Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My older BB's used to cut off the radio as they went flat to retain ... BlackBerry Bold forum

wibbly no está en línea Stack level 3

Low battery logic changed?

Advertisement

My older BB's used to cut off the radio as they went flat to retain off-line PIM functions for as long as possible.

I had my .167 Bold go down to 5% battery yesterday and the radio was *still* on. Also at 10% the LED started flashing green, and a "low battery" status appeared on the home screen.

Left it on charge (from 5%) over night. This morning when I woke up the background image on the home screen had been reset to default - which I hadn't noticed the night before.

Is all this what others are seeing?

GregGebhardt no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    No Way
    Never had mine close to 5%. My past BB have always turned the radio off at 10%

Do not like to run the battery to close to dead as it will shorten the life. How long did it take to run your battery down to 5%?

Indeed. But with a Bold, if you actually play with the 3G/GPS/WiFi features, you don't have so much of a choice. It all happened in one day (100% -> 5%)

joewoo no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    22CF1F2F
    The battery can go down to 0% and you are still able to use the device as a PIM

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    22CF1F2F
    Radio turns off at 0%

Subjectively, how much PIM time do you get after the radio turns off?

Sounds like they just made 10% show 0% so people are happy they get ANY use at all after it 'says' 0% LOL, instead of moaning they wanted the last 10% for a few more calls (because the battery meter said they had 10% left)!

PIN/ID
    22CF1F2F
    I haven't found that part out... Its happened to me twice so far and both times, I was fairly impressed that it was still on..

How would you go about measuring the time anyways?? Usually we post battery times with what we did during the time... But with the radio off... What do you do to see how much longer it lasts??

I couldn't really figure a way to measure, which is why I haven't done so yet...

Would have to be purely subjective. How long in hours/minutes before it died, and how long you were doing stuff with it at the time (how long you spent doing lookups, playing music/videos etc). Personally, I'm only interested if you get 'hours' or 'minutes' left to check your calendar, look up contact details etc...

PIN/ID
    22CF1F2F
    Well... I know its at least an hour.. Mine dropped to 0% and I had checked the bold to look up some stuff.. But because I didn't know how much time I had, I was very light on use during that hour...

Maybe I can turn on the video camera and find out how much time of that I can use before the unit totally drains out..

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by wibbly View Post
    Indeed. But with a Bold, if you actually play with the 3G/GPS/WiFi features, you don't have so much of a choice. It all happened in one day (100% -> 5%)
    thats really surprising. you might want to look into the battery problems thread i play with my Bold 24/7 i actually dont put it down and it lasts 2 full days with 3G and wifi on.

PIN/ID
    22CF1F2F
    That's a long time.. Mine doesn't last that long... I can confidently go a full day... But if I go for the 2nd... I have to stay on light use...

Oh, I'm sure in my case it's all about 3G (and Wifi) coverage. Running just GPRS today. Off charger at 7am. In good coverage area. Maybe 15-20mins of calls and a few emails. Now 3:15pm and it's at 90%...

With 3G/WiFi/GPS options it seems you have to be much more cogniscent of what's going on and manually "tune" your settings. Even with just GPRS, battery life has always been much worse in poor signal areas, but now with the other radios the issue seems more acute.

But I guess I can always just leave all the 'new' radios off and emulate an older device, complete with less features but more battery life... I'd run my Curve 8300 with Bluetooth on all the time too. That didn't seem to impact battery life much at all. Will try that tomorrow with the Bold.

I may have to re-assign a convenience key to the 'Manage Connections' application. Oh well...
    Last edited by wibbly; 10-27-2008 at 12:24 PM.

mac14x no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    217a1629
    Quote Originally Posted by ranxoren View Post
    thats really surprising. you might want to look into the battery problems thread i play with my Bold 24/7 i actually dont put it down and it lasts 2 full days with 3G and wifi on.
    Wooow Thats Definitely long, my doesn't even last a day, I charge it at 11-12pm at night and than start using it at 7am, and its down more than half about 5pm. And i dont use it most of the day at school
    ~90 people get the swine flu and everyone is wearing face masks. Millions of people have AIDS but no one wears condoms...

PIN/ID
    22CF1F2F
    ok so i let my bold drop to 0% today... well i didnt LET it happen... but anyways... found out some interesting stuff...

as soon as i saw that the bold had shut off the radio, i went ahead and tried to make a video to see how much extra battery life id get...

the video recorded for 1 min and 3 seconds!!!

i THOUGHT it would last longer... soooo i dont kno what that really translates to vs checking addresses and calendar appointments or whatever....

the real interesting thing is when the bold dies, its not like the device 100% totally shuts off (like not having a battery in the unit)... right after the message "shutting down the battery is drained" the screen goes off, i tried to turn it on... and the screen actually lights up... but it just displays the message again... and then turns off.... i actually did it like 3 times... after that i didnt care much for it....

so theres a kinda sorta update...
    torched!

krosli no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    747101D2
    Quote Originally Posted by ranxoren View Post
    Yours is definately longer than mine. ( and I mean the battery life people ) I am getting a replacement and I will compare that to my old one and see what the difference is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast