When I went to sync my 9700 last Friday, DM gave me the option to ... BlackBerry Bold forum

mbyer no está en línea Stack level 2

Question AT&T OS 6.0.0.526 for Bold 9700 released last week - memory leaks return...

Advertisement

When I went to sync my 9700 last Friday, DM gave me the option to upgrade my OS.

6.0.0.526 (AT&T) is loaded and generally working well. Had to uninstall and reinstall a few apps that were hanging on reboot.

Only issue seems to be memory leaking all over the floor (which seems to be an issue with other carriers as well). Down to 28.6 MB in 9 hours from a battery pull....will be down to <20.0MB in another 6 hours.

1. Anyone else get this install? I cannot seem to find a lot of other commentary on the release - here or elsewhere.

2. Any advice on the Curve-like memory leak other than installing quickpull and keeping an eye on it? I never tried any of the leaked OS installs and have not had to worry about it since losing my Curve a bunch of years ago. Pain in the neck - would love a solution. Anything? Buhler? Anything?
    Matthew
    BlackBerry9700
    AT&T
    OS 6.0.0.526

jho51e no está en línea Stack level 2
    I also get memory leaks when I had .466 that I was rebooting twice a day! Now I have the .534 and altho my app memory still drops by the end of the day I only have to do my routine nightly reboot.. Wish didn't have memory leaks tho..

Maybe try .534?

adam917 no está en línea Stack level 3
    What is usually the cause of these memory leaks?
    2007-09-08: 8100
    2007-10-01: 8320
    2008-04-25: 8310
    2008-05-02: 8320 (again!)
    2009-04-27: 8900
    2009-11-17: 9700
    2010-07-31: 7290 (retro!)
    2011-06-22: 9780

Bad coding. Programs, apps, OS modules that grab memory periodically and then fail to release it when the operation is complete. Drips away at available memory and then you end up with secondary issues. Battery pulls fix the problem, but you have to stay vigilent.
    Matthew
    BlackBerry9700
    AT&T
    OS 6.0.0.526

lak611 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    no more
    Have any of you shrunk your OS?

OK....I give up. I like the form factor and look of OS6, but am tired of the memory leaking. Have to do a quickpull twice a day now to keep things running smooth and that isn't worth it. Writing this as I downgrade to OS5.

As secondary issues that are annecdotal but worth noting: (a) battery life seems shorter, and (b) data usage seems to be about double.

Re: Battery Life - I used to get a full day of calls, emails, PIN messaging and some ancillary web browsing between charging. Can't get past 2pm without a charge or plug in since the upgrade.

Re: Data Usage - On AT&T and have rarely used more thatn 80MB in a month. Just peaked over 200MB this month, past my dataplan limit. Detail on the billing shows a lot of 2-3MB wap transfers that I do not ever remember seeing before (and I don't stream music or video or pandora or anything else of major bandwidth). Not sure what the transfers are, but it has only been since the upgrade to OS6 that my data has skyrocketed.

If anyone has better experience, let me know. Would like to use OS6, but not with these issues.

PS to lak611: Never tried shrinking the OS. Gave of hacking the thing a few years ago - not worth the time for me. Wouldn't cure these problems, though.
    Matthew
    BlackBerry9700
    AT&T
    OS 6.0.0.526

TheJerk no está en línea Stack level 2
    I installed OS6 on my 9700 a week ago...I have none of the issues you describe; my battery life is better, and the memory (albeit a lot smaller) seems to stay alright (I do have BeJoose installed). I can't comment on the data usage, because I have an unlimited plan (never pay attention to the bill). If your data went up that much, that would cause the battery life to be worse since it takes power to send/receive data.

however I have a different problem, my GPS will for no reason stop responding. It may work for a day, then nothing...anyone else have this issue? Would this be a software issue or a hardware issue? It seemed to work fine before, and only very rarely would it quit responding...now it does it at least once a day.

TheJerk no está en línea Stack level 2
    Well, I just downgraded too. I started having "Memory too Low" errors (with 37MB left), so I decided to go back to the previous OS 5.0 and be happy. There are a lot of nice features on the new OS 6.0, but its almost too busy and clunky.

Strike another one for OS 6.0...

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax
    This is why I am glad I still pop into the stacks now and then. I just finished downloading the 6 package for my wife's "new" work phone. Was about to connect it up and run the update. She doesn't like to "tinker" with the OS's like I do, so I think I'll leave it alone.
    If I knew where I was going, I might already be there. -- Cross Canadian Ragweed.

PIN/ID
    no more
    I have no issues with 6.0.0.600 so far. I do shrink my OS. The original OS was 180 MB. I shrunk it down to 97 MB.

I've noticed the boot time is twice as fast as it was on 6.0.0.546, which was the previous OS I ran.
    Laura

Follow me on Twitter @lak611

Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    I have no issues with 6.0.0.600 so far. I do shrink my OS. The original OS was 180 MB. I shrunk it down to 97 MB.

I've noticed the boot time is twice as fast as it was on 6.0.0.546, which was the previous OS I ran.
    Laura:

What carrier are you on? Each carrier uses slightly different packages - AT&T seems to always be slow to release their major OS updates and, when the do, there are bugs and issues. Sometimes RIM's and sometimes due to the requirements of the carrier. I like to tinker enough to upgrade the OS, just not enough to hack another carrier's OS to run on an AT&T device.....

Judging from the versions you have used, you are on someone other than AT&T......

Matthew
    Matthew
    BlackBerry9700
    AT&T
    OS 6.0.0.526

PIN/ID
    no more
    Quote Originally Posted by mbyer View Post
    Laura:

What carrier are you on? Each carrier uses slightly different packages - AT&T seems to always be slow to release their major OS updates and, when the do, there are bugs and issues. Sometimes RIM's and sometimes due to the requirements of the carrier. I like to tinker enough to upgrade the OS, just not enough to hack another carrier's OS to run on an AT&T device.....

Judging from the versions you have used, you are on someone other than AT&T......

Matthew
    I am on AT&T; however, I almost never use any OS from them. I almost always run a leaked OS or a hybrid. I posted the links to download the leaked 6.0.0.600 in another thread.
    Laura

Follow me on Twitter @lak611