Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Well, I'm giving up my beloved little Curve for a shiny new Bold 9780 on ... BlackBerry Bold forum

New Tmo 9780 On Its Way!

Advertisement

Well, I'm giving up my beloved little Curve for a shiny new Bold 9780 on T-Mobile! Will get it next week. I am a veteran of the Bold 9700, which was an awesome device (used it for about 8 months), and am hoping the 9780 will match up to its older brother. Differences seem few - the 9700 has a 3.2 MP camera, the 9780 has a 5 - Theres more memory - and also the 9780 runs os 6, the 9700 had good ol' 5.0. I'm pretty excited!

No data plan, of course, since that is my way and I have never met a device where the data plan cannot be scrapped and full functionality maintained. Especially easy on BlackBerrys and Androids, slightly more difficult on Nokias, I've never tried it on an Eye Phone

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Congrats, Mark! Hope you enjoy it!

xxmrbluntsxx no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23551C46

don't do it !!!!!!

I have had the 9780 since December 10 and it is already obsolete since it got shafted by rim with no OS7 update and to be honest OS 6 is nothing great at all! the browser hangs takes for ever for it to go from one page to the next on 3g. The keyboard sucks as a well noted hardware issue that double types like tthiss. Its bugs upon bugs that persist with every OS update..in short this device sucks bad!!!! It is rims attemp to sale as many devices as it can before OS7 devices come out and make everyone get a new OS7 device.

Quote Originally Posted by xxmrbluntsxx View Post
    I have had the 9780 since December 10 and it is already obsolete since it got shafted by rim with no OS7 update and to be honest OS 6 is nothing great at all! the browser hangs takes for ever for it to go from one page to the next on 3g. The keyboard sucks as a well noted hardware issue that double types like tthiss. Its bugs upon bugs that persist with every OS update..in short this device sucks bad!!!! It is rims attemp to sale as many devices as it can before OS7 devices come out and make everyone get a new OS7 device.
    Have you discussed the problems with your carrier? There may be a warranty you can take advantage of to get it replaced

PapaMag no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Nadda
    Well Mark congrats and I hope it's everything you are looking for. I'm running OS6 .546 on my 9700 and all is smooth.

Samsung Galaxy S4
    Asus Nexus 7
    Nook Color

Got it! So far awesome - I've played with it for a day, and it is a match for the 9700 EXCEPT that it is just a tick slower. Tonight I'm going to turbo-charge it (ask if you don't know how to turbo a Bold) and then see how fast it is. The major advantages over the 9700 is the Universal Search and the fast Webkit. Other than that, it's pretty much a 9700 with extra memory - which, friends, is a good thing. Off to the races!

btw the 5 PM camera is very nice

Good deal! If anybody knows how to tweak a BlackBerry, it would be you, sir! Enjoy!

Got it stripped down and turbocharged - - and it is substantially faster than the 9700, which is saying a lot because the turbo 9700 was quick on its toes! Right now it will go from homescreen to actually viewing a selected vid at YouTube in less than 10 seconds. The major time consumer, however, is typing the name of the video into the universal search. If I were a faster typist, it would be faster - but, from the home screen, type in what you want to see (you don't have to open "Search", just start typing directly from the home screen) - scroll to "Search YouTube" - in about 1-1/2 seconds the browser is open and the vid is displayed, click it and you're watching. So now my new boldie has:
    • New 19" GoodYear slicks on the back wheels
    • Turbocharged 614 Horsepower V-12
    • 7-Speed Manual on the floor (none of this Automatic Transmission crapola for me
    • Sunroof
    • Zero to YouTube in under ten seconds
    • Your Girlfriend in the seat next to me

Capdot no está en línea Stack level 5
    "your girlfriend" lol

How does one "Turbocharge" a Bold?

I'm guessing Mr. Mark is shrinking his OS somewhat, among other things.

Quote Originally Posted by Capdot View Post
    "your girlfriend" lol

How does one "Turbocharge" a Bold?
    "Turbocharging" means simply to remove any TSR applications that you will never use. There are many programs on a BB that, whether you are going to use them or not, load into the background whenever the BB starts, and they take up processor time. Some prime examples are BlackBerry Messenger, Aol Instant messenger, Yahoo, etc. Another set of programs that act this way are the Facebook app and the YouTube app. These are redundant because these websites can be accessed via the browser just as effectively. Basically any program that loads and uses system resources and you are never going to use, delete. Once these TSRs are gone, it is surprising how much faster the handheld is! Of course, keep the apps you plan on using, but don't be afraid to strip the others away. A good way to tell if an app is TSR is if, when you delete it, your Berry requires a reboot to complete the deletion. Hope I explained it OK (TSR = Terminate Stay Resident)

adam917 no está en línea Stack level 3

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
    "Turbocharging" means simply to remove any TSR applications that you will never use. There are many programs on a BB that, whether you are going to use them or not, load into the background whenever the BB starts, and they take up processor time. Some prime examples are BlackBerry Messenger, Aol Instant messenger, Yahoo, etc. Another set of programs that act this way are the Facebook app and the YouTube app. These are redundant because these websites can be accessed via the browser just as effectively. Basically any program that loads and uses system resources and you are never going to use, delete. Once these TSRs are gone, it is surprising how much faster the handheld is! Of course, keep the apps you plan on using, but don't be afraid to strip the others away. A good way to tell if an app is TSR is if, when you delete it, your Berry requires a reboot to complete the deletion. Hope I explained it OK (TSR = Terminate Stay Resident)
    Which app are you using to get rid of the stuff you don't use? I use BB Boss but am open to suggestions if better stuff exists.
    2007-09-08: 8100
    2007-10-01: 8320
    2008-04-25: 8310
    2008-05-02: 8320 (again!)
    2009-04-27: 8900
    2009-11-17: 9700
    2010-07-31: 7290 (retro!)
    2011-06-22: 9780

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    Please dont tell mrs chokem you have my GF in the seat next to you.
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

Quote Originally Posted by adam917 View Post
    Which app are you using to get rid of the stuff you don't use? I use BB Boss but am open to suggestions if better stuff exists.
    I just delete them directly from the applications menu: From the home screen, type the word "appli". (automatically starts universal search). Click on "Options". Then choose "Application Management". At the top of the new screen, you can choose between 3 lists of apps: All, Required or Optional. Choose Optional. There are all the apps that can be deleted - every one has a delete option. At first it's sort of a guessing game which ones, when deleted, will free up the processor to make the device faster: but concentrate the ones that may need to load at startup to work properly, like BBM etc. At this point I just usually delete every app that I'm certain I will not use.

Quote Originally Posted by chokem View Post
    Please dont tell mrs chokem you have my GF in the seat next to you.
    K! Our secret!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast