Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sorry I took so long, I want up to talk to the carrier and thry ... BlackBerry Bold forum

sooner no está en línea Stack Professional

Advertisement

Sorry I took so long, I want up to talk to the carrier and thry could careless. Carrier ATT and they wont do anything. They said all the stealer needs to do is put a working sim card and they are good as gold.
    I dont know who to be most upset with ATT, the theif, or rim.
    When that mass email gets a started let me know. im game

iLord is DEAD!

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    This thread has made me decide to buy SimGuard.

From description at mobihand. $8.99

When a mobile phone is stolen, the first thing the thief does is removing your SIM and inserting his. This way, you can't call your own number and talk to the thief, or locate his position. If you know your phone's IMEI you may block it with the support or network operators, but maybe you don't have it written somewhere.

SimGuard is a smart little application that runs at startup and checks the currently inserted SIM against a list of registered and approved SIMs. If the match fails, it means the device has been stolen!

At that point SimGuard does the following:

1) It immediately and silently sends a SMS alert to your secondary number, and optionally to a list of other numbers you've previously chosen (e.g: your friend's, partner's or company's number). The SMS is sent from the thief's phone number, and it contains:
    * The thief's SIM's IMSI (International Mobile Subscriber Identity): this can be used by the police to find out the thief's identity. (the phone number can also be used for that)
    * Your device's IMEI (International Mobile Equipment Identity): this can be used by network operators to block the device.

2) A second alert is optionally sent some minutes later with the thief's location. If the device has a buit-in GPS, and there's GPS coverage at that time, the alert includes the latitude/longitude. In all cases, the application tries to retrieve also the area code and cell ID the phone is currently connected to, for a less accurate positioning.

With all these informations, you can make the phone unusable for the thief, and report the theft to the police providing essential information to identify and locate the thief. Not bad, eh?

Supports multiple registered SIMs

Configurable device name to customize alert SMS

Can send alert SMS to multiple phone numbers

Alert SMS comes from thief's phone number

Retrieves thief's SIM's IMSI and location

If built-in GPS is present, lat/long coordinates are sent

Allows to temporarily disable the SIM check

Autostarts when the device is turned on, and then runs in background

Very clean and simple user interface

Very small size, just 18 KB

Detailed on-screen instructions

Free updates for ever! (including new minor and major releases)
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

Thanks for asking, she good a strong willed woman, I just hope that she gives RIM another chance, Im the one who pushed her to get it.

HOW SMART IS YOUR PHONE???

iLord is DEAD!

I think that RIM should put that app on all phones free?

iLord is DEAD!

I belive that this is what Im looking for but not quite sure I understand it.

QUOTE FROM HADEN BELOW

07-25-2006 -
    hayden
    Stack Admin

Device: 8900-G1
    PIN: ask
    Trust Level:

Blackberry Enterprise security - If lost or stolen (Kill Command)
    Research in Motion’s BlackBerry has been a heavy favorite throughout corporate America and more recently Europe. There are two very basic services that RIM delivers to communication-intense organizations using their BlackBerry handheld. They are, seamless email delivery and flexible security solutions that leave competitors such as Palm and Microsoft to imitate rather than innovate.

Many of our readers already own BlackBerry and a large percentage of you are on BES (Blackberry Enterprise Server). We’ve done a quick survey and are quite surprised that many BES end-users have never heard of the Blackberry Enterprise terms such as IT Policy, 3DES, Kill Command, content protection, to name a few. Over the next few weeks we will be featuring brief yet informative articles on these topics and anything BES security related one feature at a time.

Ok let’s start, think “Mission Impossible”, “This message will self-destruct in five seconds.” On Enterprise server the “Kill” command keeps confidential email, private contacts and sensitive data from falling into the wrong hands and thus breaching a company’s security. If your Blackberry device is lost or stolen you can contact your BES administrator who can send a remote “kill” command to the handheld, which will erase all the data as long as the handheld is in a wireless network coverage area. This can be done if the handheld is on a BlackBerry Enterprise Server for Microsoft Exchange version 3.6 and later.

The Erase Data and Disable Handheld command is sent wirelessly to a BlackBerry device, erasing all of the device data and disabling it so that it can no longer be used on the BlackBerry Enterprise Server. When you send this command, you should also verify whether the command has been sent and received successfully.

The device must be turned on and in an area with sufficient coverage to receive the command. If the device is turned off or out of coverage, the command is queued on the BlackBerry Enterprise Server until the device is turned on or returns to an area with sufficient coverage.
    To be able to view the verify the success of the command, the BlackBerry Policy Service (POLC) logging level must be set to 4.
    *See the Additional Information section at page bottom for instructions on configuring logging levels.

Using the Erase Data and Disable Handheld command
    To send the Erase Data and Disable Handheld command, complete the following steps:
    1. <LI itxtvisited="1">Open BlackBerry Manager. <LI itxtvisited="1">Click the User List tab. <LI itxtvisited="1">In the IT Admin section, click Erase Data and Disable Handheld in the list of IT commands.
    2. A dialog box appears, stating that all data will be erased if you proceed. Click Yes.
    Determining the success of the command
    To verify that the Erase Data and Disable Handheld command has been sent and received, review the POLC log file. By default, the POLC log file is located in C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\Logs\<date>.
    Lines similar to the following are displayed in the POLC log file:
    [40000] (10/03 13:00:52):{0x974}{<user_name>@<domain>,PIN=XXXXXXXX, UserID=1}SCS::PollDBQueueNewRequests - Queuing KILL_DEVICE_REQUEST request

The above line indicates when the command was first sent, and that the command is being queued for the user.
    [40000] (10/03 13:01:15):{0x960} {<user_name>@<domain>, PIN=XXXXXXXX, UserId=1}RequestHandler::HandleITADMINDataCommand - ITPolicy Success Ack for the command KILL_HANDHELD_COMMAND - Processing packet, Tag=23980295

The above line indicates when the BlackBerry device received the command, and that it sent a confirmation of the receipt.
    Note: To search using a string in the log file, search for ITPolicy Success Ack for the command KILL_HANDHELD_COMMAND. Once it is located, you can verify the user associated with the command. Search for this string when the device does not meet the requirements to receive the command when it is first sent.

Additional Information

To configure logging levels, complete the following steps:
    1. <LI itxtvisited="1">In the BlackBerry Server Configuration tool, click the Logging tab. <LI itxtvisited="1">Select BlackBerry Policy Service and set the Debug Log Level to 4.
    2. Click Apply, then click OK.

iLord is DEAD!

bill16 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    sorry no
    I'm glad your mom is ok.thanks jfcooley for that info on sim cards and sim guard.I hadn't considered that possibility.I don't believe my blackberry curve 8330 has a removable sim card,and forgot that other models and or service providers did.

Sooner, was your mom on BIS or BES?

bis

iLord is DEAD!

Then not sure what hayden is referencing will work.

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK
    What hayden what referencing is only useful if it was on BES

Well thanks to all who has offered their help. Now I just need to talk my ma in sticking with a BERRY.

But shouldnt RIM do something to fix this problem? Not for my mother but for all?

Im dissapointed in RIM, we do all need to stand as one and find a solution either to the carrier or maker, for instance Cadillac has the ON STAR which backs up their product.
    I know were only talking bout a phone but thats not the point.

How smart is your phone?

iLord is DEAD!

Would you please tell me what the dif is between the two, and why are their two servers?

iLord is DEAD!

BES is Blackberry Enterprise Service, mostly business users.
    BIS is blackberry Internet Service, you (prob) me and the average off the street subscriber.

BES users have an IT admin that can monitor and control what is going on with the berries in their control. Thus they'd be able to send the kill command that hayden described above.

I honestly doubt that the carriers aren't able to do anything. Don't know if its legal issues (everyone is afraid of getting sued), or a thing between RIM and the carriers or what.

Looks like the best course of action is to get a police report with as much info regarding that device as possible, take that to the carrier and push the issue. Sadly I'm betting your moms berry is gone.

Yeah, its gone. but my dad is up for an upgrade and he is gonna get the bold and give to her and he keep his. what a nice guy

iLord is DEAD!

Good man.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast