Going to be going from my Pearl 8100 on 4.5 to the Bold (as soon ... BlackBerry Bold forum

EricScott no está en línea Stack level 2

Use Switch Device Wizard or Not?

Advertisement

Going to be going from my Pearl 8100 on 4.5 to the Bold (as soon as AT&T releases it). I remember a while back reading reviews from early adopters to NOT use the Switch Device Wizard in BB DM because it messed up things on the Bold. Is that still the case?

I am using BES so all of my calendar appts, contacts, notes and future messages should reconcile wirelessly. And I only care about getting my old emails and other data on the device - not concerned about programs - will probably redownload those or options/settings, etc as I am sure I will want to go through everything on the new device.

So should I use the Switch Device Wizard or is some other method recommended?

TIA

KalebsDad78 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Just Ask
    I don't see a need to use the Device Switch Wizard. I have done the same as you are planning to do in the past when I went from an 8703 to an 8830. I just did a fresh start since I am on a BES, downloaded the apps I wanted to put back on my device.

The only thing you'll have to reconfigure will be your options/settings but it's minimal and will help avoid issues you might encounter by using the wizard.
    New User? - Read the NEW USERS GUIDE

blackharleymike no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2568EF6D
    Here's my recommandation : Don't use the Device Switch Manager. Ask your BES Administrator for a new Activation-Password and activate your new device. Everything should be fine after the Activation.
    Regards Mike.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Device Switch worked perfectly when I went from an 8100 to a 8120 back in May but I'm not on BES.

Going from and 8100 to an 8120 I would think would be pretty easy. I am concerned that going from an 8100 to a 9000 - different series, totally different version of the OS, etc could create problems.

Think I am going to start clean. Work at a small co so getting a new activation password is easy. In the past I have just popped the BB into my PC and it has run everything automatically (not running the SDW). I guess I will just have to live without my prior 6 months of emails. Probably not the end of the world.

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    I don't recommend using that feature. I would begin fresh with the Bold and input the items you need knowing everything is current and correct. I used the switch device for the 8100 and Curve and it hosed my Curve. I had to start over. Ever since that it's left a bad taste in my mouth and go the old fashioned way.

In addition to that if your using BES your data will populate your new Bold after you reconnect to your corp network.

Quote Originally Posted by srl7741 View Post

In addition to that if your using BES your data will populate your new Bold after you reconnect to your corp network.
    So if I am understanding this correctly, if I simply activate the Bold using an enterprise activation password (wirelessly) or by plugging it into my Work computer (connected to our network) and run Desktop Manager that I will get my old email messages (going back 6 months in my case) and other data on the Bold? I know that the enterprise activation will push all future emails, calendar appts, etc to you device wirelessly but didn't realize you got the old messages as well.

I am assuming I should backup my old BB (8100) just before I activate the Bold so I have the latest data?

Regardless, I am not going to go w/ the SD Wizard - not worth the pain of figuring out what it does automatically that you may not want it to.

Thanks for the info.
    Last edited by EricScott; 10-19-2008 at 09:54 PM.

Klotar no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    207BADEB
    I had no intention of using the device switch wizard when I went from an 8800 to the 9000, based on past recommendations here and echoed above.

However, that said, on the day that I got the new Bold, I used the device switch wizard and...

... had absolutely no problem.

That said, I am NOT on BES (BIS only).

I think also that DM 4.6 has improved the process of using the device switch wizard over what it used to be like with DM 4.2/4.3 when most of the horror stories occurred.
    -Klotar
    Supervising Manager of the Department of Redundancy Department.

Ge
    Ge no está en línea Stack level 4
    I had similar results as Klotar.

I had an 8310 and I used the switch device wizard when I got my Bold. Absolutely no problems at all.

Then I read about problems other people had.

I got paranoid and wiped out my Bold and started from scratch.

But I had it running for two weeks without any problems.

I am also a BIS user.

dbltap no está en línea Stack level 2
    I am on a BES. And I did use the Devise switcher. As others have mentioned, all your wireless stuff comes over from the BES, so the switcher is no advantage there. I was on 4.5.0.xx, so the apps I was running on the 8820 came over fine. The biggest one that was an advantage to the Switcher is I didn't have to do any updates to my BB messenger contacts. All of them were updated to my new PIN with no interaction on either end. I don't have a lot of contacts in BBM. But if you do, this could be a big reason to use the switcher.

Quote Originally Posted by dbltap View Post
    I am on a BES. And I did use the Devise switcher. As others have mentioned, all your wireless stuff comes over from the BES, so the switcher is no advantage there. I was on 4.5.0.xx, so the apps I was running on the 8820 came over fine. The biggest one that was an advantage to the Switcher is I didn't have to do any updates to my BB messenger contacts. All of them were updated to my new PIN with no interaction on either end. I don't have a lot of contacts in BBM. But if you do, this could be a big reason to use the switcher.
    Interesting. The BBM contacts will come over if I do a backup of my Pearl and a restore on my Bold, w/o using the full SDW, right?

Ge
    Yes, that was a big thing for me too. It transfered all my BlackBerry Messenger contacts. They didn't even know I had switched devices.
    Last edited by Ge; 10-22-2008 at 12:18 AM.

LXIX078 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Can you get your passwords from password keeper over without using desktop software?

Ge
    I don't see how, unless you key them all in again.