Hey All, I've had my Bold for just over a month now on the $79 ... BlackBerry Bold forum

ted
    ted no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    N/A

Talk about feeling CHEATED!

Advertisement

Hey All, I've had my Bold for just over a month now on the $79 Cap from Optus in Australia. But just this weekend I'm walking through the mall and see the storm on a big poster at the Vodafone store. Lo an behold when I get up to it: FREE on the $69 BB cap! I Pay $10 a month for my Bold. And we're not just talking about $10 less a month on the plan, you $340 worth of calls, sms, etc. I only get $300 on my Optus plan. I love my Bold but MAN I feel just a little sore about the better plan from Voda! Anyone else have that happen? Get your BB and your plan and suddenly there's a better BB (or the same BB) on a better plan?
    I have two very rare photographs. One is a picture of Houdini locking his keys in his car........

mjwood0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    If you really wanted the Storm, I can see how you're feeling a bit sore!

However, the Bold is RIMs premiere business device. For that reason, I really don't see it ever being as cheap or cheaper than the Storm. If you look at the the older 8820, you'll see that it never really came down in price (at least not here in the US).

RIM has always commanded a premium for their business devices regardless if they are worth it or not. Look at the Bold vs. Curve 8900. I'm guessing that the 8900 will come out cheaper than the Bold even though it has more memory, larger screen and better camera. And though it's not 3g, I'm sure a 3g model will follow and it will still be cheaper than the Bold.
    Last edited by mjwood0; 12-15-2008 at 10:03 AM.
    As always, just my opinion...
    mjwood0 (at) pinstack (.) com
    Remove PTT | OS Upgrade

RCode no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    304F0A29
    That's technology, it changes every month... it's impossible to keep up unless you want to put yourself in to debt.

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Quote Originally Posted by RCode View Post
    That's technology, it changes every month... it's impossible to keep up unless you want to put yourself in to debt.
    Absloutely agree! Technology is changing faster than we can keep up with it. Pick any topic - cameras, laptops, appliances, etc - stand back and watch the changes.

That's why, generally speaking, getting a Blackberry (or anything else) that fits your needs rather than trying to always have "the latest" is a fairly good direction to take IMO. Enjoy your Bold!
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

Ge
    Ge no está en línea Stack level 4
    I think he is complaining more about his price plan than he is about the cost of the BlackBerry.

Quote Originally Posted by Ge View Post
    I think he is complaining more about his price plan than he is about the cost of the BlackBerry.
    You're right Ge. He's certainly talking about the plan too - I think he's talking about both. He DID refer to the Storm as (possibly) a "better" phone for a less-expensive plan. Whether we misunderstood or not, he's still "sore" because (what he feels like is) a better deal came out right after he got the Bold.

IMO the point is that you can't time the marketplace nor can you necessarily predict the time or cost of newer devices so you'd better get what you want because it serves your needs or wants - not because it's the latest...or the cheaper of the choices.

Anyway, thanks for pointing that out - we only spoke to half of his point.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by jblackfish View Post
    Absloutely agree! Technology is changing faster than we can keep up with it. Pick any topic - cameras, laptops, appliances, etc - stand back and watch the changes.

That's why, generally speaking, getting a Blackberry (or anything else) that fits your needs rather than trying to always have "the latest" is a fairly good direction to take IMO. Enjoy your Bold!
    Excellent Post!

This is certainly a hot topic when it comes to technology.
    "When to Buy" and "What to Buy".

As we all know and witness, the speed of development today is lightning fast, thus the rate at which products become out of date, or even obsolete can be quite frustrating.

An approach that can be taken is to make a list of what is truly important to you, in terms of how you are going to _use_ the new device. What do you need it to do for you? How long do you plan on using it for this task? Are you looking for a long term solution or a short term one? Often a device will actually be good for a long period of time while performing the same task just fine. Just because a newer model may become available does not mean that the "old" device is no longer useful. The challenge that is fostered by clever marketing, is the programming we are subject too which makes us want the newer model. Even when in some cases newer is not always better.

I've certainly fallen into this trap of "wow" look at this new ______. When indeed the setup I currently have is not only still working, but working very well. That is until I decided to replace it with the "newer shiny one" only to spend countless hours getting the "new setup" to work properly. End result? Substantial out of pocket expense to "fix" a problem that did not exist.... heh!

Ahhh... the trials and tribulations of being a consumer / prosumer / early adopter...

Ge
    Ge no está en línea Stack level 4
    I call it the waiting game. There are people that will wait for a product to come down in price.

The problem is, they are always waiting.

As soon as the price drops, a newer device comes out and they will want that one and the wait starts all over again.

Get the device you want when you need it. It is okay to let companies make a few dollars.

ted
    ted no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    Great Responses guys! Yeah I was referring to both the Storm and Voda's plan. But hey! you're all right on the money too, tech changes in the blink of an eye these days. I would of replied a bit sooner but I've been busy trying to get an OS back on my Bold. lol! I managed to wipe it but the OS I wanted to load wouldn't go.

But hey, it's like having a Brand New Bold all over again! Thanks as well MJ for the encouraging words that the Bold is earmarked as the premium business device. I do feel like I made the right choice after all.

Keep it coming guys, anyone else have a similar situation??
    I have two very rare photographs. One is a picture of Houdini locking his keys in his car........

Everyone has a tale to tell. Mine's about buying an unlocked Pearl from a 3d party vendor and NOT buying the warranty. (Big mistake) Looking back on it, it would have been a fairly inexpensive, and well worth it, purchase. That tale's for another time...or not at all.