I've been using the AT&T Bold on Tmobile for a few days now, and felt ... BlackBerry Bold forum

ssnxp no está en línea Device Pro

Review: The Bold, quickly.

Advertisement

I've been using the AT&T Bold on Tmobile for a few days now, and felt that I should do a quick review. I know it's old news and the Storm is the next big thing, but here are my impressions, coming from an 8310..

First of all, if you need help getting the browser, MMS, and Tmobile service books in general on your unlocked Bold, see the thread here and click on the link in the first post:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/how...ed-bold-81554/

Message me if you have any questions.

Screen
    First off, the screen is what everyone is saying: gorgeous. Pictures look beautiful, videos play wonderfully. It's just good. Much crisper than the Curve's.

Size
    It feels ginormous at first. After putting away the 8310 for a while, I got used to it.. until I picked up my Curve again and realized how small that thing is. It's not a huge difference at all, it just feels like it. Does that make sense?

Processor/Videos
    The phone also feels much quicker than the Curve. The only time I had some lag was during the loading of a movie. Once it gets loaded though, it plays relatively smoothly. I was watching the Bourne Identity last night at the gym while running, and it didn't have any slow downs until over an hour in. I gave the video player a quick 3 minute "break," and it was playing smoothly again. Of course you want a relatively resolution for your videos, however.

Keyboard
    Coming from a Curve, the keyboard was very easy to get used to. I noticed only a slight slow down, but I believe that may be due to the snap on case that I'm using. It gets in the way when I try to hit the outer keys sometimes, but its worth the protection. I love how the keys have a "quiet" press as opposed to the Curve's clickety clack. The silver bars/separators between each line of keys does not bother me whatsoever.

OS 4.6
    To be honest, it's just a prettier 4.5. Things pretty much feel the same, just more.. expensive. One thing that irks me: For some reason they decided to load a bunch of pre-made folders onto the phone. For instance, there is already a folder for Games (of which there are a few pre-loaded), Applications, Downloads, and one or two more. Now this bothers me, because every time you switch to a new theme, you have to rearrange the applications again. The folders make it bothersome. Not a big deal, but I thought I'd mention it since no one else has.

Battery
    The battery life is pretty good, but remember I'm on Tmobile with no 3G. I went into the gym with a full battery, and over 2 and a half hours later of a movie and music, I left with around 50%. I know 50% in 2 hours doesn't sound so great, but I had a movie playing at full screen brightness! Not bad. The phone definitely lasts me the whole day. Comparable to the Curve, I haven't noticed much change either way.

A few miscellaneous problems..
    The right side convenience key is placed annoyingly low. Sometimes when I'm going to hold the mute key (which is smaller, slimmer and harder to press) to put the Bold in standby, pressure is placed on the convenience key from my thumb/palm and it opens the camera. I'm getting used to shifting the phone, but it was very annoying at first.

Otherwise, the transition has been pretty smooth. It kinda feels like a whole new phone at first (Which it is, lol), but after a few days, I'm 100% used to it. Oh, and holding the # key to activate/deactivate the vibrate profile.. it's back!

That's all I can think of for now, I'll update if anyone has any questions.. If you really still have any questions, I'm here to answer them.
    Last edited by ssnxp; 11-21-2008 at 12:17 AM.

Ge
    Ge no está en línea Stack level 4
    The convience keys bothers me too. I am constantly hitting the camera or the voice dialing.

MOBB no está en línea Stack level 1
    Little brother Javelin should good.. The keys are better than the Bold. IMO

joewoo no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    22CF1F2F
    the mute button is damn hard to press... good thing ive only used it like 3 times in my life....
    torched!

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    thanks for the review ssnxp, Im on the fence whether to take the plunge or wait for the storm, Ive got two upgrades now from AT&T. who knows when or if the storm will work on gsm. from what Ive read, its supposed to have dual radios-work on both, is that true, and I thought verizon didnt use sim cards.

Skier87 no está en línea Stack level 3
    The storm supports verizon's cdma as well as gsm and 3g. The 3g bands it supports, however, are only the international ones. You should be able to use and unlocked one on a gsm carrier in the US over gprs/edge.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

MRSONPOINT no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    21735FA7
    Ok, so I have the bold on at& t. Tried it on tmo. Its not gonna work. Email yes, texts, yes mms yes but browser no. It kept giving me an error message saying something about wifi browser. Ok so now I switches 2 at&t. And sometimes if I'm using the browser and I leave the browswer 2 go do sumthing else, when I click back into the browser, its giving me this error message "erro systems shutting down". But it doesn't really shut down. I don't know wats going on.

PIN/ID
    21735FA7
    This is my new pin. 24A138F0.

Mrsonpoint, check out the link in the OP. It shows you how to get the browser working for Tmobile. Let me know if you have any questions.

PIN/ID
    21735FA7
    Ssnxp, wats the OP and how do I get there? Lol

PIN/ID
    21735FA7
    & also, I read on the cracberry website that all u have 2 do is save the tmo service books on ur desktop manager & load it onto the bold. This is my setback, I have a macbook.

OP stands for Original Post. The first post of this thread contained the link that you need:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/how...tml#post877720

I also have a Macbook, but I use bootcamp to run Windows and the desktop manager. You could also use VMware Fusion or Parallels to accomplish this, but either way you'll need a copy of windows..