I set up my tether with my Bold, and I'm using the standard 115.2 kbps ... BlackBerry Bold forum

michaelk no está en línea Stack level 2

Tethering via USB...

Advertisement

I set up my tether with my Bold, and I'm using the standard 115.2 kbps modem. I'm wondering: how can you set up the Bold as a faster type of standard modem? This thing is capable of far faster speeds.

Thanks guys!

waddeng no está en línea Stack level 3
    If you select the properties of the standard modem, then configure it, you can change the maximum speed to 921.6.

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    i find that using Bluetooth gets faster speeds than USB for some reason.
    But that might be because i'm using a mac.
    My comparison is between me using BT on my MacBook Air and my friend using USB on his dell laptop with Vista.

Hey wadd, I don't see that setting anywhere. The max for "standard modem" in windows xp is 115.2 kbps.Did you install the modem using bb-specific drivers?

Quote Originally Posted by michaelk View Post
    Hey wadd, I don't see that setting anywhere. The max for "standard modem" in windows xp is 115.2 kbps.Did you install the modem using bb-specific drivers?
    No, I didn't install anything specifically for this. Modem specifics below (hopefully this image worked)!

modem.bmp

If you don't have that, the modem drivers for the blackberry s/b in the directory: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Modem Drivers\

If you install from there hopefully you will get the same speeds.

Oh yeah....what version of desktop manager are you using?

I'm running 4.6. All I can say is that I was very far from getting 3G speeds at 115.2 kbps (SOOOOOOOOOOOO slow).

Also, how did you get to that window you showed in that pic? I can't seem to find it... bah, I haven't had to use a modem in so long

Update: Found it. Let's try it out now...

More updates: Wow, it's definitely faster now... 956/381 Kbps up/down. But still, this is below 3G speeds. Would the bb specific drivers help?
    Last edited by michaelk; 09-09-2008 at 01:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelk View Post
    Also, how did you get to that window you showed in that pic? I can't seem to find it... bah, I haven't had to use a modem in so long

Update: Found it. Let's try it out now...

More updates: Wow, it's definitely faster now... 956/381 Kbps up/down. But still, this is below 3G speeds. Would the bb specific drivers help?
    I'm not sure...but I can't seem to figure out how to install the driver specified in the folder listed above. Every time I try to install it I get a message saying "the specified location does not contain information about your hardware".

I'll look around tomorrow and see if I can find anything further.

I looked thru the .inf file and it's the installer file for the COM port connection. It doesn't contain any modem hardware configs. I think a separate driver is required.