Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

My suggestions when it comes to unbranded unlocked phones vs that same phone from your ... BlackBerry Bold forum

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

Advertisement

My suggestions when it comes to unbranded unlocked phones vs that same phone from your carrier, is to buy from your carrier....always. I have a tremendous amount of experience with new unbranded unlocked phones. However it should also be known that I never buy them on ebay. Nothing against ebay, but again based on my overall ebay experience of years, you are increasing your risk when buying something like a phone on ebay. Especially if you are buying new. Do your research & you will find the same new phone from a reputable dealer on the web at the same price & often cheaper. Only because I'm a huge mobile phone enthusiast, do I spend the money to buy unlocked phones, and then it's to obtain a model that is not available in the USA. When it comes to BlackBerrys one saves a lot of money by being patient & buying it from your carrier. They always have lower prices on BlackBerrys than anyone else. It's the whole subsidy program that makes that possible. So why not take advantage of it? You end up with a full support, full warranty, no hassle experience.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Trist no está en línea Stack level 1
    I'm supposed to see some tommorow to purchase an "Unbranded & Unlocked" Blackberry Bold 9000. After reading this thread I am now worried that it may be one of the ones mentioned as a beta unit.

I now know to check for a leather back, but do all non-beta Bold's have a leather back? And could someone please tell me how to spot a beta watermark as mentioned here?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. In explaining please note that I've never used a Blackberry device.

Don't buy it no matter what. Your risk is too high. The least expensive way to purchase a BlackBerry is from your cellular carrier. That way it's new, you are covered by a warranty, & you have free access to tech support. Any used BlackBerry brings too much risk.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    I have to completely agree with Archer here. Only buy a Carrier branded Bold FROM your carrier unless you REALLY want a device not available in the country youre in. And in that case still buy a BRANDED phone.

Trist no está en línea Stack level 1

Thumbs up Thanks

I was looking for a used 8700 when I read an ad offering a 9000 for $300 because it is locked up with a "No Application Linked (Factory OS)" error and the owner had to clue how to repair it. They had purchased it online, they informed me, then killed it with a failed OS update. They'd bought something else and wanted to dump the 9000 to offset what cost they could.

I read up on the way to reload the OS and emailed the seller the instructions to reload himself. He didn't understand what I was suggesting so I decided to take it for $240 and keep it for myself or even for resale. Then while researching the unit I caught this thread and wondered did the update fail because they were attempting to upgrade on a beta unit locked to a specific update as mentioned in
    post #3 by ranxoren?

While I trust the seller isn't trying to hide anything, in fact seems the opposite, I will not be making that purchase just in case, not even going to go look for the leather back. I did decide though to share the whole story here in case anyone else in a similar situation ends up reading.

Thanks for the great advice. Possibly saved me losing money, did save me running up my blood pressure and now I can again look for the older model I really wanted. And used or reconditioned it's cheap.

Excellent forums. Great people.

Ge
    Ge no está en línea Stack level 4
    I have seen pre-production units with leather backs. That is no way to determine if it is a pre-production unit.

Anyone can buy a battery cover and replace it.

Follow Archer's advice. Make sure you get a unit from a carrier. If you don't know the history of the unit, move on.

Safiy no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    304d0ac5
    With the right set up you can debrand it yourself. I did mine. It only says "Blackberry" now (no trace of Tmo). Your vendor id will change too. As we all know Tmo vendor ID is 100, but my vendor ID is 179. Vendor ID 179 is "F100" network. RIM South? Maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Trist View Post
    Thanks for the great advice. Possibly saved me losing money, did save me running up my blood pressure and now I can again look for the older model I really wanted. And used or reconditioned it's cheap. Excellent forums. Great people.
    Here is a link to AT&T online where you can buy a refurbished Curve 8310 for only $49.99 which is backed by the AT&T warranty and tech support.

AT&T Curve 8310

TheBigNewt no está en línea Stack level 3
    The Rogers Bold has the option to specify either 2g or 3g that many other Bolds don't have (ATT). It's a good option to have if you have problems with 3g reception in your area. Saves battery, reduces freezups if you use EDGE sometimes.
    BB Pearl, Seidio rubberized case.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12