Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789

The curve is built like a tank. Yes, the Bold feels much more substantial and ... BlackBerry Bold forum

Karpfish24 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    243fd52f

Advertisement

The curve is built like a tank. Yes, the Bold feels much more substantial and it feels like it should be tougher, but it isn't. I ended up just ditching the bold after I had two with build issues. I'm gonna check out the storm tomorrow but I doubt I will get one, probably waiting for the Jav. Hope the jav comes soon...

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by Karpfish24 View Post
    The curve is built like a tank. Yes, the Bold feels much more substantial and it feels like it should be tougher, but it isn't. I ended up just ditching the bold after I had two with build issues. I'm gonna check out the storm tomorrow but I doubt I will get one, probably waiting for the Jav. Hope the jav comes soon...
    I believe that more and more of us are coming to this conclusion. I know that speaking for myself I'm very eager to see how the Curve 8900 turns out. They need to get this one right. RIM needs to be sure it doesn't require an OS upgrade to do what it's supposed to do out of the box. If it just works, so that a new user can simply enjoy it, then this should prove to be the best launch yet. Just the type of launch they need to reclaim some lost credibility.

Cheers...

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    I believe that more and more of us are coming to this conclusion. I know that speaking for myself I'm very eager to see how the Curve 8900 turns out. They need to get this one right. RIM needs to be sure it doesn't require an OS upgrade to do what it's supposed to do out of the box. If it just works, so that a new user can simply enjoy it, then this should prove to be the best launch yet. Just the type of launch they need to reclaim some lost credibility.

Cheers...
    I Definitely agree with you Archer, a LOT of people are now waiting for the Javelin, people at work that had never been into blackberrys before tried out the Bold, ditched it and are now coming into my office everyday asking about the Javelin haha.

ps: Leonard, your latest blog post is great. 100% agree with you.
    Last edited by ranxoren; 11-20-2008 at 09:46 PM.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator

Cheers...
    I have no practical experience with the Bold, but I've read enough here and know enough about my Curve, having had it for a year now, that I am in 100% agreement with you here, Archer.

My next BlackBerry device will be an iteration of the 89xx series, most likely the 3g version whenever it launches in '09. As you said, basing this statement on the mishandling of the release and subsequent build quality of the Bold and the impending launch of the Verizon Storm tomorrow on the heals of some not-so-flattering reviews, I also believe that RIM should and will go all out to make sure this device is simply plug and play out of the box.

Ge
    Ge no está en línea Stack level 4
    Let me first say, the Curve was my first BlackBerry. A friend of mine sent it to me for Christmas, but I refused to use it. It was sitting on my desk for 4 months. Finally on April 1st, he called and asked me to humor him and give it a try.

I didn't like the form factor or the expensive data plans. I thought there would be a steep learning curve (No pun intended). Anyways, I called my provider and added a data plan.

I sat down, and was amazed at how easy it was to navigate and use this device. It took me 2 hours to get proficient and I have not put it down since. I have often wondered how I was able to survive with out it before.

In August when they released the Bold in Canada, I purchased one right away and started to use it.

At first I had the same transition pains as everyone else. Out of the box, my unit didn't even turn on. When I finally got it resolved, I proceeded to transfer everything from my Curve. It went smoothly, but then I read about other people's experience with transition from 4.5 to 4.6 and decided to do a complete wipe of the unit. The original firmware was buggy for me and it took a few days for me to get use to the size of the Bold.

First impressions, I liked the screen, the keyboard took some time and I was not impressed with the faux leather back. The speed was great and the browser was a huge improvment. The battery life was terrible. It wasn't great on the Curve either but I was able to get 10 to 14 hours on a charge. The Bold gave me 5 to 6 hours at best

I updated to the latest beta firmware and the battery life got better, I am now able to get 8 - 10 hours which is acceptable. I will always top up in the car etc.

After 2 months, I picked up my Curve and used it for a day. The first thing that hit me was the keyboard. The Curve keyboard felt cheap and the keys moved (slightly in its socket). I got so use to the solid feel of the Bold keyboard, I now prefer it with all the keys together.

The Curve also felt smaller and not as solid in my hands as the Bold. I never liked the leather back, but the Curve's plastic battery cover felt worse.

The last thing was the interface. I had the latest 4.5 firmware on my Curve, the applications were updated to match the Bold's. I do miss the Today Plus Theme I was using on the Curve. But I had problems with that too. Everytime I did a battery pull it reset all my icons. The interface on the Bold seems cleaner and less cluttered. The ability to organize into folders was a big plus.

I have only had one reboot with .167 all the other betas were fine. I did get some dropped calls on .168 but I had the same problem with the Curve, they were far and few. I am using .190 now and I hate the fact that it sends me to the general Messages inbox instead of the inbox of the mail account I was viewing. Older firmware always returned me to the inbox I was at prior to opening a message.

