At this point we know that for whatever reason AT&T didn't give us the ability ... BlackBerry Bold forum

8800bruin no está en línea Stack level 3

Traveling in a non 3G area

Advertisement

At this point we know that for whatever reason AT&T didn't give us the ability to put the Bold is 2G mode. So I ask this question to all the stackers out there.

What happens if you are going to be traveling to an area that (on AT&T's coverage map) doesn't have 3G coverage? Will the phone continue to search for a 3G signal which will completely destroy the battery? Or will it time out and stay on EDGE after a while?

I'm considering taking my Curve on the trip for this very reason. Thoughts?

calm_tiger no está en línea Stack level 5
    My BOLD is either 3G or Edge: plain and simple. There is no battery drain what so ever. When I come into a 3G area the switch over is automatic with no glitches or battery drain. I live about 6 miles outside a major 3G area and I don't have any problems with my battery draining.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Last edited by calm_tiger; 12-15-2008 at 03:02 PM.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by 8800bruin View Post
    At this point we know that for whatever reason AT&T didn't give us the ability to put the Bold is 2G mode.

What happens if you are going to be traveling to an area that (on AT&T's coverage map) doesn't have 3G coverage? Will the phone continue to search for a 3G signal which will completely destroy the battery? Or will it time out and stay on EDGE after a while?
    The AT&T network operates differently than the Rogers network. The automatic switching of 2G to 3G, and 3G to 2G does _not_ place any additional load on the battery or any other part of the phone, that's why AT&T offers this advantage. For some reason this "concept of 3G eating the battery alive" got started, and blown way out of proportion. Presented as "your phone has to hunt for a 3G signal at all times, which kills the battery" is another myth. If you use a 2G or EDGE phone like the Curve it also must "hunt" for a 2G signal all the time. That's what cell phones do, they hunt for the signal when moving from tower to tower even when simply driving around the city.

Now if battery life is something one cannot stop worrying about, the one thing that you _can do_ is to turn down your display from 100% to 50%. The display is the one item that draws the most juice from the battery, on either a smartphone or laptop for example.

Every day, I travel in and out of 3G coverage, and I'm using my Bold the very same way I used my Curve 8310. The battery life on the Bold is _exactly_the same great battery life as I experience on my Curve. The only time the battery life is drawn down at a faster rate (and it's not _that_ much faster) is when I spend extended periods on the net in Starbucks, using the WiFi feature, which is to be expected.

8800bruin no está en línea Stack level 3
    Thanks Archer...I've heard that 3G doesn't have the effect on the battery that everyone says it does, but I needed a kick in the butt! But I have noticed that my battery definitely doesn't last like it used to on my 8300 Curve. I have turned my screen down to 10% with a 10 second turn off also.

It just seems as though this device eats up the battery more then I'm used to and that's fine. I have never let the battery get below 50%, I just don't want to be caught in a situation where my berry will be useless.

Quote Originally Posted by 8800bruin View Post
    Thanks Archer...
    You're Welcome!

smokedogg no está en línea Stack level 2
    do u people not have chargers? Here is a tip, charge your battery when it gets low. When u are not using the phone, charge it. When u are driving in the car, charge it...

Hope that helps

Quote Originally Posted by smokedogg View Post
    do u people not have chargers?
    The first thing I do when unpacking my new phone is to throw away all packaging, CD's, manuals, or other minutia, including the charger......

calm_tiger no está en línea Stack level 5
    Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    The first thing I do when unpacking my new phone is to throw away all packaging, CD's, manuals, or other minutia, including the charger......

Same here.....I just chuck that baby right out my car window lol