Hi - I have already posted on these and other forums about problems experienced upgrading ... BlackBerry Bold forum

Osprey no está en línea Stack level 2

Software upgrade to 6.0 bundle 2534 - so many glitches ! Please help.

Advertisement

Hi -

I have already posted on these and other forums about problems experienced upgrading BB software via desktop manager, from previous 5.0 xxxx versions. I have used a BB Bold 9700 for a year - and upgraded about 2 weeks ago to the new software.

The latest finding is a real issue - and I gather one which has negatively affected many other users. I am seriously thinking of defecting to an iPhone after 4 years of BB usage, I have just about had enough of wasting time dealing with niggles caused - but not rectified - by RIM.

On my old software, I used to be able to go to a general Search function and input any text, then ask the BB to search Calendar/Notes/Address book etc. On the latest software, this function seems to have disappeared. As other users have commented, RIM seems to think we are more interested in searching Facebook, rather than the valuable data we have spent hours inputting on our own devices. The Search function has in effect become useless - it can't even find my own phone number, which is under my own Address Book entry.

There are loads of other niggles with this new software (it robbed me of my previous ringtone and the "new" substitutes were poor; it takes ages to find who called me and dial their number; it has (needless) new features which are inadequately explained in the Help function; the online Ask a Question feature is utterly useless etc..

Can anyone tell me, before I take a sledgehammer to this increasingly irritating piece of equipment (which I used to love) if there is a fix - or if the only thing to do is to go back to an earlier version of the software and how to do this ?

Grateful in advance for your replies and apologies for being so fed up !

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Well, there are those of us who love(d) the OS 6 software......granted, in my case, I was on a Torch and have no experience with it on a keyboard-only device like the 9700.

My advice? If you love your 9700 (like I did when I had one......long before the advent of OS 6), then downgrade to the latest 5.0 software version. You'll find many options to choose from here on PinStack, with regard to the OS.

As for how to do it.....simple really. Just download and install an app called BBSAK (BlackBerry Swiss Army Knife). You'll use that to wipe the OS from your device so you can start from scratch. You can also use it to load back your 5.0 OS, but I prefer to use the Loader executable from within the OS folders of the installed OS.

Back up and save your current data. Not sure if you have any apps you want to backup, but you should do that as well, otherwise simply reinstall them after the downgrade.

I have all the old BlackBerry ringtones saved off, if you want to get those back. As for your other issues, all I can say is that if you were happy with 5.0, then by all means revert back to it. While there are many here who are loving the 6.0 OS on their 9700s, others like yourself don't like it so much. Go with what you know and love.

Osprey, what version of the OS are you using that doesn't have the search function? 5 has it as a menu option, and 6 has it as either a menu option and/or directly typing the search item in from the homescreen. If you have 6.0 installed currently, you should be able to type in an item (a person's name, for example) directly from the home screen, and then you will be presented with a detail of places to search, both online and locally. For example, if I type "Troy" at the homescreen, then several options appear: Find "Troy" on Facebook, Google, YouTube, Contacts, Messages, Pictures, Videos, etc. If this isn't working, perhaps you should try a refresh of your 6.0 install before you give up and go back to 5 -- or - gag -- buy an Eye Phone [grin]

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Hey now!

Osprey no está en línea Stack level 2
    Thanks for your replies. I will consider both options proposed. By way of example: on the old system, if a number called me which I didn't recognise, I could key in the last few digits into the search function and it would quickly search through all manner of places on my BB - accurately. Now, as I stated earlier, it can't even find my own telephone number from Contacts and also the list of Apps it searches through include many that I never use (like Facebook etc.). When I Googled this issue earlier today, there seemed to be plenty of other users complaining of the same problem, some even accusing RIM of a conspiracy whereby they have excised various data fields from the search purely in order to make searches appear faster - I wouldnt know, but in general I would say that RIM should issue more detailed guidelines as to what a user can expect from a OS upgrade before recommending it. This has been a bit like getting half a new computer, which doesn't work very well, without any instructions....and I used to think a BB was a labour-saving device !