I don't experience the problems our neighbours have on AT&T or with our friends across the pond with Orange UK. Even the Beta firmware is pretty solid. I am sure many Canadians will agree with me.

I consider myself a heavy user. I am on the phone all day. I rack up over 4500 minutes per month. I average about 380 emails a day. I use the calendar and Instant Messaging constantly. I don't use the camera, play games or the multi-media features (well maybe the odd video). I use the web browser as a tool to look up information and that is minimal. I don't use WiFi.

To summarize

Pros

3G - Big Plus, the ability to send and receive messages while on the phone.
    Solid feel of Bold vs Curve
    Keyboard is better than the Curve
    Clean interface compared to cartoon icons on Curve
    Call quality is a lot better compared to the Curve (3G Network)

Cons

Size of Bold
    Battery Life

For me, the Bold is it. The Pearl lacks a QWERTY Keyboard, the Storm lacks a keyboard and is aimed at a different consumer, the Javelin, well the jury is still out, but the lack of 3G will probably keep me away.

Cell phones are tools, I spend considerably more money on the service plan over the life of the phone than I ever will on the phone itself. The Bold makes me more productive and that is what counts.

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by Ge View Post
    Let me first say, the Curve was my first BlackBerry. A friend of mine sent it to me for Christmas, but I refused to use it. It was sitting on my desk for 4 months. Finally on April 1st, he called and asked me to humor him and give it a try.
    And 400 posts later Ge comes up with an impressive and great input to this conversation.
    Great post, very informative - thanks for sharing your valuable opinion with us.
    While I agree with most of it, I still believe that the Javelin will be the perfect mix between the sturdiness you and I have come to love on the Bold, yet give us the GREAT Curve form factor.
    The keys while still "Curve-Style" will hopefully take some ideas from the Bolds as i think the latter's keyboard is great.
    The whole "not experiencing issues in Canada" is definitely true and I completely agree with you on that; we havent seen 1/8th of the issue other countries have with the Bold.
    And last but not least, my take on 3G is that EDGE is certainly enough for me !
    3G will be needed when I dont have a netbook (Acer Aspire One) running MacOSX 10.5 with my 3G Usb modem; while i still have this i couldnt care less about 3G on my blackberry!
    All in All, great post. Thanks Ge.

MOBB no está en línea Stack level 1
    I was contemplating on getting the Javelin for 475 Ca. By the time I made my decision dude sold it. Would of been a good buy, but the cons was no 3G?????

Quote Originally Posted by MOBB View Post
    I was contemplating on getting the Javelin for 475 Ca. but the cons was no 3G?????
    No worries, the 2nd generation 89xx will have 3G.
    Sent via Archer's BlackBerry

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by MOBB View Post
    I was contemplating on getting the Javelin for 475 Ca. By the time I made my decision dude sold it. Would of been a good buy, but the cons was no 3G?????
    I also saw that add and i can tell you two things about it :
    Battery cover was bent (read: busted) and the PIN will MOST DEFINITELY be blocked by RIM as soon as the retail units are out.
    Mark my words, the person that bought that phone will really regret it when they release retail Javelins for 499 (which is my guess since the Bold released at 599).

Quote Originally Posted by ranxoren View Post
    I also saw that add the PIN will MOST DEFINITELY be blocked by RIM as soon as the retail units are out.
    Excellent points made! Why anyone would be interested in an early production phone that is not optimized for the carrier its going to be used on, when that same carrier has announced they will offer the phone upon release, makes no sense. Especially since the price of the "Rogue Phone" is so high. Why throw good money into a phone that is guaranteed to provide a sub par experience & little or no warranty, just so that you can "be the first"?

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Excellent points made! Why anyone would be interested in an early production phone that is not optimized for the carrier its going to be used on, when that same carrier has announced they will offer the phone upon release, makes no sense. Especially since the price of the "Rogue Phone" is so high. Why throw good money into a phone that is guaranteed to provide a sub par experience & little or no warranty, just so that you can "be the first"?
    Trust me Archer, some people would get it EVEN WITH A BLOCKED PIN (read: 0% functionalities basically lol except for being a PIM) just to be able to be the first to have it.

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    So guess what ... I walk in my Office this morning ... and guess what i find on my desk ... yeah you guessed it ... a work issued Blackberry Bold (yeah that's right - they also just issued me a 8220 two weeks ago haha).
    Talk about a "Curse" haha. I was debating for so long whether i should sell it or not and when i finally do a week later i get a free one!
    Now dont take me wrong i am in NO way complaining. I love the Bold and finding a free one on my desk to complement my other free 8220 just made my day!
    Anyways. Off to set it up now !! haha !!

Female_MC no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24A2C570
    If you don't want it, I will take your Bold if you sell it.

PM me if you are.

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by Female_MC View Post
    If you don't want it, I will take your Bold if you sell it.

PM me if you are.
    No sorry i dont really like dealing with shipping and stuff but ill PM you anyways.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789