Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Glad I could offer something. Hopefully that's it, though I doubt the GPS was drawing ... BlackBerry Bold forum

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional

Advertisement

Glad I could offer something. Hopefully that's it, though I doubt the GPS was drawing all that current. Who knows though, keep us informed.

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    What I have found is that some Apps will access the GPS even when they appear to be shut down. An example of this is Google Latitude, when you close the program it gives you the option to continue sharing your location or not, I normally do not. If you do I think the software will access your GPS at intervals so it can share your location with your friends who are also on Lattitude. I have a feeling that this would be the same with the Facebook App which gives you the option to share your location and any other app that does this. Obviously if there is no GPS it triangulates based on cell phone towers, but this does not provide as accurate results. If you are indoors however the GPS radio has difficulty finding the satellites it will then continue searching (using up the battery).

E911 stands for Enhanced 911 and it is there for the emergency operators to be able to identify the location of the person making the 911 call, this is easy in the case of a home phone since the telephone number has an address associated with it, and so they emergency crews can go to that address, not so easy with a cell phone, so there is a database that is accessed first find the cell tower that the call is routed through and then triangulating to the phone itself, which helps locating you. The database is only accessible supposedly by the government agency. Of course this is where Apple and the Iphone got into trouble as the database on the phone provide the location of the user at all times. You have to call out for them to locate you.
    Location on - the phone pings the cell towers so it would be possible to identify your location just because you have a phone on you. According to the carriers there is no battery drain from this - or at least it is not significant. Apparently on Verizon it is slightly difference in that location on does use the GPS specifically for their navigation software and family location software, in addition to the Ping of cell phone towers, the GPS is used, so this is likely to drain the battery somewhat.

These two items are not related to the GPS radio, as a GPS is not required for it.
    Last edited by dushdavj; 09-02-2011 at 03:52 AM.
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2

JavaBratt no está en línea Stack Professional
    Quote Originally Posted by dushdavj View Post
    What I have found is that some Apps will access the GPS even when they appear to be shut down. An example of this is Google Latitude, when you close the program it gives you the option to continue sharing your location or not, I normally do not. If you do I think the software will access your GPS at intervals so it can share your location with your friends who are also on Lattitude. I have a feeling that this would be the same with the Facebook App which gives you the option to share your location and any other app that does this. Obviously if there is no GPS it triangulates based on cell phone towers, but this does not provide as accurate results. If you are indoors however the GPS radio has difficulty finding the satellites it will then continue searching (using up the battery).

E911 stands for Enhanced 911 and it is there for the emergency operators to be able to identify the location of the person making the 911 call, this is easy in the case of a home phone since the telephone number has an address associated with it, and so they emergency crews can go to that address, not so easy with a cell phone, so there is a database that is accessed first find the cell tower that the call is routed through and then triangulating to the phone itself, which helps locating you. The database is only accessible supposedly by the government agency. Of course this is where Apple and the Iphone got into trouble as the database on the phone provide the location of the user at all times. You have to call out for them to locate you.
    Location on - the phone pings the cell towers so it would be possible to identify your location just because you have a phone on you. According to the carriers there is no battery drain from this - or at least it is not significant. Apparently on Verizon it is slightly difference in that location on does use the GPS specifically for their navigation software and family location software, in addition to the Ping of cell phone towers, the GPS is used, so this is likely to drain the battery somewhat.

These two items are not related to the GPS radio, as a GPS is not required for it.
    Thanks for explaining this for me, it makes a lot more sense to me now, except I don't get what you mean by the two not being related to the GPS radio as that is where I located those options was under GPS :-s But I may just be reading it wrong. I've been on a 16-hour theme bender and am on my second or third gallon of coffee, so my brain has the jitters LOL!

But here is a quick battery update...

Since I turned off GPS yesterday (switched it from Location On to E911 Only), I have actually seen somewhat a difference as I've not been forced to charge my phone once today, which is pretty much the first time ever.

I had also forgotten about having BlackBerry News Feeds since it doesn't show it as running in the background, so I switched it from checking for updates every two hours, to every 24-hours.

I started with a full battery at 8am Friday morning and its now 12:50am Saturday morning and my battery is at 55% with lite to moderate use during that time. Plus I've been testing themes on it on/off a good portion of the day. According to Tiny Meter, I used an average of 3.8% per hour which is a pretty big difference considering the other day I believe I figured it out to be more around 10-12% per hour. However, I may have used it more on those days.

So I will give it the weekend to get a better estimate, but so far so good. If it's still lasting like this come Monday I am going to reinstall SmrtGuard and see how it does then

Thanks to all of you for your input, which has been a tremendous help with getting this issue narrowed down. I REALLY appreciate it and I'll post another update after the weekend.
    iPhone 5C | iOS 7.0.4
    iPad 3 - 32GB | iOS 7.0.4

Theme Support Info

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    After I posted the comment I found that Verizon on smart phones do use the GPS on Location to provide improved accuracy so sorry for the confusion. It should also be noted that law enforcement need a Judge to approve them accessing the records.

I am glad you are seeing an improvement though that's good news
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123