Hi all, I've just set up my new laptop with my Bold as a modem ... BlackBerry Bold forum

jrmtl no está en línea Stack level 3

Tethering with BB Bold and laptop question

Advertisement

Hi all,

I've just set up my new laptop with my Bold as a modem and it works flawlessly.
    What is this i'm hearing about tethering being an option soon?

Since i'm on the 6gb plan i hope i'm not gonna get any surprises as it's plenty to surf .

thx

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    What carrier are you with?
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

Rogers

rsammon977 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    219DFA34

Thumbs up

Hope this helps. One, it IS possible, I do it all the time. Im not going to try to walk you through the setup. I'll do you one better.....

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/devices...ered_modem.jsp

the first link is "Learn how to tether....." detailed instructions......

Rogers settings apn is "internet.com" no quotes

hope this helps

PS. Although I don't do alot of hardcore surfing (major downloads) i have webcammed more than once, and had friends at work that would go on youtube all the time, and i've never even hit a gig, so if i were you i wouldn't worry about going over your 6

criminala no está en línea Stack level 2
    I tried it once , just for testing .
    It was dead slow to browse and only opening the front page of cnn.com already ate 500-600kbyte of data .

If you are roaming at that point (which i think you are when using a laptop) it costs you an arm and a leg .

widescreen no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by jrmtl View Post
    Hi all,

I've just set up my new laptop with my Bold as a modem and it works flawlessly.
    What is this i'm hearing about tethering being an option soon?

Since i'm on the 6gb plan i hope i'm not gonna get any surprises as it's plenty to surf .

thx
    . Dude I have a bold and have tethered. With it you will be fine just slow down with the cam stuff call rogers they will tell you how much of you 6g you have used
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

Thanks all..

Actually I just wanted to make sure we can tether without any extra charges as I believe data is data regardless where it stems from

P.S my modem port is maxed at 115 200 kbps so that's what i'm hitting as a max ( i guess it's fine for surfing )
    Last edited by jrmtl; 07-14-2009 at 12:55 PM.

GregGebhardt no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    No Way
    Prepare for s l o w !

I tried it on my laptop and once was enough.
    Greg
    in Jax, FL

What is Rogers policy in regards to tethering with BB and their data plans?
    Extra charges ?

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    Shouldn't be. The data comes out of your included package with Rogers. At least that's what they say, as long as you have a min 1gb monthly plan.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

rsammon977 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    219DFA34
    I tether with my bold all the time. The speed is incredible, the only time I've noticed any slowness is watching youtube. And if you have a data plan it IS included in it, I've been doing it for months and never had extra charges. Hope this sets everyone's mind at ease.......

Also, last I checked rogers cannot tell u how much data you've used, but they will send u a txt at something like 80% of your plan.....

adils no está en línea Stack level 3
    the link has been moved. Any alternate?

Quote Originally Posted by rsammon977 View Post
    Hope this helps. One, it IS possible, I do it all the time. Im not going to try to walk you through the setup. I'll do you one better.....

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/devices...ered_modem.jsp

the

first link is "Learn how to tether....." detailed instructions......

Rogers settings apn is "internet.com" no quotes

hope this helps

PS. Although I don't do alot of hardcore surfing (major downloads) i have webcammed more than once, and had friends at work that would go on youtube all the time, and i've never even hit a gig, so if i were you i wouldn't worry about going over your 6

I tether with my bold all the time. The speed is incredible, the only time I've noticed any slowness is watching youtube. And if you have a data plan it IS included in it, I've been doing it for months and never had extra charges. Hope this sets everyone's mind at ease.......

Also, last I checked rogers cannot tell u how much data you've used, but they will send u a txt at something like 80% of your plan.....
    Thank you for that , that is what I thought but wasn't clear , is it written anywhere?

I'm limited

Thanks for that, that's what I thought but is it written somewhere in their policy?

The speed is decent as I did a speedtest.net and got 2.2 Mbps
    So now I'll put that data to use