Read it and weep: BlackBerry Bold delayed on AT&T until at least mid-August! : Boy ... BlackBerry Bold forum

CrunchDude no está en línea Stack level 3

Technologically possible, or AT&T strategy to delay?

Advertisement

Read it and weep:

BlackBerry Bold delayed on AT&T until at least mid-August! : Boy Genius Report

Is this technologically possible?? Vodafone and Rogers getting "their" Bold's on time, while AT&T is seemingly doing what it did with the Palm Treo 750.

Treo 750v release date on Vodafone: 9/12/06

Treo 750 release date on AT&T: 1/8/07

At first, I was mad at Palm, but it looks like AT&T is the "perp" here, not RIM, as far as the Bold is cocerned.

It might be purely a business move, which, as a businessman, I can understand. I just wonder how it will benefit AT&T to basically give the iPhone plenty of room and TIME until everyone has their iPhone. When at capacity, it looks like the Bold will be released. Although, in case of the Treo 750, there was no iPhone "in the way", so I ask again, both Rogers, and worldwide giant Vodafone is "graciously" accepting the Bold from RIM, but AT&T is not for technical reasons??

Sounds fishy.
    It's all about the Berry! BlackBerry Bold 9000 OS 5.0.0.314 w/ BBM 5.0.0.33...works like a final build| ...awaiting release of BlackBerry Bold 9700 w/ HSPA 7.2! :D

vod332 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24AA5605
    Unfortunately, I agree 100%, but what can anyone do about it? Obviously, RIM has no control, even though I think they are going to lose market share to idiots who buy the iphone just because it comes out first.

Raven71 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    249F7DCD
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Well maybe if ATT subscribers would send e-mails and call.
    Tell them your going to switch if the phone is not going to be released. Since 3G is important to me. Having a Bold is the main reason. Unless they could figure out how to make my Curve 3G.

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro
    Just because its on the web doesn't make it true.

With that said I don't think there are any issues with the phone. Att is just being att. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Helmut no está en línea Stack level 2
    This is my opinion: I wouldnt be supprised if it comes out 31 days after the iphone 3g release, which would put it at August 12. Why?, a customer can return a phone within 30 days of purchase, so if one were to buy an iphone on July 11, and the bold comes out 31 days later that person cannot return the iphone for the Bold. Again this is just my opinion but it wouldnt supprise me. As others have said I would rather wait until its ready than to get a buggy device early. Im still on a cellularone plan (which doesnt "exist" anymore since they were bought out by At&T) and I will "switch" over to an At&T plan when the bold is released to take advantage of the contract price.

drdoom23 no está en línea Stack level 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Helmut View Post
    This is my opinion: I wouldnt be supprised if it comes out 31 days after the iphone 3g release, which would put it at August 12. Why?, a customer can return a phone within 30 days of purchase, so if one were to buy an iphone on July 11, and the bold comes out 31 days later that person cannot return the iphone for the Bold. Again this is just my opinion but it wouldnt supprise me. As others have said I would rather wait until its ready than to get a buggy device early. Im still on a cellularone plan (which doesnt "exist" anymore since they were bought out by At&T) and I will "switch" over to an At&T plan when the bold is released to take advantage of the contract price.
    I agree with u I think there givin apple a head start I bet jobs said release the 3g iphone or were pulling our contract and I bet the bold still out sells them they wear saying the bold had over heating problems who really know? I mean if u can wait then I don't know what to tell u but that iphone isn't that great

Pinman no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by drdoom23 View Post
    I agree with u I think there givin apple a head start I bet jobs said release the 3g iphone or were pulling our contract and I bet the bold still out sells them they wear saying the bold had over heating problems who really know? I mean if u can wait then I don't know what to tell u but that iphone isn't that great
    Ummm, yeah. You can't "pull a contract." That's why it's called a "contract."

Thyth no está en línea Stack level 3
    Why not? It's common for contracts to have stipulations for termination. Just look at a typical cellular phone contract: you can terminate the contract, subject to the stipulations of an early termination fee.

While it is possible there are some network glitches, I don't think it is very likely. All of the 3G radio chips come from the same handful of manufacturers (Qualcomm, etc.), and should those chips be defective, I doubt anything short of a device recall would resolve incompatibilities. That's not the sort of thing the BlackBerry OS would be controlling.

