I've been using a USB charger for my Bold that I'm fairly sure came with ... BlackBerry Bold forum

drjamie03 no está en línea Stack level 3

USB charger info needed

Advertisement

I've been using a USB charger for my Bold that I'm fairly sure came with a different device (my TomTom maybe?). Nothing bad has happened, but after frying my bluetooth by using the wrong charger, I wanna make sure I'm using one with the right specs. Does anyone have this info? I'm guessing there might not be a way to tell, though. DOH! Guess I'd better start labeling them.
    BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.297 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102

Thyth no está en línea Stack level 3
    Standard BlackBerry wall charger is 5v at 700 mA. When charging over USB with the charge driver installed, you get 5v at 500 mA, and without the driver you get 5v at 100 mA. If the charger you are using is 700 mA or less, you have nothing to worry about.

It's likely that the BlackBerry charging regulator can charge from a higher current without damage, but if you want to be absolutely safe, stick to under 700 mA.
    Need an eScreen code? Try my generator: http://absolous.wavegap.com/projects/escreen/

Jaricanese no está en línea Software Pro
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    The most dangerous variable you have to worry about is the volts. mA is the speed at which it charges. As said, anything less than 700mA is safe, but will charge slower. Above 700mA should work as well, but be very careful.

Thanks to both of you for the info. My main problem is that there's no way to tell what the specs are for different cables. I have a ton of usb cables that will fit...I just don't know which ones have the right specs! I may just have to buy a new one and mark it so I know.

Thyth no está en línea Stack level 3
    Well, you can expect that anything using USB for charging will be 5v, since that is the only voltage delivered by the USB spec power pins. If a charger is meant for a USB device, you won't need to worry about voltage.
    Need an eScreen code? Try my generator: http://absolous.wavegap.com/projects/escreen/

That's kinda what I thought, except that I plugged in my Blue Ant headset to the USB cable, and it fried it nicely! :-)

psi chick no está en línea Stack level 4
    highly doubt that the cable caused it unless it was a faulty cable or that device uses rediculously small voltage ratings. a usb charging cable has no power source other than the computer, and will only run whatever the usb is designed too, and that's all standard on usb 2.0's. so if the headset was designed to use a usb charger, it must be designed for typical output ratings of a usb port. if not, well that's just stupid lol

GregGebhardt no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    No Way
    Your Blue Ant either was not ment to be charged via USB or it was your Blue Ants's time to meet it maker! I think I had a Blue Ant and it did use USB, like most, to charge the battery.
    Greg
    in Jax, FL