I have a AT&T Branded Bold 9000 running 4.6.0.197. Over the weekend I had a ... BlackBerry Bold forum

AuriemmaPhoto no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24a47815

Programs uploaded without asking

Advertisement

I have a AT&T Branded Bold 9000 running 4.6.0.197.

Over the weekend I had a number of programs (actually icons for program loaders) show up on my phone without me doing anything:

MobiTV
    Music Videos
    My-Cast Weather
    PAC-MAN by Namco
    YELLOWPAGES.COM Mobile (now I have 2)
    Brain Challenge Vol. 2
    Get Mobile Banking
    Scrabble
    WikiMobile
    XM Radio
    Tetris
    AT&T Mall (I know who sent this one)

I called AT&T CS, they and RIM CS said that it was impossible for this to happen without me doing it...Yeah... Right.

The both recommend doing an Advanced Backup, then a Master Reset.

The only thing I did last weekend was go across the border into Canada... could that do it? (silly question)

They do not allow me to delete them nor do they show up in my Apps list, so how can I get rid of them?

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Its service books for those apps, and at&t are the culprits.

You can manually delete thr books, they'll (some anyway) just keep coming back. Best thing to do is create a folder, drop them in it, and hide the folder.

I have one called "at&t crap".

Do you not do a batt pull regularly? These showed up on my 8900 about 3 weeks ago.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    j is right, they are service books and they are pushed by your carrier. Did you happen to have done a battery pull or other restart right before you noticed? Or were you having trouble and did you resend your service books? I have about 7 pushed from my carrier as well, they always come back. You have no choice but to stick them in a folder or hide them. And with each new theme you will have to re-organize them again.

It always cracks me up that the carriers claim they have nothing to do with it
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

PIN/ID
    Apple
    Yea, you gotta love the "this couldn't happen with out YOU doing something" response from some blooming idiot making $6.25 to take a call. I actually had one ask me "why are you even in your phone options, its setup out of the box". I was trying to get my browser working after a 5.0 install. I noticed that all this came to me after switching back to my at&t sim in my bold from T-Mobile the other day. Sad but true an extra folder is the only way. I've tried to no avail to get rid of this junk. Lucky for me I use 2 themes and just change the wallpaper, so its already setup.

teesea no está en línea Stack level 2
    These programs showed up on my BOLD too. I had resent my sevice books and they immediately showed up. I kept what I wanted and hid the rest.

PIN/ID
    24a47815
    I just got off the phone with Business Data Support at AT&T. They have no idea about how they got there and tried to blame me again. Until I told him to look at

http://www.berryreview.com/2009/04/2...een-shortcuts/

I said "So all these people and me both subscribed to the same exact links?" He agreed that was highly unlikely. He is in the process of contacting other AT&T depts to find out how they got there and how to remove them. He will call me back... We will see.

They push them to all customers, I am wondering if they are really that dumb, or if they are told to play dumb or blame it on RIM. Verizon, Alltel, T-Mobile, AT&T, etc. all push various service books to all their customers with launchers for different apps and services....
    Twitter? My Apps List

psi chick no está en línea Stack level 4
    if you actually looked at what was pushed they weren't programs. they were links to programs. much like the at&t mall and shop for music type stuff. they're just icons. hide them and move on in life, it's not that serious. yes companies do this crap to people all the time, it's called increasing revenue. complain all you want to cs, it's not going to stop.

PIN/ID
    24a47815
    Well... after an 30 minute long conference call with AT&T BDS and RIM TS... RIM says the only common thread is that all the loaders are in AT&T's listing and service books. AT&T is clueless as to how and where they come from. Both sides will continue to look into it and get back to me on how and if they can be removed or possibly opted out. Both reps agree that it is going to get out of hand if its left unchecked.

My suggestion: Call in and complain. Show them the berryreview link above. This is nothing short of SPAM!

AT&T lied if they say they are clueless, or the reps you talked to are clueless idiots.

For every one person that complains there are probably 100s of others who use the launchers and either through ringtone purchases, ad revenue, some way.... they make $ so it is in their best interest to partner with services and send customers those service books. I don't see them stopping any time soon if ever....
    Twitter? My Apps List

jfcooley no está en línea Stack Professional
    Still would like to be able to remove them.
    Get the whole revenue deal, but once someone makes up their mind, should be able to be rid of them.

PIN/ID
    24a47815
    When you buy a new Windows based laptop, it comes preloaded with bloatware. But its all removable. You can even remove important system software if you want. Blackberry's should be no different. Its mine, I paid for it, and I, not AT&T, should control the content on it. End of story.

Hmm... smells like the beginnings of a class action lawsuit. Any lawyers out there interested?

It's a part of their service, you bought the device, maybe even at a subsidized price, but they are just including it in their services which is what you pay for each month. The bloatware on a computer takes up space, these service books/launcher icons take up very little unless you choose to install and use them.

I would hate to see our legal system clogged with yet another ridiculous lawsuit. There are so many other more productive uses for the money and man hours that would be involved.