I just went from an 8800 to a BOLD at the beginning of November. I ... BlackBerry Bold forum

mackbig no está en línea Stack level 1

messages gone - auto delete?

Advertisement

I just went from an 8800 to a BOLD at the beginning of November. I typically keep two months of BES emails and all my pins. Last night I did a battery out reset to free up some memory.

I am always searching emails sent with past 60 days, and when I did not get any hits on an email sent last week, I started investigating and this is what I discovered....

All my pins and BES emails prior to Sundy November 16th have disappeared from the device. I have "keep messages forever" turned on and all my other setup is the same as my 8800. My bis emails, sms and phone logs are all still there back to my last "delete prior" I have never had anything like this happen in my 5 years of having a blackberry.

Thoughts?

Andrew

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Welcome to the world of Bold problems. While I have not experienced that issue, I have been truly amazed at how buggy the early Bold models are & how many people are being defensive about it when one brings them up. As a very positive enthusiastic BlackBerry advocate, I've simply reported my experiences with not one, but three Bold's and experienced the hostility & criticism of others as though I was imagining the problems. Currently I'm on my fourth Bold and thi is a good one, that does what it's supposed to do. However I say to those who are thinking of a Bold - wait. Give RIM & AT&T time to sort out & fix the bugs, you will be glad you did. .
    sent via BlackBerry
    (wap.pinstack.com)~

I302K no está en línea Stack level 1
    maybe its the same thing like on the pearl to a cache clean up

jaesternbach no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24b04967
    Perhaps it's a memory leak? How much available mem. do you have left? Having emails from 2 months ago, phone logs, internet cache, texts, etc... really start to eat away at memory.

mjwood0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    The Bold has had its share of initial release problems. While many are quick to defend, I really think we need to be honest here and face the fact that the software just isn't quite "there" yet on this device.

If you have the device set to keep messages forever, and you have plenty of memory free, I'm guessing you're finding a bug in the OS. It's odd though -- I don't know of a feature to delete mail more than 3 days old... I thought the shortest option was 15 days.

Good luck!
    As always, just my opinion...
    mjwood0 (at) pinstack (.) com
    Remove PTT | OS Upgrade

J. Thompson no está en línea Stack level 3
    I am personally of the belief that there are alot of issues that need to be resolved with the 4.6 OS as it is not stable as the platforms that preceded it.

My Bold has become very buggy as of late and my 8220 flip has its issues also. The Bold more so than the flip.

Point in case today. I pulled my Bold out of the holster this morning and the screen showed "application error 503 or 593 (don't remember the exact #)" and had a clickable reset icon. I reset the device and when it powered back on, my BBM, messages, Browser, Facebook, and Myspace and a few other icons were gone.

Did some checks and then tried to resend service books, etc... and finally did a battery pull and they re-appeared.

I've never had any issues with any other BB that I have owned but this is a major issue IMO.

Talked to a CSR on the phone from ATT and she gave me some alternatives and she told me this might be a faulty device.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Thompson View Post
    I am personally of the belief that there are alot of issues that need to be resolved with the 4.6 OS as it is not stable as the platforms that preceded it.

My Bold has become very buggy as of late and my 8220 flip has its issues also. The Bold more so than the flip.

Point in case today. I pulled my Bold out of the holster this morning and the screen showed "application error 503 or 593 (don't remember the exact #)" and had a clickable reset icon. I reset the device and when it powered back on, my BBM, messages, Browser, Facebook, and Myspace and a few other icons were gone.

Did some checks and then tried to resend service books, etc... and finally did a battery pull and they re-appeared.

I've never had any issues with any other BB that I have owned but this is a major issue IMO.

Talked to a CSR on the phone from ATT and she gave me some alternatives and she told me this might be a faulty device.
    Based on my personal experience, with EVERY OS update currently available for the Bold, I would highly encourage you to return the phone in exchange for another new Bold. I had three Bold's that were bad, and the fourth one was finally a "good one". A situation that while unacceptable in my eyes, is simply how it is today with the BlackBerry Bold. Some are good, some are not, and the various OS updates offer some improvements, but are far from a sure thing.

J. Thompson no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    Based on my personal experience, with EVERY OS update currently available for the Bold, I would highly encourage you to return the phone in exchange for another new Bold. I had three Bold's that were bad, and the fourth one was finally a "good one". A situation that while unacceptable in my eyes, is simply how it is today with the BlackBerry Bold. Some are good, some are not, and the various OS updates offer some improvements, but are far from a sure thing.
    This was one of the options that the CSR gave me and I will probably execute that option this evening if the ATT store locally has it in stock.

It is dissappointing to have to go this route as overall the device is fairly solid and I have never had these issues with other BB's.

I could always be guaranteed that my older BB were going to be troubleless devices.

mjwood0 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    This is one of many reasons I'm hesitant to go out and get the Bold. I rely too heavily on my BB. If it's not working correctly, it's useless for me. I need rock solid stability.

I've had good luck with my 8310 and really hope that the new Javelin is stable when it gets to AT&T... Time will tell!
    As always, just my opinion...
    mjwood0 (at) pinstack (.) com
    Remove PTT | OS Upgrade

GregGebhardt no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    No Way
    I always reserve thinking it is the devices fault till we know what the OP has loaded up on their device. No matter how much memory RIM puts in the device there is always some who will exceed what is safe. I know it does happen but I have never had anything just disappear from my Blackberry.
    Greg
    in Jax, FL

mackbig no está en línea Stack level 1
    thanks for all the responses. I thought I had setup email notification on this thread, so I had not seen any and just re-logged onto the forum today and saw all the response....

This is the only issue i have had, aside from an apparent memory leak. I have to reboot every few days to free up application memory. Well i dont "have" to, I just dont like seeing the memory so low, I have never had a problem with running anything.

Thanks,
    Andrew