT doesn't support UMA.

Quote Originally Posted by mjwood0 View Post
    I'm curious exactly what you mean by "optimized".
    Through many hours of trial and error, I've identified that if one turns off GPS, 3G throughput is increased quite noticeably. I have no need for GPS anyway. My number one priority is speed of connectivity.
    It may do UMA over WIFI with T-Mobile, but I was under the impression that ATT doesn't support UMA.
    You are correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirthinks View Post
    How about the 8900?? it uses UMA over Wifi..... I wish my bold did that.
    No need, as AT&T does not support UMA, it's highly overrated anyway, and the WiFi protocol used by AT&T is the fastest. So you are good to go.

Cheers

I'm curious exactly what you mean by "optimized".
    I only ask because I notice that the 3G speed isn't that much better then EDGE for me.
    I forgot to mention in my prior post, that yes, while I have GPS disabled, it's also important to be running .210 as it's the fastest of all updates thus far.

Faster than .217 which I've been running since it was released. I will be rolling back to .210 in an hour, as it's the very best. Since my experience reveals the Bold is very fast and easy to update (much faster than the 83xx and 88xx series) I'm on a mission to take advantage of any speed improvement that may come with any of the many updates being issued. Now that I've had a taste of real 3G performance as I have enjoyed with my other smartphones via AT&T (Nokia, SE, Samsung, etc) I'm willing to test each update as they become available. In addition, I've thoroughly worked my way through every option in the options list, so as to eliminate anything that I did not absolutely need.

OS madness... heh!

PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    Thanks Archer for those tips! Saves me the hassle of updating to .217 tonight!

In other news, my Bold won't connect properly at either of the Starbucks I frequent so I'll have to call att.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12