I've gone through all the sound options on my phone, google searched it and searched ... BlackBerry Bold forum

alumnah no está en línea Stack level 1

Question sound on load up

Advertisement

I've gone through all the sound options on my phone, google searched it and searched this forum and cant find anything about - is there any way to have the blackberry bold 9700 play a sound while it is booting up? not during the progress bar screen, but perhaps during the next splash-screen that shows the carrier?

any help is appreciated.

- a
    (first time posting - no signature line yet)

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Hi, wellcome to Pinstack!
    No such thing as far as I know ...!
    Why would you want noise when it loads up? Only at the end of the OS loadup is the BB operational ! In between, it's purgatory ! Silence is golden !
    Unlike other phones, when a BB boots it REALLY boots ! It's not a soft reset like with Samsung and other phones !
    Or maybe I'm wrong...

Thanks for the reply Delfim. I definitely agree that silence is golden, and I understand that while it is booting up (ie there is an hourglass, or for the newer OS, there is a progress bar), it truly is booting up and you're in 'purgatory' as you would call it - however - after the boot up is complete, there is typically a splash screen for whatever carrier you have (for example, after mine is done fully booting, it displays an orange "ATT worldwide" screen) - what I'm alluding to is playing a quick sound at this point, since this is the screen that also comes up when you do a soft reset of the phone (power off then turn back on w/out a battery pull).

I was previewing some of the newer sound clips on my 9700 and I kind of like the "Inspiration" themed BB sounds, and wanted to have one of those play during the ATT splash screen when the phone is done booting up and is getting ready to display the home screen. Is there any way to do this, since it is not actually "booting" any more, but is just preparing to show the next screen?

Thanks,

- a

anfrey no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    A5KME41T
    not that i know of, but i don't think it'd be very hard to write a small j2me app that would auto-load on startup, play a sound file, and self-terminate. i don't have much java coding knowledge, though, or i'd attempt it myself.

be aware, though, that once the OS is "loaded and operational," the 'group calendar' application may still be running its sync procedures. this explains why sometimes the OS is a bit laggy right after bootup.

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Quote Originally Posted by anfrey View Post
    not that i know of, but i don't think it'd be very hard to write a small j2me app that would auto-load on startup, play a sound file, and self-terminate. i don't have much java coding knowledge, though, or i'd attempt it myself.

be aware, though, that once the OS is "loaded and operational," the 'group calendar' application may still be running its sync procedures. this explains why sometimes the OS is a bit laggy right after bootup.
    ...Maybe some buddy with that type of know-how could come up with something like that. It's a challenge !

snipes mcgee no está en línea Stack level 4
    I think this is what you want...

Options > Advanced Options > Accessibility > Event Sounds: On

The sounds aren't customizable, but it's pretty much what you want. The phone makes a sound when you plug/unplug a headset and the microUSB port, an escalating chime when the battery is low and a chime when the phone is powered off (by using the power button) and on (from the power button or from booting up).

Hope this helps.
    I have a BlackBerry and a WhiteApple. :)

PIN/ID
    Nope!
    Snipes thanks didn't know.It' part of an option I never thought of using!

Nice - thanks Snipes! That's pretty much what I'm looking for... now to find a way to make it customizable. I have no coding knowledge here, but it's not something I'm too worried about... The default sounds will have to work.

Thanks again!

jzarowitz no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    NexsOne
    I think this is a neat request and a good idea. Since it takes quite sometime to boot these devices, it would be nice to know when its ready to go without having to keep looking at the screen. I swap my battery each morning and then holster my device, but find that over the next 5 min while it boots, I am always looking at it to see when its up and running.... having an audible note of when its ready would be nice.
    I'm a born again Androider

anfrey no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    A5KME41T
    Quote Originally Posted by snipes mcgee View Post
    I think this is what you want...

Options > Advanced Options > Accessibility > Event Sounds: On

The sounds aren't customizable, but it's pretty much what you want. The phone makes a sound when you plug/unplug a headset and the microUSB port, an escalating chime when the battery is low and a chime when the phone is powered off (by using the power button) and on (from the power button or from booting up).

Hope this helps.
    wow, i did not know about this option. certainly easier than having to code a J2ME applet.

SeRViiCiiO no está en línea Stack level 5
    so with the event sound on, will it make a noise when the phone boots up?
    Phone: T-Mo S4- Stock-Rooted

[Former]
    Device: T-Mobile S3
    Device: HTC Amaze 4G
    Device: HTC Vision (T-Mobile G2)
    Device: BlackBerry (9700, 8900,8320,8120,8100)

Quote Originally Posted by SeRViiCiiO View Post
    so with the event sound on, will it make a noise when the phone boots up?

I turned the option on, and just like Snipes mentioned, it makes a pre-set noise after it has booted, while it displays the carrier splash screen - same for turning it off... Here is the original quote.

<<The phone makes a sound when you plug/unplug a headset and the microUSB port, an escalating chime when the battery is low and a chime when the phone is powered off (by using the power button) and on (from the power button or from booting up).>>