my trackball just recently started giving me trouble and yesterday it decided to completely stop ... BlackBerry Bold forum

reddrvgon no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    ask me

Question trackball issues...

Advertisement

my trackball just recently started giving me trouble and yesterday it decided to completely stop scrolling downwards...

therefore i decided to take my phone apart for the first time (and destroyed my warranty ofcourse)...

the trackball setup is relatively similar to that of an oldschool mouse, a little more sophisticated...

took out some dust bunnies...

what i noticed is that the grooves in the gears are black with frozen gunk that i cant get to, but i fail to understand why that would make my trackball freeze as if it wasnt turning at all...

i put it back in and its working much better now... its sticky going upwards (most likely because i put it in opposite of how i took it out)... it scrolls and sticks and i have to apply a little more force to send it up...

the question of the hour is... why does it stick as if something got stuck in a gear?

i saw no physical parts with damage, and didnt notice anything that would cause friction of that sort...

if indeed it has something to do with the light gunk stuck in the grooves, any suggestions on how to clean it?

and anyone else having such issues? ive only had this bad boy since 11/08 so its only been a little over 5 months...
    i see RED...

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Hey red, You might try looking here and see if it gives you any ideas. I had the same issue as you a while back and this did it for me.

bill16 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    sorry no
    I sorry for you,but real glad it's not doing it to me(yet).If I were going to clean it myself(not bloody likely,not me)(I lose something important)I'd use a rubbing alcohol(the kind with the least aditives)because it'll air dry without residue.As far as the gunk goes,I'd guess it's an over dose of lube that turned gooy over time.I hope that will solve it for you.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

getsugatensho no está en línea Stack Professional
    First of all, bill, You don't want any type of liquid in your phone with electrical parts. Alcohol included.

Second red, you can get a little stiff horse hair brush and take the wheels out, then scrub the gears down with the brush. It works really well. I've done it on my pearl a lot.

PIN/ID
    ask me
    Quote Originally Posted by moderncowboy View Post
    Hey red, You might try looking here and see if it gives you any ideas. I had the same issue as you a while back and this did it for me.
    yea, ive done that entire process already... but it sticks... in a weird sort of way... as if something got wedged in a gear, and then releases...

almost like if you wedged something in a clock's gears, it would stop till you took it out... but there were no loose parts when i opened it, and no loose parts when i put it back in... weird weird weird...

must be an arab thing... as this is an etisalat released device...
    i see RED...

Red, did you get a little rough with the wheel? I had a pair of pliers on one of mine and it slipped when I started brushing it, and left a nasty gash. Made it skip and not even roll sometimes.

PIN/ID
    ask me
    Quote Originally Posted by bill16 View Post
    As far as the gunk goes,I'd guess it's an over dose of lube that turned gooy over time.
    i was actually going to try to that cuz it made sense... seeing as how it would just evaporate without issue once i wiped it up...

Quote Originally Posted by getsugatensho View Post
    Second red, you can get a little stiff horse hair brush and take the wheels out, then scrub the gears down with the brush. It works really well.
    this sounds good too... lets see if i can find one of those in this third world mess...
    i see RED...

PIN/ID
    ask me
    Quote Originally Posted by getsugatensho View Post
    Red, did you get a little rough with the wheel? I had a pair of pliers on one of mine and it slipped when I started brushing it, and left a nasty gash. Made it skip and not even roll sometimes.
    the trackball is mucho perfecto man... used my hands, an exacto knife to unhinge the covers (very delicately)... and a little blower for the dust bunnies...

i think ill pop it open again tonight for further experimentation...

the biggest problem is that i absolutely CANNOT mess this up... i cannot buy this from anywhere... its not available...
    i see RED...

Just be extra gentle, and hey, if you can't find horse hair, i'm sure camel will work. lol

If you're careful, there shouldn't be an issue. Just inspect all the gears, especially the direction giving you the problems, for little mishapen grooves.

Diffused no está en línea Stack level 3
    Hey guys,
    Keep us posted about this if you have the time. This is extremly helpful. All the details. I have had the same issues with freezing. I know if all else fails, we can get a new TB but sounds like wherever you are you cannot. Good Luck!