I've had my Curve 8530 for about a year and don't know how I ever ... BlackBerry Bold forum

JavaBratt no está en línea Stack Professional

Question Leaving 8530 for 9650... thoughts?

Advertisement

I've had my Curve 8530 for about a year and don't know how I ever lived without a BB to be honest. So the other day I took Verizon up on their (so-called) discount and opted to get the Bold 9650. Unfortunately, when/if I get it today, I'll spend most of my time wiping and installing a new OS because it only ships with OS5. So I was wondering...

Has anyone else went from a 8530 to a 9650? If so, what are the biggest changes between the two? What will I gain? Lose?

What are some "must have" apps for this device?

Also, when I'm done it will have OS6

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies!
    iPhone 5C | iOS 7.0.4
    iPad 3 - 32GB | iOS 7.0.4

Theme Support Info

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    I've not had a 9650, but I did have the 9700 which is the GSM version of the 9650. Awesome device. You'll like it much better than your 8530 for sure. You'll gain a much beefier device, twice the memory, a better camera (does the 8530 have a camera at all?), to name a few.

You've got to look into all the Bellshare apps. BeWeather is by far the best weather application for BlackBerry on the market. That and BeBuzz and BePopup are apps that I am missing on my i4.

There are countless others that I'm sure other people will recommend as well.

Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by RogerG View Post
    I've not had a 9650, but I did have the 9700 which is the GSM version of the 9650. Awesome device. You'll like it much better than your 8530 for sure. You'll gain a much beefier device, twice the memory, a better camera (does the 8530 have a camera at all?), to name a few.

You've got to look into all the Bellshare apps. BeWeather is by far the best weather application for BlackBerry on the market. That and BeBuzz and BePopup are apps that I am missing on my i4.

There are countless others that I'm sure other people will recommend as well.

Enjoy!
    Thanks for the reply Roger!

To answer your question, yes the 8530 does have a camera. It's only a 2.0 mp camera though and I believe the new one I'm getting has a 3.2mp camera, so I'm interested to see how much better it really works. I don't use the camera all that much, but it has still come in handy from time to time.

I'm also wondering if I will notice much of a difference in the extra memory since I'm upgrading the memory by switching to the 9650, but the OS as well (going from OS5 to OS6). For some reason it doesn't strike me that its going to be all that different, but I guess I will see when I get it later today.

I just recently started coming across the Bellshare apps though so I will definitely look into the ones you mentioned. Also, is BeWeather the same as BerryWeather or are the two different apps?

Thanks again!!
    iPhone 5C | iOS 7.0.4

Theme Support Info

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Yep, BeWeather and BerryWeather are one and the same. They've had to change their naming conventions.

PapaMag no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Nadda
    My wife runs the 9650 you should enjoy the change, I went from a 8320 to a 9700 and I know I was way happy

Samsung Galaxy S4
    Asus Nexus 7
    Nook Color

Plus One!! The switch from the Curve to the Bold will be very nice. The Bold's 3.2 MP camera is awesome, video is also awesome. The feel of the device is much more professional, too - it will feel like the Curve was a toy. Battery life is industry standard. The Bold is RIM's flagship device, and you will understand why and be very happy.

Sorry guys! I'm evidently not getting my email on my new BB for some reason, or rather I am, just not all the time or in a timely manner

Quote Originally Posted by RogerG View Post
    Yep, BeWeather and BerryWeather are one and the same. They've had to change their naming conventions.
    I will check out BeWeather Monday as Verizon is already having to send me another device to replace the one they just sent. But if you have any other app suggestions, they're more than welcome

Quote Originally Posted by PapaMag View Post
    My wife runs the 9650 you should enjoy the change, I went from a 8320 to a 9700 and I know I was way happy
    I've not had much time with it since I only got it Thursday, however, I do know that I like the keyboard a LOT more than I did on my 8530. The only downside to that being the area around the keys is open, like a keyboard on a PC whereas my 8530 was more like buttons. So I hope it doesn't create a problem with getting dirt and whatnot down under the keys.

I also hate hate HATE the USB placement as it should have been left like it was with the 8530 which had it toward the top of the device on the left rather than where this one is, toward the bottom on the right. Makes using it while plugged in almost impossible

In the end I think I will be happy once I get used to these things and get a device from Verizon that's not screwed up LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
    Plus One!! The switch from the Curve to the Bold will be very nice. The Bold's 3.2 MP camera is awesome, video is also awesome. The feel of the device is much more professional, too - it will feel like the Curve was a toy. Battery life is industry standard. The Bold is RIM's flagship device, and you will understand why and be very happy.
    I did test out the camera and it does seem to take some very nice pictures, but I have not yet checked out the camcorder part. But the feel is definitely a lot different that my Curve as this one is a little bigger, a lot heavier and just appears to be overall built better. My Curve battery cover drove me nuts because it was so loose I could just push one side and it would pop off. But the battery leaves a lot to be desired and I think its battery life is almost worse than it was with my curve. The specs say up to five hours talk time, but IMHO that's a load of BS.

But again, I think I will be happy over all once i get used to all the little changes.

Thanks to everyone for the posts!
    iPhone 5C | iOS 7.0.4

Theme Support Info