I don't use it since I don't get alot of voicemails so I want to ... BlackBerry Bold forum

TNgal22 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    just ask

Removing Visual Voicemail

Advertisement

I don't use it since I don't get alot of voicemails so I want to remove it to free up some space. Ok, so I installed .680...which I upgraded to a few days ago. Well today I went on the search to remove VVM...I removed the *cod files in the Java folder but when I went to DM to use the App Loader...nothing. It does not find .680 nor that I removed the *cod files. Any suggestions? Is there something else I am missing?

Yes I know the feature is free and is cool...but I don't use it so no need to have it taking up space.
    Support our Troops!!

Mom to Ashlee

Visual Voice Mail is in the core applications, cannot be deleted as far as I know

MotoUp no está en línea BES Pro
    I can be deleted, but you need to have the current OS and Desktop Manager loaded on your computer, and have to delete it using DM.

Quote Originally Posted by MotoUp View Post
    I can be deleted, but you need to have the current OS and Desktop Manager loaded on your computer, and have to delete it using DM.
    On DM isn't it bundled in the core applications and not at a seperate ap? I may be wrong, I don't remember seeing it . . .

PIN/ID
    just ask
    I read two different options: One to change the word true to false in the alx file so you can uncheck it via DM....didn't work for me...Second was to remove all vvm cod files in the Java folder then run app loader...didn't work for me.

I think the issue is DM is not finding .680 on my computer. It is installed but it does not find it. When I upgraded, I had to try 2 or 3 times before it found it, now it won't find it. It finds .296 (not sure where that came from) and .405 (which was installed on bb when I got it). The only OS on my computer is .680. I have uninstalled the OS and DM, and reinstalled both but the DM will not find the OS. Any thoughts?
    Support our Troops!!

Mom to Ashlee

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    What you might want to try is completely wiping your device. I've found that easiest to do with BBSAK (BlackBerry Swiss Army Knife).

You can also back up all your third party apps with BBSAK as well, but make sure you do a backup prior to wiping your device.

Then, go ahead and delete all the .cod files for VVM if you haven't already and reload the OS onto your device, circumventing DM altogether. Just run the Application Loader via the Loader executable in the AppLoader folder.

Kind of a pain, but it'll accomplish what you want. You might even want to try the Loader executable right now to see if it recognizes the OS installed on your PC and removes VVM for you.

PIN/ID
    just ask
    Thanks! I will try that tonight when I get home.

I looked at BBSAK last night but was a little hestitant about it. If the Loader exe doesn't work, I might try that. Thanks again!
    Support our Troops!!

Mom to Ashlee

Roger's post is excellent as usual, but try one itty bitty thing before you do all that - disconnect your computer from the internet, then see if DM finds 680. Right now it's listing the OSs that your provider is recommending - but if disconnected from the internet DM may find 680, then you can go the route suggested by MotoUp . . .

PIN/ID
    just ask
    Well, I went back to .405 for now. Disconnecting the internet didn't help and some of my apps were messing up. They are working again on .405.

I might try to go back to .680 when I have more time to "play" but right now .405 is working so I will just leave it be.

Thanks for all the suggestions.....though I never did get VVM off. Oh well.
    Support our Troops!!

Mom to Ashlee

Well, next time you upgrade, remove all the .cod files for VVM and you should be good to go.

PIN/ID
    just ask
    I tried last night with .405 but I still had it hooked to the internet so I guess that is why it didn't notice I removed them.

I hope to try over the weekend again.
    Support our Troops!!

Mom to Ashlee

I wouldn't think being connected to the internet or otherwise would make a difference in removing .cod files from the OS.

Make sure you have completely removed and/or uninstalled every OS from your PC except the one you wish to upgrade to. I keep all the executables, but uninstall every one except the one currently on my device.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerG View Post
    I wouldn't think being connected to the internet or otherwise would make a difference in removing .cod files from the OS.
    I think the DM looks to the website of the service provider for updates whenever it is started up. When I upgraded to 680, I downloaded it/installed/removed vendor.xml. Then after I plugged in the device, it said "Searching for device upgrades" or something like that. Then it listed the available upgrades: 330 and (I think) 485! I had never installed 330, had deleted 485, and there was no mention of 680. Both 330 and 485 were available as direct OTA installs from T-Mobile. When I turned off internet access, and restarted DM, it found 680 (finally!!! Whew!!) but no mention of 330 or 485. So, to use the Loader program to delete VVM, I would have to start DM without my wireless connection for DM to even acknowledge the existence of 680. Wierd! Even if you delete the cods from your computer manually, the device would still have to be able to find the OS. This is clearly some kind of evil collusion between Tmo (and probably other providers) and RIM . . .

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    Quote Originally Posted by TNgal22 View Post
    I tried last night with .405 but I still had it hooked to the internet so I guess that is why it didn't notice I removed them.

I hope to try over the weekend again.

Ihave come into the 5.0 game late, but have found many that say it serves best to load with the loader app and remove any other software(unstall any other releases for that device) from your computer.

Hope that helps . .
    THBASSMAN

Carpe Diem!!

thbassmanatpinstackdotcom

Check this out!!! Mobiletropolis

My TORCH Rocks!