In short, my opinion: the delay is almost certainly for business and marketing reasons.

mentalcase no está en línea Stack level 1
    I dont think it has much to do with the iphone. If you remember to last year, the curve released a week or two before the iphone. I just think att knows how popular this new BB is going to be and wants to get it right.

joel_bud no está en línea Stack level 2
    ATT has a great network but they suck. They just cant let things go. You cant unlock phone they wont give out unlock codes so you have to goto 3rd parties. They charge a ton of cash. They just suck but I love the phone I wish they would just make life easier for everyone instead of worrying about sucking up cash from customers hwo are paying 330 a month like me for 3 lines.

I went looking for an iphone today and instead of just stocking up all the stores with the 3g iphone now its a game you gotta catch it if you can. I've decided to wait for the new BB bold or buy it unlocked from Europe when it comes out. ATT also makes the list price for the iphone 3g 399 and 499 if you are not alloweed to upgrade you can pay that and get raped by ATT. Dont they make enough money on the services. I will not wait for the BB bold to be out by ATT I'll be purschasing an unlokced version ASAP....

Quote Originally Posted by CrunchDude View Post
    Read it and weep:

BlackBerry Bold delayed on AT&T until at least mid-August! : Boy Genius Report

Is this technologically possible?? Vodafone and Rogers getting "their" Bold's on time, while AT&T is seemingly doing what it did with the Palm Treo 750.

Treo 750v release date on Vodafone: 9/12/06

Treo 750 release date on AT&T: 1/8/07

At first, I was mad at Palm, but it looks like AT&T is the "perp" here, not RIM, as far as the Bold is cocerned.

It might be purely a business move, which, as a businessman, I can understand. I just wonder how it will benefit AT&T to basically give the iPhone plenty of room and TIME until everyone has their iPhone. When at capacity, it looks like the Bold will be released. Although, in case of the Treo 750, there was no iPhone "in the way", so I ask again, both Rogers, and worldwide giant Vodafone is "graciously" accepting the Bold from RIM, but AT&T is not for technical reasons??

Sounds fishy.

psi chick no está en línea Stack level 4
    Quote Originally Posted by joel_bud View Post
    ATT has a great network but they suck. They just cant let things go. You cant unlock phone they wont give out unlock codes so you have to goto 3rd parties. They charge a ton of cash. They just suck but I love the phone I wish they would just make life easier for everyone instead of worrying about sucking up cash from customers hwo are paying 330 a month like me for 3 lines.

I went looking for an iphone today and instead of just stocking up all the stores with the 3g iphone now its a game you gotta catch it if you can. I've decided to wait for the new BB bold or buy it unlocked from Europe when it comes out. ATT also makes the list price for the iphone 3g 399 and 499 if you are not alloweed to upgrade you can pay that and get raped by ATT. Dont they make enough money on the services. I will not wait for the BB bold to be out by ATT I'll be purschasing an unlokced version ASAP....
    wow bitter much?

all carriers have a price for phones with contract and without. why would at&t or the iphone be any different? just because it's something that people want? at&t is supposed to offer discounts to everyone then? no of course not.

at&t will certainly give you unlock codes. i know of two people that in the last six months that have gotten unlock codes from them.

if you're complaining about paying that much money for three lines then lower your plans. sounds like you're on the unlimited plans. if it's not necessary, then reduce your plan and shrink your bill. you choose who to go with and what plan you have, and you always have the option of another carrier. if you hate at&t that much, leave them. it's really that simple.

back on topic.....i fully believe that at&t delayed the bold for the iphone. there is much more demand for the iphone than the bold, and if they were released at the same time there is always the possibility that people were going to get the bold over the iphone. apple is not happy with that idea. so at&t delays the bold, iphone sales increase, apple is happy, and the only people complaining are personal bb users, which isn't that many people in larger sheme of things and they know that they'll wait. so everyone wins.....expect us. but we're going to wait anyway.....

fritzdoss no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    249F61CB
    Very well put psi chick. yes we will be waiting anyway, but we dont have to happy about it.

moses2628 no está en línea Stack level 6
    At least at&t customers have some sort of hope for the BOLD, being that it may be released next month!! We TMO customers have to wait, and wait longer than you guys!! But I guess it will be worth it!~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Berryadict no está en línea Stack level 7
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    I'll be patiently and happily tooling along on my Curve - xlnt phone, till At&t comes out with the Bold

360Challenge no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Helmut View Post
    not everyone buys the iphone on july 11