Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hey Everyone, I just notice today when I was tethering, i did not recieve any ... BlackBerry Bold forum

macxsilence no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

Tethering Issue

Advertisement

Hey Everyone,

I just notice today when I was tethering, i did not recieve any email or BBM message. I looked at my service bar and the BB icon was not there. i did some testing and surely enough it was due to tethering. I was wondering if anyo0ne else has this issue?

Im currently running unlocked, rim branded on AT&T network on WINXP. Can anyone test this out and confirm my findings?
    ¬ It's only your knowledge and wisdom that separate us,
    ¬ Don't let your eyes deceive you.

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    mac,

You DO need another BOld in a similar situation (AT&T Bold using a p-c with Win/XP)to test for you. FYI, the fact that your Bold is unlocked should have no bearing on the issue though.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

MR. H no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    301a4489
    While tethering most data items won't work, when I thether on Sprint via my BB 8330 I don't want any messages or calls because a call will interupt the connection and kick me off line.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

Quote Originally Posted by MR. H View Post
    While tethering most data items won't work, .................
    Just trying to clarify - what kind of data items won't work for you? I was tethering recently and downloaded data (about 2.5mb) successfully, moved things back and forth normally, stacked, posted and generally got and answered email without issue.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    Well I just confirm last night with a att branded phone, they were able to to receive email and bbm messages. I think it has to do something with the branding that caused this

Test:
    RIM branded bold
    ATT branded bold
    Both running beta .247 OS
    Macbook running win7 beta
    Asus netbook book running winxp

Rim branded bold will disconnect the bis service while tethering. The att works fine. I thought it might be the OS but after restoring, same thing happens. This is right after the phone is setup, no restore from backup was done.

I don't know why the RIM-branded one wouldn't work and the AT&T one will. Maybe an expert, Bold user, can jump in here and suggest something? As far as I know they BOTH ought to work but this may be a Bold issue too - I have no experience with that device.

PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    I don't think its an issue with my phone. I might look up branding the phone to att and verify my findings.

reddrvgon no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    this may actually have something to do with the branding...

my friend's 8700 tethers and still has data access... but my debranded bold doesnt...

BUT... if i recieve a call during my tethering, even if i dont answer it, ill start recieving my data on my bold...
    i see RED...

Quote Originally Posted by macxsilence View Post
    I don't think its an issue with my phone. I might look up branding the phone to att and verify my findings.
    Sorry. I DID try to find something on branding (like how to un-brand) and wasn't able to find it - I was gonna suggest trying it. I'll keep looking and post back if I come across it.

If any user can post a link for un-branding a phone for this user we'd both appreciate it.

PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    Quote Originally Posted by jblackfish View Post
    Sorry. I DID try to find something on branding (like how to un-brand) and wasn't able to find it - I was gonna suggest trying it. I'll keep looking and post back if I come across it.

If any user can post a link for un-branding a phone for this user we'd both appreciate it.
    I have found all the information I need to get this done over the weekend. a quick google search came up with a lot of information from different forums. I will report my findings after the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by macxsilence View Post
    I have found all the information I need to get this done over the weekend. a quick google search came up with a lot of information from different forums. I will report my findings after the weekend.
    I did some reading too and there are a LOT of comments that say you can't do it. I've never needed to do more than unlocked a device (including my O2 Pearl) so I've never paid much attention to the subject but I thought I'd read somewhere how to do it. Good luck.

PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    Quote Originally Posted by jblackfish View Post
    I did some reading too and there are a LOT of comments that say you can't do it. I've never needed to do more than unlocked a device (including my O2 Pearl) so I've never paid much attention to the subject but I thought I'd read somewhere how to do it. Good luck.
    Since im stuck at work, I found all the "Stuff" I need to rebrand the phone. anyone that says it can not be done is wrong. Its well known that it is possible to "Re-Brand" a phone if you know what you are doing. There is 1 problem I dont like about the ATT branded phone, you do not have any opion to change network mode (ie: 2g/3g/2g and 3g mode). Since this not not a topic we should talk about, I will end it here.

Let us know how you come out, Mac. It seems like a lot of trouble to go to - I can't imagine that it's the cause of your problem but if you feel you've investigated every other (easier-to-fix) possibility I guess that might be the next move. Good luck.

Skier87 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Very interested to see how this turns out mac, definitely let us know how it goes.

I wonder too if the opposite, unbranding, could be done. Perhaps it would allow AT&T Bolds to change the network mode. Before considering this I thought it was not possible.

reddrvgon no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    Debranding does allow you to change the network mode...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast