Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So I haven't been able to get my Bold working w/ the free AT&T Hotspots ... BlackBerry Bold forum

EricScott no está en línea Stack level 2

Question Using AT&T WiFi Hotspots on the Bold?

Advertisement

So I haven't been able to get my Bold working w/ the free AT&T Hotspots at places like Starbucks, airports, etc. I contacted AT&T customer support this weekend and they said if you have Wifi turned on, as soon as your Bold finds a hotspot it should connect automatically. And unlike the iPhone where you try to login in and provide your phone number and get a text, etc....you don't have to do any of that w/ the BB.

When I go to Manage Connections --> Wifi Options, "AT&T Wi-Fi" is listed (and always has been) as a saved Wi-Fi profile. Security is set as none and the first check box (Automatically obtain IP Address) is checked while the bottom two (Allow inter-access point handover and Prompt before connection) are unchecked. The SSID is "attwifi". I haven't touched any of these settings since I got my device. I would point out that sometimes when I go into the WiFi Options the "AT&T Wifi" profile is italicized which I think means it is disabled...if I hit menu and "Enable" it goes back to plain text.

So I have tried 3 separate Starbucks and none of them seem to work. When the Bold doesn't connect automatically I go to Manage Connections --> Setup Wifi Connection and hit the "Scan for Networks" button. On each occasion it has found the AT&T Hotspot (usually it is the first network listed). When I click Connect, it takes a few seconds and then brings up a "Success" screen with the option to either access the Hotspot Browser or a Finish button. If I access the Hotspot Browser it tells me that "I need to be connected via Wifi to use the browser" and the Wifi icon below the signal strength indicator is still grayed out. If I then go into Wifi Options, this is when I usually see the AT&T Wifi Profile in italics....is doing the Scan for Networks actually disabling the saved profile?

I am running .167 (what it came with) on my AT&T Bold and have a BES plan. I have gotten Wifi to work fine in my house over my personal network (sometimes it goes in and out but generally is pretty decent).

So what am I missing here? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

planneau no está en línea Stack level 5
    I don't know what to tell you. I have an unlocked bold that I am using on Tmo, My Wifi works great. I haven't tried the ATT hotspots, I really don't care for the Hotspost anyway since EDGE works great for me. In some occasions better than the Wifi.

I will give the hotspot a try and see what happens. In other note; the hotspots don't always work. The Airports yes, and some starbucs. I know this because of my buddy's HTC Tilt.
    ..........SHAKE N BAKE..........

jmstr no está en línea Stack level 1
    Once your phone's WIFI have successfully connected to the SSID, you have to go in your browser and navigate to your home page. You will get redirected to an AT&T page asking you to login with a username/password. If you have ATT DSL at home, you can use that. If not, you'd have to sign up for an account which I don't think is free. Once, you have logged in, you'll be able to access the internet for web and network related access. It works on my curve.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by EricScott View Post
    So I haven't been able to get my Bold working w/ the free AT&T Hotspots at places like Starbucks, airports, etc. I contacted AT&T customer support this weekend and they said if you have Wifi turned on, as soon as your Bold finds a hotspot it should connect automatically. And unlike the iPhone where you try to login in and provide your phone number and get a text, etc....you don't have to do any of that w/ the BB.
    This is 100% correct. I was simply amazed at how fast and automatically my Bold connected to the WiFi network at Starbucks. It was so fast, that frankly I could not believe it. I'm in a Starbucks somewhere in the state several times per week and the moment I walk in the door I'm connected.

What they may have failed to tell you, is that you first must have a WiFi account setup with either AT&T or T-Mobile, the two providers that have wireless signals in Starbucks. Mine is with T-Mobile as they were the only wireless network in Starbucks for years. Then about 8 months ago, AT&T did a deal with Starbucks for all their IT needs. Now they both provide service.

So you must first establish and pay for an AT&T account, or become a Starbucks registered card holder which entitles you to two free hours per day on the AT&T network. Once you have an account, then your BlackBerry will interface very nicely, and provide you with access to the web.

Cheers

I thought when the iPhone 3G came out that AT&T came out with a new concept of free Wifi for iPhone users, which they later extended to BB Bold users (not sure if it is just the Bold or all BB users). It's a relatively new thing.

iPhone: http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/internet/wifi.jsp
    BB: http://www.techspot.com/news/32282-b...-wifi-too.html

The iPhone has a very convoluted way of connecting - you to enter your phone #, then they send you a text w/ a 24 hr access code and then you can access the network:

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/in...ssing-wifi.jsp

However, when I called AT&T this weekend they specifically told me that for the BB Bold it is much simplier, you simply automatically connect and it is free if you have a BB data plan.

So unless they totally misled me - they actually emailed me a very helpful knowledgebase article which details how to connect, etc (basically exactly what I did above) - I think I should be able to get on automatically and free.

Here is the AT&T knowledgebase article I was describing (ton of useful info in here):

http://www.wireless.att.com/answer-c...636&isSrch=Yes
    Last edited by EricScott; 12-02-2008 at 08:17 PM.

Here is the AT&T knowledgebase article I was describing (ton of useful info in here):

Excellent post!

Thanks for correcting me. I was unaware that access was free.

Cheers...

dts51 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask ;-)

Very informative link regarding WiFi...thank you for posting this!
    "May fortune favor the foolish" ...... Captain James T. Kirk

Raven71 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    249F7DCD
    I had no problem setting up for my home router, but my question is this.
    When I scan for other wifi spots and I get say Topaz Club. How do I set up for that without a WEP key and how do I find what the WEP is?
    I asked in the WIFI forum and another site, but no answers yet.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

WEP is a security protocol for Wi-Fi Hotspots. These are service providers that you are not allowed to access as they are secure connections. The only wireless network you are able to access is an unsecure network.
    Sent via Curve 8310
    the BlackBerry that just works!

mjwood0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    Are the Starbucks WIFI hotspots working for everyone? My bold tries to connect, I see it blink on and then it disconnects...

Since I'm at Starbucks a lot, I'd love for this to work for me...
    As always, just my opinion...
    mjwood0 (at) pinstack (.) com
    Remove PTT | OS Upgrade

Yes it works really well at Starbucks. I use their WiFi nearly everyday with my ThinkPad. I travel a lot and have used their service for years, now with WiFi on my Bold its really great. The really great aspect is that no sign-in is required. The minute I walk into Starbucks it automatically connects & I can check my email or PinStack immediately.

Frankly it works so well, the first time I was in disbelief as I'm so used to having to login. I have mine setup with the five different wireless networks I use. I could not be happier.

~ via Bold! ~ (wap.pinstack.com)~

mjwood0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    Huh. I was in a Starbucks tday and couldn't get it to connect for the life of me. I know the hotspot works as I have an account through them for my laptop and could connect just fine.

It was weird. Every time I'd enable the built in attwifi profile, it would connect for a few seconds and then disconnect. Looking at the profiles, I found that it had disabled the attwifi profile again.

I was at a Starbucks that I don't often frequent, but if happens at my local one, I'll call support to figure out what's up!

~via BlackBerry Bold (wap.pinstack.com)~

Sirthinks no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    2831A313
    For Starbucks and Second Cup (carrier wifi hotspots) You need to:

1. Find and connect to the network.
    2. Click on WiFi hotspot login. On Rogers, AT&T, Telus, etc hotspots this will take you to the login screen for the vendor, ie Second Cup, Starbucks etc.
    3. Scroll down the page for the login box.
    4. Enter the username and password provided by the vendor

Most locations that offer FREE wifi don't require a username and the login screen will just have a password box. For instance, one of the Second Cup locations I go to allows REGULAR customers free access. They provide the username and password. Another that I go to allows anyone making a purchase over $4 CDN free wifi access. Their's just has a password "espressoforte"

For the most part, these wifi locations aren't FREE per se. Most require you to have a wifi account with your carrier, or the national hotspots company.

For places with a WEP security protocol in place, you will need to speak to the owner/network admin and see if they are willing to part with the WEP key.

Also of note: Some locations of Starbucks, Second Cup etc. don't require any purchase, or any login. At these locations you should be able to login simply by finding the network and telling your BB to use it. These are the CUSTOMER FRIENDLY locales.
    If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. - Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by mjwood0 View Post
    Huh. I was in a Starbucks tday and couldn't get it to connect for the life of me. I know the hotspot works as I have an account through them for my laptop and could connect just fine.

It was weird. Every time I'd enable the built in attwifi profile, it would connect for a few seconds and then disconnect. Looking at the profiles, I found that it had disabled the attwifi profile again.

I was at a Starbucks that I don't often frequent, but if happens at my local one, I'll call support to figure out what's up!

~via BlackBerry Bold (wap.pinstack.com)~
    I know this is going to sound weird but I was having the same exact issue as you describe for the first 4 or 5 times I tried using the Bold in Starbucks - it would never really connect and when I checked the Wifi profiles, AT&Twifi would be italicized and disabled and I would have to re-enable it.

Then all of it sudden it started working. Now when I walk by a starbucks it picks up the connection automatically and works like a charm. No idea what caused this to work so not sure how helpful this post is, but just thought you should know that you probably aren't doing anything wrong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast