I just received my bold and everything seems to be working ok with the exception ... BlackBerry Bold forum

hoosierdaddynow no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    249f8227

Signal Quality

Advertisement

I just received my bold and everything seems to be working ok with the exception of signal strength and quality. I am currently in a solid 3g area and the bold will not stay on it very long before switching to edge. My wife has a iphone 3g and she has had a solid 5 bars of 3g for hours. Even when on 3g I only get 2-3 bars. I know bars don't mean a lot but when I only have 3 bars of edge and my wife has 5 bars of 3G.... I called att customer support and he informed me that edge was better than 3G and the tech said that she did not know if the bold even uses edge... I am running .247 os. I don't know if this is a common issue or should I have att send me out aanother phone? Thanks
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    hoosier,
    The phones MAY measure and/or report the signal strength differently. Do you have any friends that either have a bold or iphone you can compare to? Other than that I'd see if you can try another Bold and see if it registers the same strength.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

PIN/ID
    249f8227
    Just my wifes iphone 3g. And as much as I hate to say it, is much more stable than mine. I can be outside not moving and go from 5 bars of 3g down to 2 bars of edge within min. I have never had this much variance of signal with any phone.

alryder no está en línea Stack level 3
    My son had similar problems with his iPhone when he got it but I had good signal strength on my Bold purchased at the sane time. AT&T replaced his sim card and it corrected the problem. Maybe replacing the sim card would work for the Bold too.

Replacing the SIM card - I wouldn't have thought that would solve a signal strength problem. Go figure.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

alryder no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by jblackfish View Post
    Replacing the SIM card - I wouldn't have thought that would solve a signal strength problem. Go figure.
    When the rep at the store suggested it I thought he was crazy and almost demanded a new phone. He talked me into trying the sim card and the phone has been great every since.

Maybe you can find THAT rep again. It's worth a try. Good luck.

PIN/ID
    249f8227
    It looks like I got a hold of a good tech. She looked and said that some of my parameters were wrong. Since then I have had no fewer than 4 bars of 3g. Signal is not going up and down in big jumps. Now I am really liking my bold.
    Hope the problem is gone for good. Thanks for the help.

Great! Glad it looks fixed and hope it stays that way.

PIN/ID
    249f8227
    So far so good. I have had pretty much the same signal as my wifes 3g.

jusMikeP no está en línea Stack level 3
    I guess that just goes to show how experiences can very greatly from person to person and from area to area. I have both the Bold and the iPhone 3G and my Bold seems to hold on to the signal slightly better than my iPhone. I frequently have "no service" in my house on my iPhone but my Bold almost always has at least 1 bar. I do lose service on my Bold as well but not nearly as often.

It's puzzling to me how different the signals can register on both hooser's AND jusMike's devices. Is this a difference in quality/manufacturing or do you think it's settings?

To jusMike: have you checked into iphone settings as a possibility for your iphone signal problem? Just wondering if that's a possibile solution for you. If signal strength is there, it ought to be there for both devices.

PIN/ID
    249f8227
    My wife's iphone used to be mine. When I first purchased it in november, signal quality was awlful. They had a couple of updates that helped and one update that I think that just made the signal look better than it was. I almost never had less than 4 bars of 3g. It would go from 4 bars of 3g to edge almost every time. I think that the bold's signal is more believable. The iphone is not a bad phone, I just miss the blackberry experience.