Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 34

Since day one the battery on my Bold 9650/OS6 hasn't been the greatest, but I've ... BlackBerry Bold forum

  1. #1
    JavaBratt's Avatar
    JavaBratt no está en línea Stack Professional
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    548

    Question Severe battery drain

    Advertisement



    Since day one the battery on my Bold 9650/OS6 hasn't been the greatest, but I've started to notice the last couple of weeks that it has become even worse and I'm not really sure what's causing the battery to go down so fast.

    According to Tiny Meter, which I installed maybe a week ago, the battery discharge per hour is a Minimum of 0.1% and a Maximum of 51.5%. As for where the minimum comes from I do not know as at pretty much any given time I can just about sit and literally watch my battery meter drop.

    I do of course keep several apps running all the time (some by choice and others not), plus the standard five that run no matter what (home, phone etc). So I have the following...
    SmrtGuard Mobile Securiity - scans 1x/week & backup daily all when charging anyway
    Battery Booster Professional - runs constantly, has proven to save about 7% per hour
    ScoialScope Lite - every 30 minutes because at 1 hour I get flooded with messages
    Tiny Meter - doesn't appear to make any significant difference that I can see
    BerryWeather - updates every hour
    BerryPopup - used on a per message basis, not really sure how it works
    I keep WiFi & bluetooth turned off, as I seldom if ever use them anyway. All ringtones are set to a volume of 2 or lower, as well as I have the minimum time and brightness set for the back light. Not to mention I have two charging pods so that one is handy at any given point in time, and I'm constantly charging my device throughout the day. If I use BBM Music, forget about it, as even when charging it can't keep up with the battery discharge.

    It seems to me that the problem worsened with the install of SmrtGuard, but I can't seem to find anyone else who uses it, and it doesn't make sense considering it shouldn't be doing anything but sitting there (all scheduled items are for times it is on the charger).

    All this having been said, I really don't want to have to start going through and removing apps one at a time, so does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can go about determining exactly what is causing my battery drain? Or know of an app I can use that will tell me exactly what functions are using what % of battery?

    Thanks in advance to anyone who replies!!
    iPhone 5C | iOS 7.0.4
    iPad 3 - 32GB | iOS 7.0.4

    Theme Support Info

  2. #2
    RogerG's Avatar
    RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    21,111
    JB, check the CPU usage monitor in Application Management. See if there's anything out of the ordinary going on there. SmrtGuard does have active virus protection, but I don't believe it is what is causing your battery drain.

    Generally, when you see a drain like this, there's usually some sort of location-based service running in the background that causes it, but it could be your battery is just bad, too.

  3. #3
    jfcooley's Avatar
    jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    7,479
    I have smtyguard installed, but as you probably know I use an android. I've checked and it doesn't use that much juice, however I still have the limited since I've never heard from them in regards to the contest.

    I'm gonna offer some observations with android, maybe they'll kick start an idea, don't know.
    do you have anything auto synched? Calendar, email, whatever?

    Have you unistalled smrtguard to see if it gets better without it?

    I'd offer ROM issues but know that can't be it.

    Is it possible at all that the battery has developed an issue? Is there one you can swap to see if it still does the drain?

  4. #4
    JavaBratt's Avatar
    JavaBratt no está en línea Stack Professional
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    548
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerG View Post
    JB, check the CPU usage monitor in Application Management. See if there's anything out of the ordinary going on there. SmrtGuard does have active virus protection, but I don't believe it is what is causing your battery drain.

    Generally, when you see a drain like this, there's usually some sort of location-based service running in the background that causes it, but it could be your battery is just bad, too.
    I've checked the CPU usage but I have to admit that it doesn't really make sense to me as I don't know what any of it means. For "This Week" it says 4h55m Used, 3d23h Idle and the top three apps listed are Battery Booster (55m53s), SocialScope (35m57s), and BlackBerry 6.0.0 System Software (27m23s). For "Last Week" it says, 3h46m Used, 1d11h Idle and the top three apps listed are BlackBerry App World (46m25s), SocialScope (23m39s), and Browser (21m38s). Does that seem as if there's anything out of the ordinary to you?

    As for the SmrtGuard Virus protection, I don' know how that works, I only know that I have it set to weekly at 2:00am so I know it will be on the charger when it scans. But I honestly don't see the point since I've never personally heard of anyone getting a virus on their BB anyway.

    Quote Originally Posted by jfcooley View Post
    I have smtyguard installed, but as you probably know I use an android. I've checked and it doesn't use that much juice, however I still have the limited since I've never heard from them in regards to the contest.

    I'm gonna offer some observations with android, maybe they'll kick start an idea, don't know.
    do you have anything auto synched? Calendar, email, whatever?

    Have you unistalled smrtguard to see if it gets better without it?

    I'd offer ROM issues but know that can't be it.

    Is it possible at all that the battery has developed an issue? Is there one you can swap to see if it still does the drain?
    Aside from having a backup of my data daily with SmartGuard, the only thing I know of is I have one email address which is supposed to sync my calendar and contacts. All others are set to deleted items only. But I've had that set up since I got my device and the battery issue seems to have gotten worse just recently.

    The battery could have developed an issue, however, I don't know what would have caused it. I know if I use BBM Music it gets pretty hot, pretty fast. I used it yesterday for example, within thirty minutes it drained almost half my battery and was at just over 105*F (it will stay a bit cooler if plugged in while being used at this time, but only by a few degrees). But I only started using BBM Music a week or so ago and I've only used it a few times. Unfortunately I don't have another battery I can swap it out with to see if its the problem

    Another odd thing I just noticed. Most mornings by now (I've been up for about 2 1/2 to 3 hours) I would have lost about 10% or more of my battery, but I've only lost 1%. Yet I have all the same apps running that I normally do. Only difference that pops into mind is I haven't received as many emails (yet) and I haven't used BBM (which I know is a battery hog).

    I'm at a loss as to what it could be. I've thought about buying another battery as I've found them rather cheap on Amazon, I'm just not sure how to tell if they can be trusted, and I can't afford what most other places charge for them.
    iPhone 5C | iOS 7.0.4
    iPad 3 - 32GB | iOS 7.0.4

    Theme Support Info

  5. #5
    RogerG's Avatar
    RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    21,111
    I think there's another CPU tab, kinda like the Task Manager in Windows that shows you what apps are currently running and how much CPU they are chewing up.

  6. #6
    jfcooley's Avatar
    jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    7,479
    Again, using android logic, so if you want me to quiet down just say so...:-)
    Does the battery percentage remaining stay the same after reboot, or does it fluctuate? Does it go back up?

  7. #7
    JavaBratt's Avatar
    JavaBratt no está en línea Stack Professional
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    548
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerG View Post
    I think there's another CPU tab, kinda like the Task Manager in Windows that shows you what apps are currently running and how much CPU they are chewing up.
    I can view now, today, yesterday, this week, and last week.
    For "now" it says everything is at 2% or less, "Today" everything is under 2 minutes. Is that of any help?
    iPhone 5C | iOS 7.0.4
    iPad 3 - 32GB | iOS 7.0.4

    Theme Support Info

  8. #8
    JavaBratt's Avatar
    JavaBratt no está en línea Stack Professional
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    548
    Quote Originally Posted by jfcooley View Post
    Again, using android logic, so if you want me to quiet down just say so...:-)
    Does the battery percentage remaining stay the same after reboot, or does it fluctuate? Does it go back up?
    Not that I've noticed, but I've never really paid attention to the battery when I've reboot. Never crossed my mind to check :-s
    iPhone 5C | iOS 7.0.4
    iPad 3 - 32GB | iOS 7.0.4

    Theme Support Info

  9. #9
    PapaMag's Avatar
    PapaMag no está en línea Stack Professional
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    PIN/ID
    Nadda
    Posts
    5,722
    I have never had a battery drain until I loaded the apps that I won during the contest, ever since then I'm losing 50% during the day, I un-installed popup, berryweather, smartguard and still have vlingo installed and my battery is still losing 25% but better. Wanted smartguard but during an OS upgrade lost it and can't get it back on because it won't take the code. Oh well that's why I don't run alot of apps.

    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Asus Nexus 7
    Nook Color







  10. #10
    JavaBratt's Avatar
    JavaBratt no está en línea Stack Professional
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    548
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaMag View Post
    I have never had a battery drain until I loaded the apps that I won during the contest, ever since then I'm losing 50% during the day, I un-installed popup, berryweather, smartguard and still have vlingo installed and my battery is still losing 25% but better. Wanted smartguard but during an OS upgrade lost it and can't get it back on because it won't take the code. Oh well that's why I don't run alot of apps.
    My battery started draining faster at that time too, with the same apps. I can't really imagine it being BerryPopup, but I've been wondering if its not due to SmrtGuard. Think I may delete it for a few days just to see what happens.
    iPhone 5C | iOS 7.0.4
    iPad 3 - 32GB | iOS 7.0.4

    Theme Support Info

  11. #11
    RogerG's Avatar
    RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    21,111
    Don't know what to tell you guys. Could be SmrtGuard, I guess, but I ran it for a couple of years on my Berries and have it now on my iPhone and never really noticed an issue.

  12. #12
    RogerG's Avatar
    RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    21,111
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaMag View Post
    I have never had a battery drain until I loaded the apps that I won during the contest, ever since then I'm losing 50% during the day, I un-installed popup, berryweather, smartguard and still have vlingo installed and my battery is still losing 25% but better. Wanted smartguard but during an OS upgrade lost it and can't get it back on because it won't take the code. Oh well that's why I don't run alot of apps.
    I don't think you need a code to reinstall SmrtGuard, C. I think if you just download it again with the same e-mail address you used before, then reactivate it, you should be fine. I don't remember ever having to enter a code. It's based on the e-mail address used on your account.

  13. #13
    RogerG's Avatar
    RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    21,111
    Speaking of SmrtGuard, I've e-mailed them about yours, Jay. They're looking into it.

  14. #14
    jfcooley's Avatar
    jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    7,479
    That's cool. With all that I won, didn't really want to rock the boat.

  15. #15
    JavaBratt's Avatar
    JavaBratt no está en línea Stack Professional
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    548
    Quote Originally Posted by jfcooley View Post
    Again, using android logic, so if you want me to quiet down just say so...:-)
    Does the battery percentage remaining stay the same after reboot, or does it fluctuate? Does it go back up?
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerG View Post
    Don't know what to tell you guys. Could be SmrtGuard, I guess, but I ran it for a couple of years on my Berries and have it now on my iPhone and never really noticed an issue.
    I just deleted SmrtGuard and when I rebooted by battery dropped from 92% to 90%. Not sure if that means anything, but thought I would mention it since I never thought before to check.

    Now I'll just wait and see if getting rid of that app makes any difference.
    iPhone 5C | iOS 7.0.4
    iPad 3 - 32GB | iOS 7.0.4

    Theme Support Info

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •