I have the new Bold [Tour] 9650 from Verizon. I'd like to unlock the hidden ... BlackBerry Bold forum

CMD130 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    3162AEC3

Unlocking Vendor Themes

Advertisement

I have the new Bold [Tour] 9650 from Verizon.

I'd like to unlock the hidden vendor themes as I was able to do with my BB 8830.

Is there a way?

The method for unlocking vendor themes on your new Bold is identical to how it was done on the 8830, by changing the vendor IDs in blackberry.alx. Make sure to make a backup copy of blackberry dot alx so that if there are any errors you can back out and start over!

BTW, how's the 9650??? Is it wonderful and seamless and strong like the 9700??? We need a report!

PIN/ID
    3162AEC3
    Mark, the 9650 is a truly awesome device. I love it, and am MUCH happier with it than the Storm 2, which I returned. I'm not much on reviews, other than to say it's the coolest BlackBerry I've had so far.

Regarding the unlocking of vendor themes. My method of finding the files in blackberry.alx is to search forward for "vendorID=". It works well with the old 8830. But with the 9650, it finds only ONE place where I can add my vendor code: 105.

Are you absolutely certain it should be the same? I don't see any similarity. I could email you my .alx file so you can see if that helps. I sure do want to unlock all the themes.

Dave

Assuming you have a 5.0, the coding to load themes is close to the top of the file, before the huge language section. Looking at my own blackberry.alx, I see three or four themes I can unlock. If you'd like, go ahead and send your alx file to markstone@pinstack.com if you'd like, but I think you should be able to find them pretty easily and I'd be surprised if there was only one. Try using "zen" as a search . . .

PIN/ID
    3162AEC3
    Email sent . . .

Took a look, and it appears that this particular blackberry.alx is device specific (unusual for RIM) and only coded out for Sprint (104) and Verizon (105) and several other smaller providers. (Good news for Sprint users, this indicates that a 9650 Bold will be available for Sprint sometime. . . bad news for GSM folks, AT&T and Tmo etc. won't get the 9650). The only thing you will be able to do is load the Sprint Zen theme using the instructions we went through a couple of months ago, however I think the Sprint and Verizon themes are probably identical so it's probably a waste of time. When unlocking themes, I replace the entire string of vendor codes (for example "104|105|233|234|299") with the single code (for example "100"). I'm gonna keep this alx to look at it some more, if I see something else I'll holler at you

PIN/ID
    3162AEC3
    Okay Mark, thanks. I'll try that and let you know. I'll also await an further news from you.