What is standby mode, and what is the benefit of using it?? This is the ... BlackBerry Bold forum

sdeeter19555 no está en línea Stack level 2

standby mode??

Advertisement

What is standby mode, and what is the benefit of using it??

This is the mode entered when you press the mute key on the home screen.

NickAC no está en línea Stack level 3
    Biggest two reasons I can think of are 1. Reducing battery usage and 2. Locking the keys to prevent accidental dialing.

It used to have the advantage of quickly bringing the phone out of standby. If you just lock the keys, you would also prevent accidental dialing, but to unlock you used to have to press * Send. I found that more cumbersome than pressing the mute/standby button at the top. But now the 9700 also has the dedicated lock/unlock key on the top left side, so the standby mode is a bit redundant, except for helping battery life.

Given this, what I'd really like to have is if mute/standby would also put the phone into Vibrate or trigger the in-holster settings! THAT would be very useful.
    Last edited by NickAC; 03-12-2010 at 10:37 AM.

fatboy97 no está en línea Stack level 3
    As stated above it really does help with the battery life by removing power to the screen and keyboard, and basically the device goes into a listening mode - waiting for emails, calls, SMS, etc... this saves battery life.

With some of the more recent OS releases, the Standby/Mute button will only be used to Mute... and the Standby is being moved to the Lock button... I'm using 5.0.0.545, which does nothing if you hold down the Mute button, except to mute you device... you now hold down the Lock button to put the device into Standby mode, even if you don't have a Password enabled... it's suppose to put the device into Standby mode... I've had pretty good battery life since I upgraded a couple days ago... so I guess it's working good.

NickAC no está en línea Stack level 3
    Interesting stuff about the Standby moving to the Lock button. Do you know of an app that will trigger in-holster mode when the BB goes into Standby? Or is RIM working on such an option? I think it will be very handy.

KSGranite no está en línea Stack level 2
    I've just got the 9700 too. I'm wondering if the dedicated lock/unlock key on the top left side can be disabled ? A colleague of mine has had problems with it unlocking and dialing random numbers when in his pocket. Anyone help ?

Quote Originally Posted by KSGranite View Post
    I've just got the 9700 too. I'm wondering if the dedicated lock/unlock key on the top left side can be disabled ? A colleague of mine has had problems with it unlocking and dialing random numbers when in his pocket. Anyone help ?
    Why would someone want to disable the Lock key if they want their device to lock the keyboard???

If they still have an older OS they should use the Standby/Mute key... if they upgrade to a more resent OS use the Lock key, it does not unlock itself... if they want to be sure, just enable the Password under Options, and the device will not unlock unless they put in the correct password.

But the answer to you question: No, you can not disable the Lock button.
    Last edited by fatboy97; 03-12-2010 at 05:41 PM.

KSGranite no está en línea Stack level 2
    I changed my 'K' to be the lock shortcut. I'd prefer to use only that. I take it that it's not an option then ?

I changed my 'K' to be the lock shortcut. I'd prefer to use only that. I take it that it's not an option then ?
    Don't know... I don't use keyboard shortcuts to activate my lock... maybe that is how some people unlock their keyboards and make calls when they don't know they are.

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    The A, W, and Q keys are locked by default by RIM. Meaning they can't be reassigned. I would recommend to your colleague to get his phone out of his pocket and purchase a holster. The lint and dirt that typically accumulates in the pocket works its way into the keys and other gaps in the case. Definitely not a good thing.

[edit]
    Just remembered an article I saw a while back that mentions how to reassign those keys. You can check it out here, but as it mentions, be warned that once you change it, you cannot change it back to the lock function.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

thagame911 no está en línea Stack level 3
    For some reason the lock key and standby mode does not work so great for me. I lock my phone then put it in standby and wait for the screen to turn off. But during work I still somehow end up random calling people from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by thagame911 View Post
    For some reason the lock key and standby mode does not work so great for me. I lock my phone then put it in standby and wait for the screen to turn off. But during work I still somehow end up random calling people from time to time.
    What OS version do you have loaded on your device?

sdeeter19555 no está en línea Stack level 2
    Wouldn't you use one of the other? I only lock the phone or put it in standby, not both.