Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

i don't have a data plan on my phone and when i turn on data ... BlackBerry Bold forum

whaitdo no está en línea Stack level 2

SOS in the top right hand corner..

Advertisement

i don't have a data plan on my phone and when i turn on data to use Wi-Fi sometimes in the top right hand corner it would say SOS. Do you know what the problem is?

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    The SOS is telling you that you don't have a carrier (phone) signal. It doesn't have any connection to whether or not you have a data plan. In other words, no signal, no phone calls in or out. That condition will also deplete your battery faster than usual because the phone is going to constantly seek a signal (connection.)
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by jblackfish View Post
    The SOS is telling you that you don't have a carrier (phone) signal. It doesn't have any connection to whether or not you have a data plan. In other words, no signal, no phone calls in or out. That condition will also deplete your battery faster than usual because the phone is going to constantly seek a signal (connection.)
    do you know why it does that? it only does that when i have data turned on. but when i have data turned off its fine.

If you're talking about Options>Mobil Network>Data Services that's your phone service - NOT your data plan service. When you turn off Data Services you're turning off your carrier service, thus, the phone is turned off. That too has nothing to do with the fact that you don't have a data plan. It's a little confusing but that's that way it works. The key is it's the data service on your mobile network rather than your data plan. Got it?
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by whaitdo View Post
    i don't have a data plan on my phone and when i turn on data to use Wi-Fi sometimes in the top right hand corner it would say SOS. Do you know what the problem is?
    Answer to this depends on what you mean by turning data on and off - are you doing so at options>mobile network>data services as jblackfish suspects? Or through the Manage Connections icon?

The red SOS indicates that the phone is off, but available for emergency calls only.

In order to use Wi-Fi on a 9700 without a data plan, all you need is to make sure the Wi-Fi on the device is enabled and connected to your router, and you should be able to access the internet by using the browser. You should be able to do this whether the phone is on or off, or whether "Data Services" are on or off . . . so you don't need to worry about those settings.

When I go through mobile network>data services OFF - it doesn't say sos. But when I have data services ON - it says sos. Do you know how to fix the problem?

When I go through mobile network>data services OFF - it doesn't say sos. But when I have data services ON - it says sos. Do you know how to fix the problem?
    Post #4 explains what you just asked.

Quote Originally Posted by jblackfish View Post
    Post #4 explains what you just asked.
    You're saying that if i turn data services off means that i am turning off my phone services right? But that's wrong because when i turn data services off i can still recieve calls/text msgs and make calls/text msgs. And like i said when i have data services off i can use my phone no problem, but when i turn data services on it always says SOS

You're saying that if i turn data services off means that i am turning off my phone services right? But that's wrong because when i turn data services off i can still recieve calls/text msgs and make calls/text msgs. And like i said when i have data services off i can use my phone no problem, but when i turn data services on it always says SOS
    I just spent a few minutes with my device to confirm how it works. On a 9700 running 5.0.0.656: Assuming that both "Wi-Fi" and "Mobile Network" are both switched on under the "Manage Connections" tab, when Data Services is on, everything is available (Phone, SMS, MMS, Data through a Data Plan if you have one, and internet/UMA through Wi-Fi). With Data Services off, all there is available is Phone and SMS. Everything else, (MMS - Internet - Wi-Fi - etc) is disabled. This may be device or OS dependent, because jblackfish's experience is different:
    When you turn off Data Services you're turning off your carrier service, thus, the phone is turned off.
    My suggestion is simply to leave Data Services on (stop switching it off/on whenever you are using Wi-Fi) and there should be no problem. I can access the internet through Wi-Fi anywhere there is service available regardless, and with your phone you should be able to also.

Again, the red SOS, when you see it, indicates that the phone is disable except for emergency calls (hence the SOS)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
    I just spent a few minutes with my device to confirm how it works. On a 9700 running 5.0.0.656: Assuming that both "Wi-Fi" and "Mobile Network" are both switched on under the "Manage Connections" tab, when Data Services is on, everything is available (Phone, SMS, MMS, Data through a Data Plan if you have one, and internet/UMA through Wi-Fi). With Data Services off, all there is available is Phone and SMS. Everything else, (MMS - Internet - Wi-Fi - etc) is disabled. This may be device or OS dependent, because jblackfish's experience is different: My suggestion is simply to leave Data Services on (stop switching it off/on whenever you are using Wi-Fi) and there should be no problem. I can access the internet through Wi-Fi anywhere there is service available regardless, and with your phone you should be able to also

Again, the red SOS, when you see it, indicates that the phone is disable except for emergency calls (hence the SOS)
    so i should just leave data services on even when im not using wifi?

i was reading around on the internet. a lot of people have the same problem and it said i should try gettin a new sim card. do you think that will work?

Sorry if I misled, whaitdo. The Bold and the newer OS is evidently different from older devices with the 4. OS's installed. My examples are related to the 8330 and 8120 using the pre-5.0 OS.

so i should just leave data services on even when im not using wifi?
    Yes.

i was reading around on the internet. a lot of people have the same problem and it said i should try gettin a new sim card. do you think that will work?
    No. If you feel like you want to get a new SIM it won't hurt anything (except your wallet [grin]) but there's nothing to indicate that the SIM is the problem . . .

do you think it's something wrong with the OS? I am using OS 5.0.0.545

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast