Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ok this post is more to vent than anything. So i finally picked up a ... BlackBerry Bold forum

tboooe no está en línea Stack level 3

New BOLD coffee logged...I am screwed!

Advertisement

Ok this post is more to vent than anything. So i finally picked up a Bold last Wed. I loved it from the moment I opened the box. Over the weekend I was streaming music over my WiFi network and watching movies! Needless to say, the BOLD is the best BB ever (well I havent tried the Storm but I need a real keyboard).

Fast forward to Sat morning. I am having my morning coffee and reading the news on my laptop. My 5 year daughter walks over and wants to sit on my lap and play Noggin on the laptop. Like any father, I was happy to oblige. EXCEPT that when she was climbing up on my lap she spilled by entire mug of coffee onto my BOLD!!! Of course I was horrified and tried to grab my BOLD right away but it was too late. It got completely coffee logged and saturated. There was so much coffee in it that when I held it up, coffeed dripped out from every possible crack. Immediately I turned off the phone and took out the battery. For the next hour I used a hair dryer to try and blow out the liquid, and I was horrified to see just how much kept on coming out! I waited 1 full day before turning it back on. With extreme apprehension, I put the battery back in and waited for the BOLD to complete its startup procedure. Believe it or not, everything seemed to function properly!!! I was soo excited. Aside from the strong smell of coffee, the phone worked just fine...until yesterday when I tried to turn on the Bluetooth...no luck! To make matters worse, now the BOLD spontaneously resets itself every few hours!

So here I am 1 week after I got the BOLD and thought it works fairly well, I do not have Bluetooth and cannot rely on it to work more than a few hours before resetting. At this point since I have nothing to lose I am considering opening up the unit and perhaps seeing if there is anything I can do to correct the issues. Does anyone know where the Bluetooth chip is on the board?

Of course I am not holding out much hope that I will be able to do anything. Best case, I have an unstable, Bluetoothless phone. Worst case, I brick it by opening it up.

Anyway, that is my sad sad story....your sympathy is greatly appreciated.

aaronnieves no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    305F72EB
    What a horrible way to start your day! Sorry about the luck..

ssnxp no está en línea Device Pro
    Ouch.. I recommend popping it open and letting it dry out. Possibly wiping it down with alcohol.

darryl71 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    retired
    Quote Originally Posted by ssnxp View Post
    Ouch.. I recommend popping it open and letting it dry out. Possibly wiping it down with alcohol.
    Exactly... pop it open... you have nothing to lose !!! I think it can be saved with some careful wiping (when you are alone ; )

I have kids too and I cringe anytime they touch my bold... scared of drops, spills, or a fit of rage. lol

krosli no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    747101D2
    Well now at least if you have cravings for coffee, you can just smell your phone. Sorry! My sympathy goes out to you on this tragic event. I am sure some of the coffee got into your circuit board. I don't have a clue on where the chip for the bluetooth is. Hope everything works out for you. Let us know what happens.

tippmann15 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Future lesson for blackberry users, keep phone above liquids ;-)
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

smooth69 no está en línea Stack level 1
    thats exactly what you shouldve done from the start, open it up. i will commend you on one thing though, taking the battery out and having no electricity run through the phone. most people tend to turn the phone on after having liquid come in contact with the phone to see if it will still work, and as a result they wind up shorting out their phone. my suggestion is opening up the phone, cleaning out whatever visible liquid damage you find with precision electronics cleaner which you can find at radio shack, and leaving it in a hot place unassembled for at least a week, then asseble it as see what happends. if all else fails, file an insurance claim, if you remebered to add it to you account. hope it works out for you, good luck.
    Last edited by smooth69; 01-14-2009 at 03:50 PM.

Berryadict no está en línea Stack level 7
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Really sorry to hear of your accident, tboooe.
    First measure is to put it in a baggie filled with rice for 48 hours. The rice wicks the moisture away...
    Best of luck

sdevino no está en línea Stack level 1
    It might work for a while but in all likelihood it will become toast soon enough. Its just a matter of time. You homeowner's insurance should cover this.

Steve

deerock no está en línea Stack level 2
    that is tough sorry bro

mike80189 no está en línea Stack level 1

Smooth69 is correct

Quote Originally Posted by smooth69 View Post
    thats exactly what you shouldve done from the start, open it up. i will commend you on one thing though, taking the battery out and having no electricity run through the phone. most people tend to turn the phone on after having liquid come in contact with the phone to see if it will still work, and as a result they wind up shorting out their phone. my suggestion is opening up the phone, cleaning out whatever visible liquid damage you find with precision electronics cleaner which you can find at radio shack, and leaving it in a hot place unassembled for at least a week, then asseble it as see what happends. if all else fails, file an insurance claim, if you remebered to add it to you account. hope it works out for you, good luck.
    The first mistake many people make is thinking a blow dryer will dry the inside of the phone quickly.
    The second mistake is when they put the battery back in or plug it up.
    There is still some chance it will work.
    Denatured alcohol is the best , you can soak the board in it after taking the LCD off, only soak it for about 15-20 minutes then let it dry for a day or so. You can use a tooth brush and dip it to remove any corrosion.
    Good luck, I hope it comes back for you.
    Mike

SVT Cobra no está en línea Stack level 5
    Heartache always comes in pairs my friend. I felt really bad for you and your new phone!
    And when my 8830 read this, it started crying for hours. It got so many tears inside it's case, now it went bad and no longer works! (That's what I'm telling my fiance, so I get a new BB)
    If cleaning it with alcohol does not work, try drinking the (other) alcohol.....

manoffire21 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    30bd08b8
    Quote Originally Posted by SVT Cobra View Post
    Heartache always comes in pairs my friend. I felt really bad for you and your new phone!
    And when my 8830 read this, it started crying for hours. It got so many tears inside it's case, now it went bad and no longer works! (That's what I'm telling my fiance, so I get a new BB)
    If cleaning it with alcohol does not work, try drinking the (other) alcohol.....
    first off sorry for your loss. secondly i whole heartily agree a few swigs of something strong will take your mind off the pain of the future possibly phone loss and after a couple of hours will probably put your mind onto the pain of your stomach as your leaned over a trash can or toilet bowl. hope the humor helps lol best of luck either way!

Pat
    storm 9530
    PIN: 3051C125

tboooe no está en línea Stack level 3
    THANKS everyone! Humor always helps. I am pretty much over it now. Sh*t happens. For whatever reason my phone has not spontaneously reset itself in 2 days. I can live without BT as I mainly use the speaker phone when I am driving and refuse to put a BT headset in my ear (nothing wrong with it though). Instead of spending another $125 I am going to wait and see what other cool phones may pop up within the next year. If nothing then I will go ahead an get a replacement after my phone gets beat up some more.

Berryadict no está en línea Stack level 7
    We're all deeply sorry that this has happened
    Last edited by Berryadict; 01-15-2009 at 04:12 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast