I have read post after post from various sites trying to explain how to tether ... BlackBerry Bold forum

spat10 no está en línea Stack level 1

Tethering Bold to Laptop--Link but issues

Advertisement

I have read post after post from various sites trying to explain how to tether a Bold to laptop.

About 2 months ago, I bought a MSI Wind Netbook U100 and successfully tethered it using the instructions found on this site:

http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.p...Berry_As_Modem

I am on AT&T using Bold, a XP user, and when I set it up the 1st time I had ZERO issues.

However, I reformatted my Wind recently. When I followed the process all over again, it did not work this time, even thought I did not do anything different this time around.

I continue to get the same error, BUT, what I noticed that seems different is something that I do not see in this step:

Verify The Modem Driver Is Functioning
    Go to Control Panel -> Phone & Modem Options. In the Modems tab, you should see a new Standard Modem on a new port (such as COM6 or COM11).

The issue here is that there is no COM6 or COM 11 listed under the modem tab, just COM3. I remember the last time there being this additional Modem listed.

anyone know if there is a quick fix for this ? I think if I can somehow get that COM6 or COM11 listed automatically, I will have solved the issue.

Thanks for the help

wahtx no está en línea Stack level 2
    Hi SPat10!

Here are some things I would try...1st uninstall the DM...make sure you delete it completly...that means going into program files and delete anything left over from there. If you are comfortable with using the registry, you could remove anything RIM or Blackberry from there as well. (ONLY GO INTO THE REGISTRY IF YOU ARE COMFORTABLE WITH DOING SO).

I would even sync your phone with the DM at least one time after installation....finally, make sure the Blackberry Device Manager is running...(That is alway one step I always used to forget)...

Good Luck!!!!
    WAHTX

“If GM had kept up with technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving $25 cars that got 1000 MPG!"

~Bill Gates~

firepowr no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by spat10 View Post
    I have read post after post from various sites trying to explain how to tether a Bold to laptop.

About 2 months ago, I bought a MSI Wind Netbook U100 and successfully tethered it using the instructions found on this site:

http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.p...Berry_As_Modem

I am on AT&T using Bold, a XP user, and when I set it up the 1st time I had ZERO issues.

However, I reformatted my Wind recently. When I followed the process all over again, it did not work this time, even thought I did not do anything different this time around.

I continue to get the same error, BUT, what I noticed that seems different is something that I do not see in this step:

Verify The Modem Driver Is Functioning
    Go to Control Panel -> Phone & Modem Options. In the Modems tab, you should see a new Standard Modem on a new port (such as COM6 or COM11).

The issue here is that there is no COM6 or COM 11 listed under the modem tab, just COM3. I remember the last time there being this additional Modem listed.

anyone know if there is a quick fix for this ? I think if I can somehow get that COM6 or COM11 listed automatically, I will have solved the issue.

Thanks for the help

Here's the trick, DON"T use Standard Modem. Instead use 'Standard 33600 bps modem'. Let me know how it goes.

superman2683 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    20e07eda
    easiest way to do it is to download att communication manager from the att website (wireless.att.com/communication manager) thats what i use to setup my customers with for tethering the bold. its not the greatest software in the world but it will work