Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I've been of the opinion that carriers are going to delay the release of OS ... BlackBerry Bold forum

Release date for 9700s OS 6?

Advertisement

I've been of the opinion that carriers are going to delay the release of OS 6.0 for the 9700 because doing so will sell more new smartphones - like the 9800. If 6.0 is available for the 9700, 9100, 9105 and the more recent 9300, then fewer people will buy the new phones. Simple economics, I guess. Supporting my theory now is a leak from Bell Mobility, over at our friends CrackBerry http://crackberry.com/. The document from Bell announces that 6.0 for the 9700 will be available in 2011 . . . . .

This, after the exciting video over at Boy Genius Report that actually shows a 9700 running 6.0! We know it exists, we see that it really works well on a 9700, however - - our patience will be tried waiting. . . aaarrrgggghhhhh . . . . . I CAN'T TAKE THIS ANY MORE!!!!!! AAAARRRRRRGGGGHHHHH

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Well, I couldn't wait and used my wife's upgrade to get me a Torch. There is also a device coming out called the 9780 which comes packaged with pretty much everything the torch has sans the slide-out keyboard (basically a souped up 9700).....to which carrier is anybody's guess, based on the numbering scheme.

I'll have my own upgrade available in May of next year, so looking forward to seeing what's available then.

SeRViiCiiO no está en línea Stack level 5
    God Mark i think you are right-- ive been playing catch up for the last couple of hours (was on vacation) and i saw that Bell is not releasing 6.0 for the 9700 until 2011
    THAT is bad news! specially when you are impatient!!
    Phone: T-Mo S4- Stock-Rooted

[Former]
    Device: T-Mobile S3
    Device: HTC Amaze 4G
    Device: HTC Vision (T-Mobile G2)
    Device: BlackBerry (9700, 8900,8320,8120,8100)

bmay82 no está en línea Stack Professional
    That's to bad guys 6.0 is pretty nice.(had a torch for a week and a half) Looks like it's gonna run really good on the 9700 too.
    Apple iPhone 5C 16gb (Green)

Follow Me on Twitter

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    I would have really liked to see my 9700 on OS6, I had been waiting for it, but the i4 bug bit me.
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

That i4 bug is a mean one too!!

Follow Me on Twitter

BoSoxFan82 no está en línea Stack level 4
    Is the Torch really all it is cracked up to be? I have heard that apps are not currently working on it, is that true? Do you guys feel that the torch is worth selling my iPhone 3GS or 9700 for?
    ~Via Motorola Droid X~

IMO.....I wouldn't sell your iphone for it for sure. The touch screen doesnt compare to an Iphone....the virtual keyboard is hard to learn compared to iphone. It's like a 9700 on steroids but I've gotten to used to iphones to stay with BB. I tried....I really did but didnt have much success....Couldnt kick the apple bug. The Torch is the NICEST BB I've owned to date though.

Follow Me on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by BoSoxFan82 View Post
    Is the Torch really all it is cracked up to be? I have heard that apps are not currently working on it, is that true? Do you guys feel that the torch is worth selling my iPhone 3GS or 9700 for?
    No. Both of your current devices outperform the Torch. The Torch is important because it introduced OS6, but other than that it is forgettable. Right now, there is a lot of positive feeling about it; and it does run good; however, I think it will go the same route as the 8220 Flip. "A Fart in the Night". (so to speak...). BGR has a video of the 9700 running OS6, and the reviewer makes several comments about it being faster and more responsive than the Torch.

The Torch is a good BlackBerry, but not an important one like the original Pearl, Curve or Bold. I think if you exchanged, after a few days when the fascination wears off, you will regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
    No. Both of your current devices outperform the Torch. The Torch is important because it introduced OS6, but other than that it is forgettable. Right now, there is a lot of positive feeling about it; and it does run good; however, I think it will go the same route as the 8220 Flip. "A Fart in the Night". (so to speak...). BGR has a video of the 9700 running OS6, and the reviewer makes several comments about it being faster and more responsive than the Torch.

The Torch is a good BlackBerry, but not an important one like the original Pearl, Curve or Bold. I think if you exchanged, after a few days when the fascination wears off, you will regret it.

I regreted it! Traded it back in after 10 days.....lol

Follow Me on Twitter

I think you guys are being a little harsh. To me, the Torch is the perfect alternative for BlackBerry owners who want to segue into a touchscreen device without sacrificing the keyboard.

I admit I was hesitant to give up my 9700 to get this device, but after a week with it, I have no regrets. It's a very solid device and I'm really enjoying it. It is definitely the best BlackBerry device to date, as far as I'm concerned.

I think the BGR video you refer to, Mark, is a different version of the OS than what's on my Torch, so of course it's going to be faster and more responsive. Yes, the 6.0 on this device is a little sluggish, but I have no doubt that subsequent releases will alleviate that issue.

I don't know if I'll ever get over my OCD about fingerprints on the screen, but I would definitely recommend the device.

Here's another thing I like about the Torch.....I always thought the screen on the 9700 was too small.....the Torch gives you the best of both worlds in that you get the same keyboard that you have on the 9700 with a much bigger screen!

Don't know about you young whippersnappers, but I'm 53 years old and it's nice to actually be able to read what's on the screen!

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    I'm 53 as well, a big screen is a good screen. Hello i4.
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

Guess I qualify as a whipper snapper and I to like a bigger screen

Follow Me on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by RogerG View Post
    I think you guys are being a little harsh.
    Just doin' my job! <grin>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast