i am using an at&t sim, in a locked,branded at&t bold, running official out of ... BlackBerry Bold forum

offthahorseceo no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    24A2AD7C

Off Network?

Advertisement

i am using an at&t sim, in a locked,branded at&t bold, running official out of the box at&t OS, in an at&t 3G coverage area.

my Bold says "OFF NETWORK" under the carrier tag.

when i run diagnostics it tells me i am connected to at&t.

any ideas?

ItsNowOrNever no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    Battery Pull, Update your OS and make sure your wireless connections is turned to on.
    Color---it's nothing but a hue of the rainbow...why do people place such importance in it?

PIN/ID
    24A2AD7C
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsNowOrNever View Post
    Battery Pull, Update your OS and make sure your wireless connections is turned to on.
    I tried all of that before posting. I'm not willing to update my OS at this point. Shouldnt be necessary. If my network connections were set to off, then the diagnostic results would not tell me i was connected to at&t's network, nor would i have the 3G indicator, or even an "off network". it would say radio off or something along those lines.

i truly appreciate your willingness to help but please give me a little bit more credit hehe

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by offthahorseceo View Post
    I tried all of that before posting. I'm not willing to update my OS at this point. Shouldnt be necessary. If my network connections were set to off, then the diagnostic results would not tell me i was connected to at&t's network, nor would i have the 3G indicator, or even an "off network". it would say radio off or something along those lines.

i truly appreciate your willingness to help but please give me a little bit more credit hehe
    Your 100% correct, an OS update is not the issue or the resolution.

I've had this happen just twice in the seven years I've been with AT&T and once with T-Mobile, in each of those cases it was a weak signal from the towers due to maintenance.

I called into tech support, they moved my imei to another switch, problem fixed. So give them a call.

Cheers

PIN/ID
    24A2AD7C
    thanks ill give that a try. i figured it was a network issue

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    thanks ill give that a try. i figured it was a network issue
    I just happen to have a friend who is one of the top executives for the company that builds and maintains all of AT&T's towers, therefore I've had an opportunity to learn the challenges they face, and maintenance is certainly one of them.

Rest assured that your phone / sim / hardware is just fine. Simply a localized network issue. We are all spoiled these days as 99.9% of the time "it just works". So when something unusual happens it's easy to become concerned that it's your phone.

Finally, don't be surprised if when you call in the person you speak to "has no clue" as they are at the call center and are do not always stay on top of network performance issues even though the data is pushed to the terminal right in front of them....

PIN/ID
    24A2AD7C
    Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    I just happen to have a friend who is one of the top executives for the company that builds and maintains all of AT&T's towers, therefore I've had an opportunity to learn the challenges they face, and maintenance is certainly one of them.

Rest assured that your phone / sim / hardware is just fine. Simply a localized network issue. We are all spoiled these days as 99.9% of the time "it just works". So when something unusual happens it's easy to become concerned that it's your phone.

Finally, don't be surprised if when you call in the person you speak to "has no clue" as they are at the call center and are do not always stay on top of network performance issues even though the data is pushed to the terminal right in front of them....

o duh!i dont have my imei on my account!...ill try adding that then reboot hehe

ItsNowOrNever no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID

Glad you are on the way to figuring it out, but those are "initial tries"...and since you didn't tell us you tried that, it's the first attempt to fixing a problem. Just an FYI...even the most experianced users have to be reminded to do that.
    Color---it's nothing but a hue of the rainbow...why do people place such importance in it?