Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hello all,I know everyone has different preferences and this question is somewhat subjective (especially since ... BlackBerry Bold forum

cjeezy no está en línea Stack level 3

Need convinced not to switch to Iphone 3GS?

Advertisement

Hello all,I know everyone has different preferences and this question is somewhat subjective (especially since I'm posting it on a BB forum) but here's what I'm looking for: I just upgraded from an 8310 to a Bold about 2 weeks ago. To be honest, I'm just not that impressed with it. Don't get me wrong, its a good phone but I've had some issues with it and am kinda bored with it already. I'm "thinking" of returning it and picking up an iphone 3GS to try something different. It also has all the options I need for work. Aside from not having a physical keyboard, is there anyone out there that's had experience with both of these phones and could share their experiences. What will I miss, what will I hate, etc, etc

Thanks in advance everyone!

PS: another option would be for me to return it and wait for the optical BB devices to come out within the next couple months. The way the Bold browser is set up (you have to use the cursor) is going to wear this trackball out in no time.
    BlackBerry8310/4.5.0.110 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    I had the Bold and switched to the 3GS and I'm glad I did. For the first time in years I've found a phone that keeps me happy. I can't stress enough how nice it's been to have a phone that I don't need to plug in to a computer to keep it sync'd. The App Store just makes it even better. I loved the Bold and have no complaints about it other than I could not sync it nor update it because I use a Mac. I was chasing my tail double entering everything at the end of the day. If it were not for that I may still have the Bold actually.
    The Bold is a great phone. I just ended up choosing one that was easier to use.

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator
    They are completely different phones, but definately think the iPhone does everything that my BB did and more. I type much faster on the iPhone and and love the sound qaulity while listening with earbuds. The browser is awesome. I will miss bbm and a camera flash, but so far that is it. The iPhone has mms, copy and paste and my email account has push. Watching Youtube or a movie is a breeze. I wish the iPhone wasn't controlled by iTunes and would just let you drop and drag to the phone and let you choose alert tones, but I am getting used to using it. When viewing PS I have to zoom in and move it around to read a post, not sure if I need to adjust something to get the colum view or word wrap and just haven't figured it out yet.
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7C144 Safari/528.16

Thanks for the input! Yeah that does suck they didn't put a flash on the Iphone. Couple questions: How difficult is it to put music on the Iphone thru itunes? I have thousands of CD's stored on my desktop PC but don't have internet on it anymore. Will I be able to move these songs to the phone and with ease? Also, I can type really fast on my BB, do you find that you can still do this with the touch screen?
    BlackBerry8310/4.5.0.110 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102

calm_tiger no está en línea Stack level 5
    Same as above cjeezy I came from a bold to 3G and now to 3G(s). I'm thoroughly convinced that this is the best smartphone I have ever owned. Music is a simple addition with iTunes. You will need a computer with an Internet connection though. As for the keyboard it shouldn't take long to get used to and you will be typing just as fast as you did with your bb. With the touch keyboard IMO it's one less moving part you have to worry about.
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16

Is there any way around putting music on the phone without the PC having internet?
    Last edited by cjeezy; 10-06-2009 at 11:48 PM.

I'm not sure maybe a stacker will come along shortly with your answer.
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16

stewea no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    headed
    iTunes will import your songs when you install it. If you have the songs already on your computer, you will NOT need an internet connection to use iTunes to sync. Even after your first sync (see previous sentence) you won't need to be connected the internet just to sync at any other time. I do it all the time.

If, however, you want to use the iTunes Store to buy songs, Apps, movies, TV shows, etc, then you WILL need an internet connection.

There are some advantages to both phones. Personally, I prefer the Bold's physical keyboard to the iPhone's touch screen. Plus I am quite used to the BB keyboard shortcuts, which I miss on the iPhone. I prefer the built-in security of the BB (I used a hosted Exchange service w/BES). This gives me access to S/MIME and PGP encrypted mail and on-device file encryption (but this is very user-specific). And finally, since I travel overseas A LOT, I have AT&T's BB Int'l Unlimited Data Plan which covers all my data pretty much anywhere in the world I can get a signal. The iPhone data plans are capped, and don't cover a lot of the places I need to travel to.

The iPhone has a top-notch web-browser, and works great as a converged device. It's just not my choice for a business phone (that's why it's my personal line ;-) )

GregGebhardt no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    No Way
    Most of us have all tried the iphone, I left my Blackberry twice to try the iPhone but I came back.

It all comes down to what is most important to you but when it comes to dealing with emails and taking care of business, the iPhone is nothing but a toy in comparison to the Bold. (Sorry but my opinion)

I know many will argue but I want a REAL keyboard with REAL tactile feedback on my device. The glass keyboard will not cut it for me.

Just save some money and do not sell your Blackberry while you are venturing back to the iPhone.
    Greg
    in Jax, FL

Quote Originally Posted by GregGebhardt View Post
    Most of us have all tried the iphone, I left my Blackberry twice to try the iPhone but I came back.

It all comes down to what is most important to you but when it comes to dealing with emails and taking care of business, the iPhone is nothing but a toy in comparison to the Bold. (Sorry but my opinion)

I know many will argue but I want a REAL keyboard with REAL tactile feedback on my device. The glass keyboard will not cut it for me.

Just save some money and do not sell your Blackberry while you are venturing back to the iPhone.

Thanks for the feedback. "IF" I switched to the Iphone, I would always have my 8310 to fall back on if needed. Its still like new and I love the phone. I actually think my Bold (with 3G) is slower than my Curve. Maybe it's just me For work, I just need email, excel, word functions on the phone. What are the differences (especially email) between the phones?

PIN/ID
    No Way
    No device does email better than a Blackberry. Again my opinion but the "push email" on the Blackberry is far superior. When you have to handle 60+ emails a day in the field, it makes a difference.

Do not get me wrong, I LOVE the iPhone. I am amazed at what it can do. Blackberry will never be able to do the Internet like the iPhone.
    Greg
    in Jax, FL

Quote Originally Posted by GregGebhardt View Post
    No device does email better than a Blackberry. Again my opinion but the "push email" on the Blackberry is far superior. When you have to handle 60+ emails a day in the field, it makes a difference.

Do not get me wrong, I LOVE the iPhone. I am amazed at what it can do. Blackberry will never be able to do the Internet like the iPhone.
    I do get 60+ emails a day for work. What will be the most notable difference I'll see on the Iphone? Will the messages not arrive quickly?

Most of the time I do get emails almost or instantly. You have push settings on the iPhone for 15, 30, hourly or manually. I set mine for 15 minutes but as I said I get most emails almost instantly. If you have even a remote feeling that you may be in receipt of an email you may also just open up your email client and there is an automatic update upon opening it. iPhone email is not as bad as everyone would have you believe IMO.

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    Quick question to you iphone freak-O's : Is there a free gps app for it yet? I use and abuse my bb for the many things it can do and one of the things I abuse the heck outta it for is "amAze GPS" it's a free voice activated gps. Have been using it for a verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrry long time and have had no issues whatsoever. If I were to switch to an iphone I would definitely love to have a turn by turn voice enabled free gps app like my bb has with amAze gps. Thanks in advance
    What's the matter? CIA's got you pushing too many pencils?

PIN/ID
    No Way
    Quote Originally Posted by calm_tiger View Post
    You have push settings on the iPhone for 15, 30, hourly or manually. I set mine for 15 minutes but as I said I get most emails almost instantly. If you have even a remote feeling that you may be in receipt of an email you may also just open up your email client and there is an automatic update upon opening it.
    I do not understand "push settings on the iPhone for 15, 30, hourly or manually"

Does not sound like real push email to me. Real push email you have no settings like this. When you get a email it is pushed to your phone on a Blackberry. Mine arrive within 10-15 seconds sometimes even less.

I never have that "remote feeling that you may be in receipt of an email", what kind of feeling is that?
    Greg
    in Jax, FL

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast