When I'm at home, I connect my 9700 to my wireless network at home. The ... BlackBerry Bold forum

simeezee no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    215C1928

Question about wifi

Advertisement

When I'm at home, I connect my 9700 to my wireless network at home. The top right corner shows UMA and it has a wifi logo. I'm just wondering when I'm connected to wifi, does it mean all the network activities will be using it? Does this mean I'm sending txt through wifi and also browsing through wifi?

Thanks.

kendrick87 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    216413F3
    Yes, in a nutshell. You can verify this by going to "Manage Connections" and selecting "Services Status".

I like it because it essentially means that every wifi hotspot becomes a t-mobile cell tower. I've used my phone in other countries using wifi and not paid a cent in roaming charges.
    Last edited by kendrick87; 11-18-2009 at 08:57 PM.

vinnyjr no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by simeezee View Post
    When I'm at home, I connect my 9700 to my wireless network at home. The top right corner shows UMA and it has a wifi logo. I'm just wondering when I'm connected to wifi, does it mean all the network activities will be using it? Does this mean I'm sending txt through wifi and also browsing through wifi?

Thanks.
    I had asked the same thing because I use the T-Mobile hot spot for an extra 10 bucks a month all wifi calls are free. Anyways I was told that only your phone calls are using the wifi, you have to go into your browser and click options and change your browser settings to hotspot browser. This is what I was told.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    Using the browser over WiFi is fast. But I can't get any messaging done faster when on WiFi at home.

Rudegar no está en línea Stack level 2
    I am having this problem: When at home with Wifi and 3g, I can't seem to download from internet. It is as if 3G and Wifi are competing. When I turn off Wifi, downloading resumes as 3G spped. THOUGHTS?? (I did not have this problem with my 8900)

Delfim no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    Nope!
    The WiFi icon must become white - whens it's grey you have it identified but not connected. When you are using it on mail etc the 3G Icon disappears and in it's place the white WiFi icon appears. If you are in the middle of a download or any other web activity and if you loose WiFi, the BB commutes to 3G straight away. So take care with this, because with the browser you have no indication if it's WiFi or 3G...just judge the speed and you'll know !

ItsaRaid no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    217B8701
    Regarding UMH or Wifi

t-mobile has UMH WIFI on its 9700 but AT&T doesnt, is there a reason why?

bglawrence no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2746CB17
    Thats UMA not UMH. Tmobile uses that for making and receiving calls via the wifi while ATT does not have the ability.