Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I left AT&T because of dropped calls, went to Verizon & I'm much happier. Only ... BlackBerry Bold forum

wcbratton no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    312AE7B1

Advertisement

I left AT&T because of dropped calls, went to Verizon & I'm much happier. Only thing I miss is using a sim card & being able to change phones easier. But now that I have a BB I have not even thought of changing phones.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    I just finally gave up on Verizon so many dropped calls. AT&T has been perfect. So has T-Mobile, I use them both, no problem. Bold (running .210) on my AT&T line and Curve on my T-Mobile line. At the end of the day you cannot beat these two carriers.

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    I've had AT&T for several years now and rarely have a dropped call. It mainly happens when its super cloudy or rainy. Now customer service is another issue.......~via 9000 (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Last edited by chokem; 01-24-2009 at 10:19 PM.

snipes mcgee no está en línea Stack level 4
    Quote Originally Posted by chokem View Post
    I've had AT&T for several years now and rarely have a dropped call. It mainly happens when its super cloudy or rainy. Now customer service is another issue.......~via 9000 (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Lol customer service does suck but the upside is that you rarely have to call them.

My right hand to God... I called CS the other day to ask if I could use Cingular Video over wifi and the dude straight up said "Uh... I don't know dude..." and didn't bother to even offer to transfer me to someone who would know... lol. It wasn't that important to me so me so I didn't mind that he didn't know, I actually found it funny.

Needless to say, I just laughed and politely hung up.
    I have a BlackBerry and a WhiteApple. :)

applejosh no está en línea Stack level 3
    I think dropped calls are more a factor of where you are and the quality of the network in that area. I left Verizon for AT&T because signal at my house sucked. I actually got a landline for home because I couldn't talk to my wife (was in another state for a couple of months after we were married) for more than 30 seconds at a time. The phone was essentially useless in the couple of months leading up to my switch at my house. I've been happy with AT&T thus far (of course it's only been 3 weeks). Great signal strength at home and great signal strength at the office. If Verizon works for you, go with Verizon. If AT&T is better where you spend most of your time, go with AT&T. Seems simple to me.
    applejosh
    iPhone 4 (AT&T)
    OS 4.3

snipes mcgee no está en línea Stack level 4
    Quote Originally Posted by applejosh View Post
    I think dropped calls are more a factor of where you are and the quality of the network in that area. I left Verizon for AT&T because signal at my house sucked. I actually got a landline for home because I couldn't talk to my wife (was in another state for a couple of months after we were married) for more than 30 seconds at a time. The phone was essentially useless in the couple of months leading up to my switch at my house. I've been happy with AT&T thus far (of course it's only been 3 weeks). Great signal strength at home and great signal strength at the office. If Verizon works for you, go with Verizon. If AT&T is better where you spend most of your time, go with AT&T. Seems simple to me.
    Exactly, it's very simple.

The problem is that the carriers don't have reliable and accurate depiction of the areas their networks cover. Customers will buy a phone thinking that the area they live/work has great coverage according to the coverage maps or what a sales rep would lie and say, when in reality it could be nonexistent.
    I have a BlackBerry and a WhiteApple. :)

skillz9669 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    209949D9
    well I work for AT&T now and worked as a cellular technician for vzw for almost 5 years. As for the amount of dropped calls. (btw this is referring to the original topic at hand) I need to ask a few questions.

1. how long have you had att
    2. did you have this problem with a previous phone
    3. have you recently changed sim cards? (if so has it been since the change)
    4. Have you made sure the bold has no type of call forwarding or phone call security enhancements set
    5. is the bold locked to att still or unlocked?

I have dealt with many customers that have had issues similar to your and alot of the time it is such a simple fix. authentication issues in the network end is a fairly common issue especially if you had an older cingular or att non-3g sim card and they had to change it to give you a new phone.

If you can answer those questions I will delve into it a little deeper to try and find you a better answer that suits your question at hand
    -Skillz-

"If winners never quit and quitters never win, then people who never win and never quit are just IDIOTS"

Skillz is right. The areas that he touched on are most probably where the problem is. I have used AT&T for over 7 years with more that 30 different phones and never had a problem. That includes phones on EDGE and 3G, both have been excellent.

~via BoldBerry 6 (wap.pinstack.com)~

EricScott no está en línea Stack level 2
    I've noticed similar issues as the OP. Have been on AT&T for about 3.5 years in NYC. Have 5 bars of 3G in most places and ever since I upgraded to 210 about a month ago I feel like I am experiencing more dropped calls or "Failed Calls". It almost always happens in the first few seconds of the call, particularly outgoing calls. I try to place the call, get the Called Failed popup message and then I try again and the call connects fine. Rarely had any dropouts w/ my Pearl for 2+ years and didn't seem to notice as many when I first got the Bold in November and was running 167. I haven't paid a ton of attention to the failed calls but after reading this post and especially seeing the reference to 210 it really seems to echo the behavior I have seen.

skillz9669 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    209949D9
    Correct me if I'm wrong but the 210 wasn't released by att which could result in issues with the gateways and internal software settings for phone calls. It could be getting initially rejected by the network here and there. This could be part of the issue if not the issue itself
    -Skillz-

"If winners never quit and quitters never win, then people who never win and never quit are just IDIOTS"

Quote Originally Posted by skillz9669 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but the 210 wasn't released by att which could result in issues with the gateways and internal software settings for phone calls. It could be getting initially rejected by the network here and there. This could be part of the issue if not the issue itself
    Excellent point, as are the other experiences that are being reported here with version .210. From my personal experience with my primary AT&T Bold which has run flawlessly on .210 without a single dropped call for well over a month. Once again we are witnessing the significant lack of consistency from one Bold to the next in how they perform on the exact same network and OS. It seems to be a problem that RIM is either unable or unwilling to solve in a timely fashion. However based on their silence perhaps its just taking them much longer to correct than would be expected of an experienced company. Perhaps there has been a reduction in the number of knowledgeable & experienced engineers on staff. While this is simply speculation, it's all one can do with the emergence of new trends in reduced device performance & reliability. For a certain group of Bold models to work very well on .210 while others do not, speaks volumes about the questionable results from the home of RIM. Very interesting indeed. Just another example of why it took me over a month and great inconvenience as I purchased one defective Bold after the other until finally the sixth one was able to actually perform in a manner somewhat close to what was advertised to do. Even though it was up to me to continue to troubleshoot its erratic behavior and seek a partial solution through the use of beta software. Now that this debacle has gone on so long it's laughable. Just think, new offering from RIM, BlackBerry in a kit....all for a premium price....heh!

~via BoldBerry 6 (wap.pinstack.com)~

betavirus no está en línea Stack level 2
    There are so many factors to consider. Where I live (Wisconsin) ATT is upgrading. To 3G. I have lost calls in one area where this upgrade is in progress. Near my office the 3G upgrade is complete and there are no failed calls.
    The new 3G is very fast and a constant 5 bars even in a steel and brick building. The old 2G service would only get 1 or 2 bars in the same building.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

manoffire21 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    30bd08b8
    Quote Originally Posted by flushbob View Post
    hello,

i have a bold with AT&T. I upgraded the OS to 4.6.0.210 because i heard good things. and my bold runs just fine from battery to gps to 3rd party applications to no memory leaks.

THe version that it came with was decent to except for the memory draining out like crazy which was irritating so i moved up a build or 2.

anyways, my real issue is that I am getting crazy amounts of dropped calls. Usually the second time I call, it will stay connected but the first call i make or recieve from a person has a 50% chance of going dead and then displaying the message, "CALL FAILED."

anyone else having this problem???...is there anyone out there who knows how to stop this. It's really starting to get annoying especially when I get the occasional important call and the dam thing drops the call and I end up speaking to myself for an extra 20seconds without even knowing.

ALSO, anyone getting the issue where the call gets dropped and the person who you are talking to get re-directed to some spanish recording??...i have had 2 or 3 reports of those as well.

COMMENTS, FIXES, CURES, anyone else having same issues or know why this is happening???

what a bitter sweet my bold relationship is sometimes.
    im having the same issues with their service and they tell me that im supposed to be in a perfect 3g area! to hell with att im going to verizon!
    storm 9530
    PIN: 3051C125

Quote Originally Posted by manoffire21 View Post
    im having the same issues with their service and they tell me that im supposed to be in a perfect 3g area! to hell with att im going to verizon!
    What has been done to identify the exact cause of the issues you are experiencing?

dblake15 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Well I have had this problem with any OS other than the one that shipped with the bold .167. It is weird, but soon as I went back to 167 all of the calls stopped dropping. It may be an area thing, but I am waiting for the next OS to be certified by AT&T before I jump.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast