Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hi Stackers, The 9700 has arrived, on time, as planned from the UK by DHL. ... BlackBerry Bold forum

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!

Lightbulb The 9700 Has Arrived ! MY IMPRESSIONS!

Advertisement

Hi Stackers,
    The 9700 has arrived, on time, as planned from the UK by DHL. These guys were good.
    I will attempt an objective view of the Bold 2. I then wish the fellow stackers will contribute to this thread as well.

Presentation:
    The box is smaller, tightly packed, no extra little boxes inside - just plastic with all utensils inside. Neatly packed, though.

The Bold 2 : Ergonomics and Feel (for the want of a better word...)
    Give credit to RIM´s marketing agents, for all the hype and hoopla they created ! Masterful...at least.
    For those of us who expected a better Bold, I would suggest we all be more realistic and settle for a better 8900 (version 2) if you like.
    Forget the original Bold screen we had, and compare with a very slightly bigger 8900 screen. The rubberized side buttons are good (already seen on the 8520) and the battery cover is what the original Bold should have had - it sits tightly, no fidgeting !
    The keyboard is (again) slightly bigger (very little) than the 8900, but definitely smaller than the Bold. The horizontal chrome strips lend it a "larger" impression of size, but it really isn´t - just look at the the bottom keys, and you notice they are shorter, including the space key. But this is not a gripe, because I always preferred the 8900 keyboard to the larger keyboard on the Bold. Obviously this impression is subjective.
    The screen is definitely smaller - not that great uniform single surface of the Bold. It looks like they placed a piece o glass between the plastic borders...this frame diminishes the phone, and hence one of the reasons why I consider this phone as an 8900 Version 2.
    The structure feels very solid. Let´s see how it holds out. But here, I think, we are better served !
    And then, the great fact that the rollerball has gone...the substitute is a great improvement, easy to use and adjust if necessary, extremely accurate and fast. I had the experience with the 8520, but I have the impression this is an improvement already.
    Like the 8900, we have the ability to lock the phone via the traditional way (by pressing cardinal key) and also at the top of the casing. Very useful, and absent from the original Bold.
    The fact that the charging and USB sockets are microUSB, will help in reducing the need to carry different cables...
    I noticed at the bottom of the casing, slightly offset of center, are two contact points. I assume this is to be able to charge the phone on those charge pods. Correct me if I´m wrong.
    Ok, so physically we have a phone that is an improvement on the 8900. It's definitely a stepback on the original Bold. This is my opinion obviously.
    After the original excitement of the purchase, the anxiety until I received it, and the unwrapping of the 9700, I really felt a little defrauded... so my compliments to RIM´s marketing agents and marketing strategy.

The Software

Here is the great improvement.
    Those who have a Storm will immediately recognize the attempt in emulating it. It works well.
    I have first hand news for the theme builder gurus. The themes I had on my 8900 (and kept on the Memo app) ALL WORK on the 9700.
    The 256Mb internal memory is a definite plus for the Bold; the processor is fast; reset or battery pull is astonishingly faster; sync as well, with no glitches at all.
    As far as applications that I have installed, without a problem at all, are the following:
    IM+, the Bellshare programs (weather, berrybuzz, berry popup), atomichelix notiify and taskify, forward, reply and edit, Bloomberg, the google apps (Search, mail, maps) pinstack reader and BB Application World. Time Mobile is not available and altough I downloaded it, it had problems. This also happens with Quickpull but from Steelthorn I have the news (on their site) that a compatible program will be launched shortly. It´s in beta now.
    I appreciate the new "Files" icon which gives you direct acess to the internal and external memory of the phone. The "Profiles" application ( similar to the Storm) is also an improvement.

So let´s wrap it up. I´m sure I´ve forgotten many things, but after a few hours with the 9700 I can conclude that:
    IT IS A GREAT PHONE - A GREAT BB.
    But, really RIM, you shouldn't have called it BOLD 2.
    Cheers guys.
    Thanks for the patience.
    Last edited by Delfim; 11-17-2009 at 04:36 PM. Reason: corrections

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    Great review! I cannot wait. I know this is the device Ice been waiting for. I went from the Curve to Bold to 8900 to the Storm. In ready. Come on AT&T!

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Glenn, I'm surprised you haven't been on the phone with them already! Since it's available to Premier customers already, surely you'll find a CSR willing to give you an early release!

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    And thanks for the review, delfim. I don't have personal experience with the device yet, but from what I've seen/heard, your review is spot on.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Thanks RoGro - it´s all in the pinstack tradition...a pleasure !

jzarowitz no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    NexsOne
    I've had two significant issues so far... 523 white screen error on first restart, and the BB button that squeaks like none other. And, I agree this is a better 8900... I wish this 9700 was the 9000 form factor... that would be optimal.

PIN/ID
    Nope!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by jzarowitz View Post
    I've had two significant issues so far... 523 white screen error on first restart, and the BB button that squeaks like none other. And, I agree this is a better 8900... I wish this 9700 was the 9000 form factor... that would be optimal.
    Sorry to hear about the glitches.
    I agree entirely with your statement jzarowitz
    Last edited by Delfim; 11-17-2009 at 04:47 PM. Reason: spelling

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator
    What OS came on it?
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Hi pdxmatts
    v5.0.0.321

PIN/ID
    NexsOne
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxmatts View Post
    What OS came on it?
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16

mine came with .296 but i updated to .344 already

Female_MC no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24A2C570
    On my way home to check mine out in a few moments, I will post my thoughts of course from my 9000 before I switch everything over.

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    Congratulations on the new baby delfim. Muito obrigado for the review.
    What's the matter? CIA's got you pushing too many pencils?

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    Quote Originally Posted by RoGro View Post
    Glenn, I'm surprised you haven't been on the phone with them already! Since it's available to Premier customers already, surely you'll find a CSR willing to give you an early release!
    calling now-keep your fingers crossed!
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

PIN/ID
    NexsOne
    Argh...white screen 529 errors are setting this up for being a projectile...I can't seem to go more than an hour or a reboot without an error now.

chsguyi69 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    215B74E3
    Have mine now, did a back up on my 8900, did the restore on the 9700, updated the siervice books, all is well so far. Getting used to the touch pad, actually theathered with it on my ladtop right now. I like it. We have 2 more on the way

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast