PIN/ID
    22CF1F2F

Advertisement

dammit nooooooooo
    torched!

NICKY88XX no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask me
    i just sold my unlocked bold to one of my employees.. i told him he can have a couple hours to play with it lol.. hes on his break now.. looks like a kid at a toy store... hes a moderate user not heavy usage.. so well see how the battery fairs with him..
    www.bbmchat.com sign up today!! come follow me at www.twitter.com/bbmchat and win free blackberry of your choice and cash 1st 1,000 members. spread the word.

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by NICKY88XX View Post
    i just sold my unlocked bold to one of my employees.. i told him he can have a couple hours to play with it lol.. hes on his break now.. looks like a kid at a toy store... hes a moderate user not heavy usage.. so well see how the battery fairs with him..
    haha nicky making profit! nice! recession ? what recession ?
    hahaha

EricScott no está en línea Stack level 2
    nicky,

may be too late since it sounds like you sold your Rogers bold, but did you do a comparison between the Rogers Bold w/ AT&T software on AT&T w/ the 2G/3G setting vs. the AT&T Bold (seems like all of your comparisons have the Rogers on 3G only)? I would imagine the performance would be completely identical since you have the same hardware (I would assume), same software, same network and same settings.

very interesting post. now i don't feel the need to dump and extra couple of hundred bucks on an unlocked Rogers bold.

joewoo no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    22CF1F2F
    I have a rogers bold w/att software and I tried the 3G/2G settings yesterday...

I got 11 hrs and I was fairly beating on the Bold...

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Scaevola no está en línea Stack level 1
    Thanks for all the trials nicky. Mind if I ask what geographic market your in? I have 3g where I work and edge mostly elsewhere (DC). Just curious if you living. A totally plastered 3g area? Still struggling with rather to go the unlock route or att route as not everywhere I am has 3g avilabiltiy. I get simply horrible edge coverage at my house(which sucks to) but anyway.

Random question does 3g pentrate in some circumstance at least initally(10ish ft indoors) better than edge or worse?

PIN/ID
    ask me
    im in nyc... basically coverd with full 3g everywhere...
    www.bbmchat.com sign up today!! come follow me at www.twitter.com/bbmchat and win free blackberry of your choice and cash 1st 1,000 members. spread the word.

PIN/ID
    ask me
    you can go with att.. when your in lets say a spot where there is only edge... the phone will go to only edge.. it goes to whichever has a better signal depending on where you are... either way even with edge only the bold is 2-3 times faster then the curve... so you cant lose

gatechfireblade no está en línea Stack level 3
    everything is exactly the same.. the only difference is. on the rogers bold selected 3G only. on the att bold there is no mobile options. so the phone does it itself. where atts reasoning would be to control another item. but it really shows on the battery.. the att phone switches over from EDGE to 3G automatically.
    That last statement doesn't make sense to me. The common assumption is that 3g uses more battery life. This is wrong. While it may use slightly more, its almost negligible. The battery is used more in the constant searching of networks to switch. If there were a 3g only setting on the ATT bold, you would get better life. Just wanted to clear that up because that seems to be a common misconception around these here parts.

PIN/ID
    22CF1F2F
    I'm in no way disagreeing with you ^
    But, what about the battery life differences in the first and second iphone? The 3g one is much shorter... Or is that only specific to that phone??
    Maybe we can attribute this common misconception to that damned 3G iphone...

PIN/ID
    ask me
    Quote Originally Posted by gatechfireblade View Post
    That last statement doesn't make sense to me. The common assumption is that 3g uses more battery life. This is wrong. While it may use slightly more, its almost negligible. The battery is used more in the constant searching of networks to switch. If there were a 3g only setting on the ATT bold, you would get better life. Just wanted to clear that up because that seems to be a common misconception around these here parts.
    i dont get what your saying.. 3g doesnt eat up that much battery? i have a bold with a 1500mah battery.. getting me a day and a half of heavy usage.. even thou i charge it every night.. when i had the curve.. when i had the 8700.. with the same apps.. both EDGE only devices i would get 2-3 days of heavy usage. and thats with a 30% smaller battery.. it would use around 30% of my battery a day..

with the bold i come home from work after 12 hours im at 60% by the time i go to sleep im at 35-40% so it needs to be charged nightly.

a fiend of mine who has an unlocked bold on tmobile network running on 2g only who is a heavy user gets the same 2-3 days out of it without charging.. so imo and from my experiance the 3g is a major battery hog..

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    i dont get what your saying.. 3g doesnt eat up that much battery? i have a bold with a 1500mah battery.. getting me a day and a half of heavy usage.. even thou i charge it every night.. when i had the curve.. when i had the 8700.. with the same apps.. both EDGE only devices i would get 2-3 days of heavy usage. and thats with a 30% smaller battery.. it would use around 30% of my battery a day..

with the bold i come home from work after 12 hours im at 60% by the time i go to sleep im at 35-40% so it needs to be charged nightly.

a fiend of mine who has an unlocked bold on tmobile network running on 2g only who is a heavy user gets the same 2-3 days out of it without charging.. so imo and from my experiance the 3g is a major battery hog..
    Quote Originally Posted by gatechfireblade View Post

Im gonna have to agree 100% with Nicky. The 3G kills battery but indeed and ill give you that gatechfireblade the constant switch does drain battery.
    But the point is if your device is made to know when to switch (and that was the hold up for ATT and RIM i believe) it wont drain as much battery because it will be switching not searching at all times.
    Dont know if you know what i mean

kingrykku27 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    2444409C
    Awesome tests nicky! I'll have to wait till June next year though for the bold though haha!

gatechfireblade no está en línea Stack level 3

3G connections require slightly more power than EDGE Connections. There is PLENTY of data to support this if you look online. It's not a significant amount of power to drain battery that much faster. The searching for the best signal is what consumes data. Ranxoren is correct in saying that ATT has the phone programmed to switch only when certain conditions apply which would use less battery power than a 2g/3g selection that constantly searches and switches. Comparison to any other device is pointless. The curve's processor is twice as slow, the screen is smaller, and the resolution is less. And there is no linear proportion for power consumption based on processor speed, lcd, etc. differences so you cannot make a distinction in battery life between the two. Regardless, I am sure there are some reasonings for why you are getting better battery life on the ATT bold. At the same time I think drawing the conclusion that the ATT bold is an overall faster and has better battery life is not a conclusion to be drawn at this point. The only thing that differs between the two is the ROM which does not play into the issues that you present. This is probably just me being an engineer. When we do testing, we go through a lot of effort to elimnate variables and there is always a reason behind something. I cannot see that here.
    Last edited by gatechfireblade; 10-31-2008 at 12:33 PM.
    Mechanical Engineering
    Georgia Institute of Technology
    2004 Honda CBR 1000RR "Fireblade"
    2006 Yamaha R6

PIN/ID
    22CF1F2F
    Those are some damn good points...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast