According to theregister.co.uk: http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/04...ase_of_iphone/ It has been claimed that Research in Motion (RIM) has delayed ... BlackBerry Bold forum

frijolito no está en línea Stack level 3

Rumor Mill: 8900 Delayed due to 3G I-phone

Advertisement

According to theregister.co.uk:

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/04...ase_of_iphone/

It has been claimed that Research in Motion (RIM) has delayed the launch of the BlackBerry 8900 so it doesn’t run slap bang into the launch of the 3G iPhone.

According to a report Fortune magazine, sources close to RIM claim that the company has internally blamed technical glitches with the handset, codenamed 'Meteor', as the reason for its decision to put the the launch back from June to August. The 8900 is set to be the first 3G BlackBerry to appear on the AT&T network in the US.

It’s previously been claimed that a 3G iPhone will be released in Australia in the last week of June. Earlier this month, famous tech journalist Walt Mossberg forecast that the Apple device will be out “in 60 days”. A Gartner analyst has also claimed that Apple’s ordered 10m 3G iPhones from contract manufacturers.

With all those phones to sell, it’s not surprising that RIM may be reconsidering the timing of its launch of the 8900 so its limelight isn't stolen by Apple. But, as Fortune’s report points out, delaying the email handset's launch will mean fewer phone shipments for RIM and lower subscriber growth for AT&T in its second fiscal quarter, ending 30 August. ®
    International numptee & Connoisseur of Stella Artois

mike22 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    ASKME

Lightbulb TRUTH ABOUT CDMA and GSM

att does not have 3g,they never will,unless they rip all the cell towers down and put new ones up. I dought that would happen,that would cost billions..they have 2.5g-HSDPA ONLY 400-700kbps thats max for ATT,TMOBILE really an GSM carrier. NOW 3g is 1.4 Mbps speed only CDMA can do this. att is just touching on 2.5g. SPRINT,TELUS VERIZON,ANY CDMA they are going too 4g by 2009. the choice is yours.
    Last edited by doughdaddy; 04-27-2008 at 08:36 AM.

peterthill no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    281860C8
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Well this discussion remembers me to an very old story:

A few month before Apple launches their first iconic clickable OS (IIRC it was the Apple Lisa - pls correct me if I'm wrong) MS told them to holt the new OS back for a while cause they want to launch Windows...

Ok, this could be also an urban legend. But the discussion which phone will be released first looks like so.

My 2ct
    Peter

KeNNethX no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by mike22 View Post
    att does not have 3g,they never will,unless they rip all the cell towers down and put new ones up. I dought that would happen,that would cost billions..they have 2.5g-HSDPA ONLY 400-700kbps thats max for ATT,TMOBILE really an GSM carrier. NOW 3g is 1.4 Mbps speed only CDMA can do this. att is just touching on 2.5g. SPRINT,TELUS VERIZON,ANY CDMA they are going too 4g by 2009. the choice is yours.
    3G doesn't necessarily mean the speeds you are talking about. It simply means 3rd Generation of wireless technology...yes on CDMA, their 3G will be faster than on GSM networks. It's more about features...

"3G includes capabilities and features such as:
    • Enhanced multimedia (voice, data, video, and remote control).
    • Usability on all popular modes (cellular telephone, e-mail, paging, fax, videoconferencing, and Web browsing).
    • Broad bandwidth and high speed (upwards of 2 Mbps).
    • Roaming capability throughout Europe, Japan, and North America."
    http://searchtelecom.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid103_gci214486,00.html

Also...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3G
    When in Doubt, Pop the Battery Out!

dubai_bb no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by KeNNethX View Post
    3G doesn't necessarily mean the speeds you are talking about. It simply means 3rd Generation of wireless technology...yes on CDMA, their 3G will be faster than on GSM networks. It's more about features...
    CDMA is faster than GSM in North America, but its not faster than GSM in other parts of the world.

RayZ no está en línea Stack level 5
    GSM is global-CDMA is not. 3G is plenty fast enough, but is limited to major metro areas. There are pros and cons for both, but for world travelers GSM is the choice.I personally prefer GSM even if its slightly slower than CDMA because of the features it offers. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

charliehutch no está en línea Stack level 2
    Canada wants the damn iPhone already :-@

kingrykku27 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    2444409C
    you silly goose, a lot of areas around where i live gave me 3G network when i used my samsung SYNC

remember that AT&T was one of the early adopters of it!