Blackberrys are great, however, with the Pin identifiers they make it difficult when upgrading devices! ... BlackBerry Bold forum

syclone1978 no está en línea Stack level 2

Should only pay once for apps? NOT what eMobistudio.com believes!

Advertisement

Blackberrys are great, however, with the Pin identifiers they make it difficult when upgrading devices!

I paid for the registration code of the application when I got my first Pearl 8100, then upgraded to the Pearl 8110 with GPS when it came out. Now I upgraded to the Bold.

Vendors like eMobistudio.com, makers of MemoryUp for Blackberry, do not believe that it is there problem if you get another BB. They want more money for the same application to re-register it.

Yes the site, (now updated to read this) allows 2 re-registrations for 1 year, but when I purchased it before it never stated that. Plus third party application sites like Handango.com do not state that information.

I contacted both Handango and eMobistudio support for a new registration for my Bold and Handango says to contact the vendor, eMobistudio says that I have to buy it again at a 20% discount.

Am I the only one who has any problems when upgrading devices and not being able to keep the applications you paid for the registration codes on your old device?

Any input would be great. As I am now looking for another memory application from another vendor who respects me as a customer.

Kyo0tdemon no está en línea Stack level 5
    Quote Originally Posted by syclone1978 View Post
    Blackberrys are great, however, with the Pin identifiers they make it difficult when upgrading devices!

I paid for the registration code of the application when I got my first Pearl 8100, then upgraded to the Pearl 8110 with GPS when it came out. Now I upgraded to the Bold.

Vendors like eMobistudio.com, makers of MemoryUp for Blackberry, do not believe that it is there problem if you get another BB. They want more money for the same application to re-register it.

Yes the site, (now updated to read this) allows 2 re-registrations for 1 year, but when I purchased it before it never stated that. Plus third party application sites like Handango.com do not state that information.

I contacted both Handango and eMobistudio support for a new registration for my Bold and Handango says to contact the vendor, eMobistudio says that I have to buy it again at a 20% discount.

Am I the only one who has any problems when upgrading devices and not being able to keep the applications you paid for the registration codes on your old device?

Any input would be great. As I am now looking for another memory application from another vendor who respects me as a customer.

I couldn't agree more with you, but I also understand that companies that make bb applications would also like to make more money as well as we live in a capitalist society. Further, I know that there are makers of apps that obligate you to purchase apps for every single bb you've ever own and/or intend on owning. I, myself, find that to be very disturbing however, have been suckered into purchasing apps when I feel they are worth it. There are apps out there that do not obligate you to purchase the same app for a different device and I totally give props to them. (i.e. BeeJive)

Anyhow, I think that you should try the threads on PS in the meantime to see if you can find a free data storage app. I'm pretty sure you can find it in the 3rd party applications thread(s). In the meantime, I will try to help you find some.

cornelious0_0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    235B134C
    You're not the only one frustrated by this, but there are ways around this whole fiasco. Many applications out there are only offered on a per-device basis, but this is not always the case. Some applications are also offered on a per-user basis, but not often.

I know that the PIN recognition can make software purchasing akward, but its not breaking any laws as I'm sure RIM is aware of the situation. We have similar software licensing issues with computer software though so I tend not to make to much of a fuss.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

VR
    VR no está en línea Stack level 3
    it is like buying norton antivirus 2008 and 2009. you have to pay to upgrade. if you are switching a device, then i wouldnt see the problem. it takes time and money to design software for new devices and should deserve to be paid for their product.
    My blackberry is anti-Obama Bin Llama

syclone1978 no está en línea Stack level 2
    Well "VR" you must work for software companies like eMobistudio because you feel it is ok to purchase the same application multiple times just because the device upgrades.

Can you explain to me how if I purchase something (I now own it) I can not do with it what I wish?

Example is the registration should be able to be updated each time I need it. They have proof I purchased it.

Like itune downloads, if I pay for it, then the appropriate people are getting their end of the deal. Then I should be able to do with it what I wish, I should be able to put it on a CD or on my BB or what ever I want. I own it, they received their licensing fees and franshise money. But instead, I purchased from itunes and it is protected so I can not convert it to put it on my BB. (This is just an example)

Point I'm trying to make is I'm not mad at you or anyone, it's I just do not agree with eMobistudio's policy and therefore will no longer purchase from them or other vendors like them.

You know who is excellent in regard to new registration licenses? Bplay.com, they have it set where you put in your old stuff and it gives you new ones!! Talk about thinking of the customer!!!!!!!!!!!

VR
    VR no está en línea Stack level 3
    complain to every other software company as well, they charge because they 'upgrade' their software yearly. even the OS you are running on your computer, doesn't look like you are running windows 3.1 nor dos for that matter.
    Last edited by doughdaddy; 12-06-2008 at 10:42 PM. Reason: language
    My blackberry is anti-Obama Bin Llama

Ge
    Ge no está en línea Stack level 4
    The flip side of the coin, a user can register an application and then claim they have a new device when in actual fact they are getting a second serial number for a friend.

There is no clear solution to the problem. But the ability to re-register is a step in the right direction.

mjwood0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    complain to every other software company as well, they charge because they 'upgrade' their software yearly. even the OS you are running on your computer, doesn't look like you are running windows 3.1 nor dos for that matter.

In my opinion, you're totally missing the point.

One does not buy software. One buys the license to use the software. Much like the music industry. One does not buy the song. They license the song for personal use.

There is no argument that paying for new versions is perfectly fine.

What you need to understand is that if I buy a Windows XP license, I should be able to use it on my computer. But lets say I upgrade the motherboard, memory and processor. According to Microsoft, I have to purchase a new license as I changed too much of my system.

For this reason, I will not pay Microsoft for their Operating Systems. Furthermore, I will not purchase software which does not follow me to a new device. I'm not saying I want to run it on multiple devices at the same time, I just want to be able to provide any hardware I want and use the software license I purchased.

Speak with you money. It's the only way companies like this will listen. Furthermore, send their support an e-mail stating that you liked the demo of the product but until they offer a fair license scheme, you won't be purchasing it. If enough people do this, they may start to listen. One never knows.
    As always, just my opinion...
    mjwood0 (at) pinstack (.) com
    Remove PTT | OS Upgrade

cornelious0_0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    235B134C
    Quote Originally Posted by mjwood0 View Post
    For this reason, I will not pay Microsoft for their Operating Systems. Furthermore, I will not purchase software which does not follow me to a new device. I'm not saying I want to run it on multiple devices at the same time, I just want to be able to provide any hardware I want and use the software license I purchased.
    I'm with you on this one, I also refuse to pay for software that I am not able to carry over to a new device, whether its my phone or my computer. I'm not saying I promote software piracy, but MS and many other companies are never gonna see a dime from me if they stay as money hungry as they are.

PIN/ID
    LESS
    Strange. I've never had that issue. I usually email the developer a nice letter asking them for a change and voila they send me a new registration code. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Arrow Couldn't agree

hello, i couldn't agree with you. the following is the email from their customer service.

"According to my company's policy, each customer is eligible to one year's free upgrade and one time to transfer license in case of swapping phone. (After that, you may only need to renew your license with a 30% discount from our website at http://emobistudio.com/networkacc.asp). Based on this, you are totally eligible to one time free transfer license to your BlackBerry device"

That's mean Emobistudio give one more time to transfer license in case swapping phone.maybe you are missing something. and by the ways, i got the news from email said that the new version of Networkacc will be released next week.I am waiting! ahaaa
    Last edited by Lavagirl; 08-20-2009 at 11:14 PM.

camshafter no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask
    memory up has a free version of this app at there web site..you just cant schedule boost, you have to open the app to do so..it works...

psi chick no está en línea Stack level 4
    this is why i make sure of the policy before i buy anything. i've only purchase programs from empower (email viewer, sms thread, and sms pop up) and i have beejive, both of which allow you to change your pin. if not, this would have been a major issue for me last year as i went through three (yes three!) 8310's in the matter of 4 weeks. if they had not allowed for a device transfer i would have ended up paying for the software numerous times.

both of those companies btw both make great programs and their customer service is excellent. i've had to contact empower a few times with questions or bug reports, and they always get back to me within a day with a solution. excellent company.

GregGebhardt no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    No Way
    Well "VR" you must work for software companies like eMobistudio because you feel it is ok to purchase the same application multiple times just because the device upgrades.

Can you explain to me how if I purchase something (I now own it) I can not do with it what I wish?

Example is the registration should be able to be updated each time I need it. They have proof I purchased it.

Like itune downloads, if I pay for it, then the appropriate people are getting their end of the deal. Then I should be able to do with it what I wish, I should be able to put it on a CD or on my BB or what ever I want. I own it, they received their licensing fees and franshise money. But instead, I purchased from itunes and it is protected so I can not convert it to put it on my BB. (This is just an example)

Point I'm trying to make is I'm not mad at you or anyone, it's I just do not agree with eMobistudio's policy and therefore will no longer purchase from them or other vendors like them.

You know who is excellent in regard to new registration licenses? Bplay.com, they have it set where you put in your old stuff and it gives you new ones!! Talk about thinking of the customer!!!!!!!!!!!
    Sorry to inform you but if YOU had read the fine print you would have found out that you do NOT own this software. It is more like a lease to be used on the device you installed it on and no more!

Get as upset as you wish but this is not the only company that does this.
    Greg
    in Jax, FL