I think we have all been waiting for the Skype application to come to BlackBerry. ... BlackBerry Bold forum

DPC
    DPC no está en línea Stack level 3

Skype For BlackBerry Coming May 1st!

Advertisement

I think we have all been waiting for the Skype application to come to BlackBerry. One of my friends got it for his iPhone and I played around with it and I must say I really liked the interface.

Now I checked out Skype's site and there is one thing I'm not completely sure about.

1. If I just want to have an IM convo with anyone of my contacts will it just use my data plan?
    2. If I make or receive a call from someone using Skype on their PC or using the Skype application on a iPhone or BlackBerry will we both be using our data plan and minutes?
    3. If I have credits on Skype and place a call to a landline or mobile number will it use my local airtime minutes as well as my Skype credits? I just don't want to be charged for making a long distance call and have to use my Skype credits as well as being charged for long distance charges by my carrier (Rogers).

Thanks in advance.

Hopefully both Skyfire and Skype come out for the BB on the same day ...Yeah I know that's wishful thinking!
    In heaven, all the interesting people are missing - Friedrich Nietzsche

SGZrazberry no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Just ask
    hmmm Im watching as well. I am also on Rogers, and pay for unlimited Canada/US on skype. The skype website is unclear at the best of times even with the basic packages, Im not sure they will be much better explaining the BB cell usage
    godsdameatIluvdezlittleboxes

The answer to everything?...BBSAK http://rimgeeks.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=56

brianjr1988 no está en línea Device Expert
    PIN/ID
    just ask
    Quote Originally Posted by DPC View Post
    I think we have all been waiting for the Skype application to come to BlackBerry. One of my friends got it for his iPhone and I played around with it and I must say I really liked the interface.

Now I checked out Skype's site and there is one thing I'm not completely sure about.

1. If I just want to have an IM convo with anyone of my contacts will it just use my data plan?
    2. If I make or receive a call from someone using Skype on their PC or using the Skype application on a iPhone or BlackBerry will we both be using our data plan and minutes?
    3. If I have credits on Skype and place a call to a landline or mobile number will it use my local airtime minutes as well as my Skype credits? I just don't want to be charged for making a long distance call and have to use my Skype credits as well as being charged for long distance charges by my carrier (Rogers).

Thanks in advance.

Hopefully both Skyfire and Skype come out for the BB on the same day ...Yeah I know that's wishful thinking!
    yea would be sweet for skyfire and skype to come out on the same day but i dunno skype on the bb for the im part yes but for the calling no cause u pay for that already and to use sky to call i dunno inless it was long dis but even then your carrier would have a good long dis package so at that point skype calling would be come one big epic fail.

in my eyes they should just have a im version and calling/im version or just stick to the skype im service

DPC
    Thanks for both your replies.

I actually have 1000 unlimited minutes within Canada and the US (from Rogers...They gave this to me after making a huge mistake once). And I don't call anywhere else in the world, and if I have to I just use a calling card.

I've never used Skype to make long distance calls (just calls to other Skype contacts to have video chats) and I mainly just want a Skype client to send IM's. As long as sending IM's just uses my data plan then I'm more than happy to use their app for free instead of paying for an app to do the same thing.

And I just sent Skype an email asking to clarify my questions and if they get back to me I'll make sure to post the email here.

BTW, I completely agree about having seperate clients...It'd make things a lot simplier! First time I heard that idea but it would be terrific.

brianjr1988 no está en línea Device Expert
    PIN/ID
    just ask
    Thanks for both your replies.

I actually have 1000 unlimited minutes within Canada and the US (from Rogers...They gave this to me after making a huge mistake once). And I don't call anywhere else in the world, and if I have to I just use a calling card.

I've never used Skype to make long distance calls (just calls to other Skype contacts to have video chats) and I mainly just want a Skype client to send IM's. As long as sending IM's just uses my data plan then I'm more than happy to use their app for free instead of paying for an app to do the same thing.

And I just sent Skype an email asking to clarify my questions and if they get back to me I'll make sure to post the email here.

BTW, I completely agree about having seperate clients...It'd make things a lot simplier! First time I heard that idea but it would be terrific.

yea the skype im with voice on a blackberry would be nice cause typin all the time in a im can be a pain in the ____

so lets hope someone over there put that idea in the box for them lol

SGZrazberry no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Just ask
    my understanding is that the skype app will use a dial in number thus causing you to use your cell plan minutes regardless. The iphone uses wifi only so is true voip. Why the BB app wont have this is beyond me. I assume someone is not wanting to lose out on money for cell minutes.
    godsdameatIluvdezlittleboxes

The answer to everything?...BBSAK http://rimgeeks.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=56

spidave no está en línea Stack level 2
    It's May 1st already I haven't seen any post yet for skype on BB
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

mac14x no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    217a1629
    Cool, my sister will love this
    ~90 people get the swine flu and everyone is wearing face masks. Millions of people have AIDS but no one wears condoms...

jzarowitz no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    NexsOne
    may 1st has come and gone... wheres the dl link?

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Quote Originally Posted by SGZrazberry View Post
    my understanding is that the skype app will use a dial in number thus causing you to use your cell plan minutes regardless. The iphone uses wifi only so is true voip. Why the BB app wont have this is beyond me. I assume someone is not wanting to lose out on money for cell minutes.
    This is my understanding too (about using cell minutes) re: making Skype calls on a BB.

I hope that it gets delayed because are working out whatever "kinks" there may be preventing it's use on BB phones with wi-fi. I can't imagine them omitting that for BBs either.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

DPC
    Sorry to disappoint you guys but check this out: http://www.berryreview.com/2009/04/0...oip-surprised/

I also sent Skype an email and they replied by saying that they can't say when they will be releasing the BlackBerry app but that it will be real soon.

Well, that's a bummer but it's exactly what I suspected although not what I'd hoped for. I already have IM+ for Skype so there's really no point in my changing. It uses minutes too, that you pay for in advance. It's very disappointing that they're not going to allow the w-ifi Blackberrys to use the wi-fi feature of Skype but it appears that they're not.
    Sorry to disappoint you guys but check this out: http://www.berryreview.com/2009/04/0...oip-surprised/

I also sent Skype an email and they replied by saying that they can't say when they will be releasing the BlackBerry app but that it will be real soon.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~
    Last edited by jblackfish; 05-03-2009 at 09:17 AM.

darryl71 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    retired
    I am hoping that its pure wifi and that it wont count towards minutes or data then.

Waiting patiently.....

mayhem60 no está en línea Stack level 1
    [FONT=Verdana]You guys seems to forget that there is a whole world out there that does not have unlimited plan, or local numbers to call, or any of the good stuffs you have in the US and Canada.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]I used to have an HTC and Skype worked like a charm on that using WIFI. Now I have a BB, office rules, and no Skype [/FONT]

mayhem, We don't forget you guys at all. We know you're out there and will do our best to answer your questions and help when we can, within the scope of how you use your smartphone.

Keep the posts coming and, when you do, remind us of your specific circumstances.

UPDATE: BTW, if you'll update your profile when you get the chance to your location, device, carrier, etc., it'll help users answer your questions more knowledgeably too. Thanks.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com