Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I asked this question in the 3rd part software section, but didn't get any nibbles. ... BlackBerry Bold forum

paulypaul no está en línea Stack level 3

question for 9700 users regarding google sync

Advertisement

I asked this question in the 3rd part software section, but didn't get any nibbles. so I will ask it here.

when I got my 8900 v4.6 last spring I downloaded Google Sync. I love the functionality to sync your address book and calendar.

fast forward to last week. My friend bought the new 9700, and I told him to get Google-sync so he will be able to update and sync his google address books and BB address books and calendars in real time.

he told me that without downloading google sync his 9700 was doing that right out of the box. As soon as he set up his google address, the BB and Google address books and calendars were syncing on their own.

because he didn't have sync I was puzzled by this, so I did some research. it turns out that google has dropped BB support for SYNC.

so I beg to ask the question, is googsync (or some kind of variant) now native on the 9700?

ak602 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    This is a very good question. I am using google sync, for my calendar. If there is something new or better or different on my 9700 I want to know about it.....

adperdue no está en línea Stack level 2
    The 9700 has support for wireless sync with google for contacts. Set up your gmail addy and away it goes. Calender still needs google sync though.

I see, that for clearing that up.

just a new question. Is the contact sync dynamic or one time?

and is this new for v5 or the 9700 only? is this something I can look forward to when there is a v5 for 8900 that I like?

adperdue no está en línea Stack level 2
    Dont know if it's 9700 or os 5.0 specific, and the sync is two way.

very slick....

thanks

PIN/ID
    Are you guys sure about this, I made some significant changes to my Address book and I do not see them on the google side. If this is so, how often does it sync, and if it is a 2 way sync, why do i have some old contacts on my google contacts that are not in my blackberry.....

Quote Originally Posted by ak602 View Post
    Are you guys sure about this, I made some significant changes to my Address book and I do not see them on the google side. If this is so, how often does it sync, and if it is a 2 way sync, why do i have some old contacts on my google contacts that are not in my blackberry.....
    Google sync is not witrhout its flaws. Its my understanding that in any conflict the gmail address book wins.

fatboy97 no está en línea Stack level 3
    With the new OS 5.0 version, and I believe it's more to the updates in BIS, Gmail will automatically sync Contacts without GoogleSync... but you need GoogleSync to sync the Calendar events... at least that is how I set it up on my 8900 with OS 5.0 and my wife's 9700.

I have had a couple minor issues with GoogleSync... it stopped working once... I logged out, which deleted all events, then logged in again and all the events were back... no big issue... you should check GoogleSync logs every once in a while to be sure it's still running correctly... you can manually start it anytime to test it.

PIN/ID
    Im still missing something here. My google contacts are not a match for my BB contacts. I have google sync for my calendar, but contacts is not enabled.

I am pretty savy with this stuff and i dont see were its happening.
    I have a 9700 running 5.0

from experience using gsync on my 8900. the calendar sync is 2 way. any calendar change/add/delete performed in gmail or your bb will reflect in the other.

but the bb and gmail contact sync is not as graceful.

i disabled the contact sync after I ran into too many problems. I edited some contact details on my bb, three of my friends got new numbers and email addys. after I did a sync, their old info that was still in gmail got pushed to my bb. but it didn't erase the new info, instead they all had 4 email addys and 5 numbers.

The only thing I can think of that you might need to check is Contacts > Menu > Options > General Options > make sure "Allow Duplicate Names" is set to Yes.

NickAC no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by paulypaul View Post
    from experience using gsync on my 8900. the calendar sync is 2 way. any calendar change/add/delete performed in gmail or your bb will reflect in the other.
    Watch out for old appts deleting though! For some odd reason, Google decided to include a "feature" with sync that will automatically delete entries on your BB Calendar that are 1 week, 2 weeks, or 4 weeks old (your choice) to "help" you avoid filling your memory. Stupid move on their part because the BB already has a feature to delete entries older than a certain time.

Problem here is that many users reported that as entries older than 4 weeks got deleted from the BB, the next sync would go delete them from the Google Calendar! I got around that by doing a 1 way from Google Calendar -> BB.

Do you know if this has been fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by NickAC View Post
    Watch out for old appts deleting though! For some odd reason, Google decided to include a "feature" with sync that will automatically delete entries on your BB Calendar that are 1 week, 2 weeks, or 4 weeks old (your choice) to "help" you avoid filling your memory. Stupid move on their part because the BB already has a feature to delete entries older than a certain time.

Problem here is that many users reported that as entries older than 4 weeks got deleted from the BB, the next sync would go delete them from the Google Calendar! I got around that by doing a 1 way from Google Calendar -> BB.

Do you know if this has been fixed?
    Did that to me also... Open your Calendar > Menu > Options > General Options > look for "Keep Appointments" and set that to "Forever"

NickAC no está en línea Stack level 3
    Right - but that only sets your BB options to keep appointments. Google Sync will still delete them after 1, 2, or 4 weeks, unless they have changed that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast