Am I going to regret upgrading my bold os through bb/pinstack software versus directly through ... BlackBerry Bold forum

odej98 no está en línea Stack level 1

the million and first os upgrade thread

Advertisement

Am I going to regret upgrading my bold os through bb/pinstack software versus directly through att?

I am concerned with whether or not some specific network settings are in there that may cleared out in order for it to work. I however HATE having carrier software on my phone which was the biggest reason for getting a BBB

Googling doesn't always provide the clearest answers.

GregGebhardt no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    No Way
    On my first Bold I updated every day it seemed and had the same problems. My second Bold that I am running on AT&T has the origianl OS and it works perfectly. Very little is gained by updating to everything that comes around. Do not believe all that you hear as so many make wild claims after updating and then a few days later start complaining! LOL!
    Greg
    in Jax, FL

fox581 no está en línea Stack level 2
    I would read up on the os's for the bold. I don't own one but have a pearl. I was skeptical at first but after doing lots of trial and errors I finally found one that was stable for my phone and to my liking. Every os is going to react differently with your phone, just search the stacks and see what kind of results people get, but remember to always backup.
    Opera/9.60 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.2.13216/554; U; en) Presto/2.2.0

OzzieDog no está en línea Stack level 3
    I think I tried every operating system for the Bold and had some problem with everyone of them, maybe I'm just too picky. With .282 the thing I didn't like was it kept telling me I would have full 3G coverage/service when it didn't, I would try to send email text messages and make call and nothing would make it out. Now back on AT&T .167 at least for me when it drops call or I don't have service I get "searching for network" message. For some all the claims of wonderful operating systems maybe true for them, I don't know. In the beginning I tried different operating systems to try and fix the problems I was having and then I think at some point in time I fell victim to having to have the latest operating system. In a perfect world everything would work perfect, but alas this not a perfect world. But as someone stated whatever you do make sure you do a back up. My two cents.

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    I ran .167 for my bold for the 6+ months I had it and NEVER had an OS related issue.
    BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.231 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    The OS releases that are linked to here on Pinstack and other sites are releases from other carriers from all over the world who carry the same device. They're usually official releases and can be downloaded from RIM or from the carrier, but they all share one thing in common, they tend to be designed to fix issues associated with that carrier. The advantage to grabbing an OS from your carrier is that it will fix any issues known to exist on their network, for their users (usually). There are some of us though that love having the newest version and we'll download it as soon as it's leaked. It's a preference and unless you're into debugging or troubleshooting, or you just have to have the newest OS out there for your device, stick with what you have and grab a release from your carrier.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

So true, I was changing OS in hope of fixing the problems I was having with AT&T and I found that all the none carrier OS were just masking the problem. Hope AT&T can fix the dropped calls and searching for network/disconnect from network.
    BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    Just get a 8900. Works like a charm
    What's the matter? CIA's got you pushing too many pencils?

psi chick no está en línea Stack level 4
    Quote Originally Posted by OzzieDog View Post
    So true, I was changing OS in hope of fixing the problems I was having with AT&T and I found that all the none carrier OS were just masking the problem. Hope AT&T can fix the dropped calls and searching for network/disconnect from network.
    um....this isn't a problem? if you're having issues connecting to the network it's probably more than just an os issue. i ran the sock .167 for about three months, it worked just fine. i upgraded to .210 in maybe march and it's been a ton better. battery life is much better and the os is faster.

Quote Originally Posted by psi chick View Post
    um....this isn't a problem? if you're having issues connecting to the network it's probably more than just an os issue. i ran the sock .167 for about three months, it worked just fine. i upgraded to .210 in maybe march and it's been a ton better. battery life is much better and the os is faster.
    Yes it is a problem, I tried .210 and I would get "white screen" and over heating. By they way this Bold number eight I'm on. Waiting for the new 9700 to come out. In the mean time I going back to the 8820.

psi chick no está en línea Stack level 4
    it's a problem for YOU, but it's not a bold issue. there are serious issues with the over heating, and it's a battery issue. if you're changing your phone but not the battery (as they usually do when they send you a new phone) it's not going to do anything.

Quote Originally Posted by psi chick View Post
    it's a problem for YOU, but it's not a bold issue. there are serious issues with the over heating, and it's a battery issue. if you're changing your phone but not the battery (as they usually do when they send you a new phone) it's not going to do anything.
    If memory serves me correct I changed the battery NO less than four times for the overheating issued prior to that AT&T sent me a total of three new in the box Bold's because the over heating was done within the 30 days. Besides all that the first three bold's did come with a new battery. While the "problem is for me" as you stated, I find it hard to believe that their is not something wrong with some of the Bold's out their. While I may not be the expert you are when it comes to the Bold or any other BlackBerry, I think some do have problems, but then again that is just my opinion.
    I have read that some people have no problems some of my friends have no problems, I'm just unlucky or maybe I expect too much for a five hundred dollar phone. I find it amazing also that it's always the users problem and never the phone.

odej98 no está en línea Stack level 1
    I had only considered doing an update because I am having issues with volume. It is almost certainly a hardware issue, but I wanted to eliminate the software possibility first.

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    What specifically is the volume issue? It might not be hardware related at all. The .231 release for the 8900 from T-Mo fixed a volume issue where ringtones were often quiet or even distorted at times.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS