Hi Folks I am hoping the good people of Pinstack can help me. I had ... BlackBerry Bold forum

gloomywood no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    PM me

Question Switched Handset - Can I access any of backup data without full reload?

Advertisement

Hi Folks

I am hoping the good people of Pinstack can help me.
    I had a new 9780 3 weeks ago, but the battery life was utterly useless - full top empty in 7 hours even when not used!
    Took it back to the shop, who kindly issued me with a new battery - only for the same problem.
    Returned this week to the shop and I've been given a new 9780 - which is so much better!!

Okay, so here's my problem - I had all my data transferred from my 9700 to the new 9780 by the shop, who then kept the 9700 for a trade-in.

I did back-up the first 9780 on receipt, so have that back-up file stored on my laptop.

Can I access some of the information that I have from the backup of the 9780, without reloading everything from it?

I can't use the Switch Device option on BB Desktop Manager as it asks me to first plug in the old handset - which of course I don't have!

I am keen to get my contacts and calendar mainly as everything else is not needed.

Any help guys?

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Yes, you can selectively restore any information from your backup.

Once you've connected to your PC and launched DM, I believe you select Device from the upper left (assuming you are using the most current version of DM). From there you select Restore and navigate to the latest backup you have on your PC. Then choose Selected Data and from there, you should be able to pick and choose what you wish to restore.

I'm not on BlackBerry anymore, so I'm sorry for the lack of detailed information, but this should get you on the right track.

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Roger, how could you desert your bb, for an IPhone of all things, you know they say that a lot of users have too much money invested in the Apps to be able to afford to move away from the Iphone ($100+) Good luck with Iphone, I know you'll come back to the BB

Hi Gloomywood (sorry to hijack your thread), in answer to your question, yes you definitely can selectivley choose not only specific backup files but parts from the backup, I have done it a number of times even taken bits from a 9000 and moved it to the Torch (9800) althouigh there you need to be more careful as certain programs are not compatible from BB to BB.

Once you have plugged into the Blackberry Desktop Software (as it is now called) go to Device/Restore, a popup window will show up. This gives a list of all the backup files you have saved, and will allow you to choose which file you wish to restore from. Then in the same popup you will see Select Data to Restore, there are 2 radio buttons one which allows you to restore all device data, the other to select device data and settings, choose the latter. This will bring up a list of items at the very top is the Address Book, which you should choose.

Hope this helps

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Dave, you don't invest in a lot of apps when your iPhone is jailbroken.

bmanley no está en línea Stack level 4
    I never did jailbreak but then I never did spend too much for app's. There are things I liked about the iphone but I just could stand the way mail worked on the iphone. One thing I think might help is if apple made an iphone with a full keyboard. One like the torch or that new motorola pro deal

Quote Originally Posted by bmanley View Post
    I never did jailbreak but then I never did spend too much for app's. There are things I liked about the iphone but I just could stand the way mail worked on the iphone. One thing I think might help is if apple made an iphone with a full keyboard. One like the torch or that new motorola pro deal
    An iPhone with a slide-out full qwerty - my oh my, wouldn't that be a gamechanger!

Gloomywood, Dave's instructions are spot-on! You can copy basically any database from a backup to nearly any other model BB, even to older models if their OS/hardware configuration will allow. That's one of the reasons BlackBerry Rules and iPhone Drools.