Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

If it is SmrtGuard, I'm sure it's something they'd like to know, so keep us ... BlackBerry Bold forum

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator

Advertisement

If it is SmrtGuard, I'm sure it's something they'd like to know, so keep us posted.

JavaBratt no está en línea Stack Professional
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerG View Post
    If it is SmrtGuard, I'm sure it's something they'd like to know, so keep us posted.
    I most certainly will let them know, as well as keep you guys updated ;-)
    iPhone 5C | iOS 7.0.4
    iPad 3 - 32GB | iOS 7.0.4

Theme Support Info

When I replied in post #7 my battery was at 96%, post #10 it dropped to 92% and post #15 it dropped to 90%. So I lost 6% just posting those 3 replies from my device. During which time all that happened was I received email notifications of the posts I was replying too.

As of right now my battery is at 86% and I've not done anything with my device since my reply in post #15. So even now that I have deleted SmrtGuard, my battery is losing a pretty steady 1% about every five minutes or less.

Does this seem normal to you guys?
    iPhone 5C | iOS 7.0.4

Theme Support Info

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Couldn't say. On my tab its about 10% an hour for moderate to heavy use. Would think that it'd be much better on your bb

Yeah, it doesn't seem normal to drop that fast. Maybe a fresh OS install would clear out whatever little critter is inside your device wreaking havoc on your battery life.

Quote Originally Posted by jfcooley View Post
    Couldn't say. On my tab its about 10% an hour for moderate to heavy use. Would think that it'd be much better on your bb
    Yeah I'm losing at minimum 10-12% an hour with minimal use. Moderate to heavy costs me around 50% in an hour

Yeah, it doesn't seem normal to drop that fast. Maybe a fresh OS install would clear out whatever little critter is inside your device wreaking havoc on your battery life.
    I had to wipe my device last week I believe it was, following Verizon's directions to resolve a browser issue (it timed out constantly). So while I was at it I used the Shrink-a-OS. Even though the battery issue started before I did this, could that cause any further battery issues that I'm not aware of?
    iPhone 5C | iOS 7.0.4

Theme Support Info

I would think that shrinking your OS would IMPROVE battery life, not diminish it.

Just did another device reboot for giggles and it took me from 86% to 84% LMAO!
    iPhone 5C | iOS 7.0.4

Theme Support Info

I would think that shrinking your OS would IMPROVE battery life, not diminish it.
    That's what I thought, but I don't know much about the technical aspect of the device. My knowledge ends at operating it and decorating it LOL!
    iPhone 5C | iOS 7.0.4

Theme Support Info

dushdavj no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    When I first got my Torch (with ATT) I had a major increase on data usage and the battery drained quickly, I later discovered that my address book was regularly sinking with the ATT address book, after I turned this off it proved a major improvement. A further item which really drains the battery as Roger stated is location services (anything that continually uses the GPS) for example smrtguard has follow me capabilities, if it is switched on then that would use GPS, similarly Google maps if not exited fully will continue to follow you, Google location services in the browser again can have GPS switched on, Blackberry Traffic drains the battery very quickly. I would go through any apps that you are using to see if hidden deep inside they have some sort of location service (to let your friends know where you are (Facebook has an option for example), which can leave GPS on even when the app is not in the memory.
    Just a thought to look at. I certainly don't think that the battery should drain anywhere near that quickly, unless GPS is active, when I used to use TeleNav I had to keep the phone plugged if I wanted to use it for more than a 30 minute journey otherwise the battery would die on me.
    Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. - Jack Layton (1950-2011)
    Blackberry PlayBook 64GB Nokia 1020, Microsoft Surface PRO 2

Quote Originally Posted by dushdavj View Post
    When I first got my Torch (with ATT) I had a major increase on data usage and the battery drained quickly, I later discovered that my address book was regularly sinking with the ATT address book, after I turned this off it proved a major improvement. A further item which really drains the battery as Roger stated is location services (anything that continually uses the GPS) for example smrtguard has follow me capabilities, if it is switched on then that would use GPS, similarly Google maps if not exited fully will continue to follow you, Google location services in the browser again can have GPS switched on, Blackberry Traffic drains the battery very quickly. I would go through any apps that you are using to see if hidden deep inside they have some sort of location service (to let your friends know where you are (Facebook has an option for example), which can leave GPS on even when the app is not in the memory.
    Just a thought to look at. I certainly don't think that the battery should drain anywhere near that quickly, unless GPS is active, when I used to use TeleNav I had to keep the phone plugged if I wanted to use it for more than a 30 minute journey otherwise the battery would die on me.
    I had completely forgot that Verizon offers several different sync options, so I just went and checked on that and there doesn't appear to be anything setup there.

I also never used the "follow me" option on Smrtguard, but I also deleted the app for it this morning just to see if I noticed any difference, which I haven't.

But what do you mean by having GPS switched on? I ask only because I don't ever recall turning it on, yet I know location based services work (such as Foursquare, BerryWeather, BB Maps etc).
    I looked and I don't have any google apps, traffic apps etc. The only thing I know of that would use the GPS feature on my device would be FourSquare, which I open on a per use basis so it doesn't run, and same for BlackBerry Maps. I also have SocialScope and BerryWeather, as I assume those have the ability to use GPS. Otherwise I don't think I have any other GPS enabled apps.

I've also contacted Verizon concerning this matter because it finally dawned on my that my device was a "certified like new", which is a fancy way of saying it was used and we cleaned it up LOL! I'm wondering if the battery wasn't used as well and/or bad. I'm awaiting a response from them, which will likely be to go to one of their stores since they know I live an hour away from the closest one
    iPhone 5C | iOS 7.0.4

Theme Support Info

Not sure how it works on a berry anymore, but androids usually ask for permission to turn on the GPS, once you give it permission it will on its own. I usually don't, and manually turn on and off when I need it. I think you'd still see a GPS indicator if it were being turned on by anything.

Really wish you had a different battery to swap, if for no other reason than to eliminate it as the culprit.

Not sure how it works on a berry anymore, but androids usually ask for permission to turn on the GPS, once you give it permission it will on its own. I usually don't, and manually turn on and off when I need it. I think you'd still see a GPS indicator if it were being turned on by anything.

Really wish you had a different battery to swap, if for no other reason than to eliminate it as the culprit.

Quote Originally Posted by jfcooley View Post

Well this may be part of my problem as I just now discovered that the white circle with arcs coming off to the right is the GPS indicator, as I thought it had something to do with the network or something because its been there since day one (believe it was also on my old BB).

I finally managed to find the settings for it, but I'm not really sure what to put them on since I know I do have some apps which use it. Maybe someone could offer some assistance in this area as I know nothing about this? The screen has the following options...

General
    GPS Data Source: Device GPS (only option)
    Location Services: Location On or E911 Only (its currently set to Location On)

Location Data
    Setting: Enabled, Disabled, or Disabled While Roaming (its currently set to Disabled While Roaming)

Location Aiding
    Setting: Same as above
    iPhone 5C | iOS 7.0.4

Theme Support Info

OK, never mind. I went ahead and switched it to E911 only to see if my apps still worked, which they appear to, and the other settings disappeared when I did that.

So we will see if that helps *fingers crossed*

Thanks jfcooley for bringing up the GPS, otherwise I would have continued to think the indicator was something else LOL!

But if anyone would care to explain the difference between "Location On" and "E911 Only", I would greatly appreciate it!

OK, now I'm going to go back to crossing my fingers LOL!
    iPhone 5C | iOS 7.0.4

Theme Support Info

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast