i'm running my 9700 with v.5.0.0.593, ive heard these a release ending with .922 . ... BlackBerry Bold forum

stolt no está en línea Stack level 3

latest os for my bold 9700

Advertisement

i'm running my 9700 with v.5.0.0.593, ive heard these a release ending with .922 . mine is a unlocked so i just need a unbranded software.

anyone running it?

thanks

rob

Quote Originally Posted by stolt View Post
    i'm running my 9700 with v.5.0.0.593, ive heard these a release ending with .922 . mine is a unlocked so i just need a unbranded software.

anyone running it?

thanks

rob
    As far as I know the latest is the one listed below in my sig (I'm a birdhead and don't remember the numero now!)

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    It's .743, Mark.

If there was another release available we would have heard about it. I'm thinking you are talking about the Package Version .922. That is Applications Version .545, which is what we use when thinking of OS versions.

ok so its alittle higher than what the one i have on my phone, normally when i log on the desktop anager its old me before that there is new software to download. Where do i pick up a safe copy of the .743 OS , again dont really want a branded software as i bought my 9700 offline
    thanks

The links to all the OS upgrades are in the first post in this thread. However, if you want my advice, don't bother - there is extremely little difference between the fives. The upgrade you're thinking about would be a lot of work for virtually nothing - and we're verrrrry close to six!

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator
    The link to the official 9700 OS's is here:

http://forums.pinstack.com/f276/late...0_july-116291/

thanks for the link, just so i have this right i'm on vodaphone but i have a unbranded phone (bought off line) i can download the os 5.0.0.743

but just delete the vendor file and all will be ok???

sorry just read the post above about not bothering,,, do you think we will get 6 for the 9700 i thought i read somewhere they werent going to do it for the 9700!!

thanks
    rob

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator
    If you decide to upgrade, follow these directions and you'll be good to go.

1. REMOVE THE MEDIA CARD!! - Many people have uneventfully and successfully upgraded their device OS with the media card installed, but just as many, if not more have experienced data corruption of their media by leaving the card in....corruption which leads to random reboots of your device, among other things. In case you forget this step, you'll probably need to reference this thread after your upgrade.

2. BACK UP YOUR DATA! - Any time you are upgrading your OS, it is imperative that you back up any of the data or applications you've loaded on your device!

3. Download and INSTALL on your PC/laptop the lastest Operating System for your device from this link, courtesy of jdellasalla. It does not matter from which carrier you get the OS, but it must be specific to your device. In other words, you cannot load the OS for an 8100 on your 8310. I emphasized install because downloading and installing are two different things. In most cases, however, the installing will occur automatically after the executable has been downloaded. Just in case, it's wise to make note of where these files are loading on your computer. Go to your Control Panel>Add or Remove Programs (Programs and Features on Vista) and look for anything that says BlackBerry Device Software 4.x. If you click on that, it should tell you at the bottom of the screen what the version number is. If it's the one you wanted, you're good to go, othewise you'll need to locate the files you downloaded and initiate the installation of the OS from there. Note: If there is more than one OS on your PC, you will need to either uninstall or relocate the other OS's so that DM can find the one you want to upgrade to.

4. If you are installing an OS from your carrier then you can skip this step, otherwise you must delete the "vendor.xml" file. Navigate to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader on your PC/laptop, highlight and delete this file. You can also search your computer's hard drive for the "vendor.xml" file and delete it that way.

5. Connect your device to the computer.

6. Navigate once again to the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader on your PC/laptop. In that folder you'll see an executable icon called Loader. Double click that icon, then click Next. The following screen should be Communication Port Selection and your PIN should show up in the box. Click Next again. Loader will then read the device and your computer for the OS. As in the traditional installation method, the selected check boxes indicate applications that are already installed on the BlackBerry device. Again, from here you can select or unselect any applications you wish to install or leave off your device.

7. Continue to follow the prompts as in the traditional method and your new OS will proceed to be installed. With this method you will still be informed of any errors along the way, as well as indicating that the upgrade operation was completed successfully.

Be Patient! Device upgrades can take as long as an hour and sometimes even longer! Whatever you do, let the Desktop Manager do its thing! Don't be tempted to unplug the cable or stop the upgrade no matter how long it's taking! Device initialization is probably the most painfully slow portion of the upgrade process, so just be patient!

Remember: You do this at your own risk and neither PinStack nor the authors of this post assume any responsbility. Having said that, also know that you have a world of support available to you here on PinStack, so you can feel confident that in the event something goes wrong, which while entirely possible is very unlikely, it will be addressed and resolved quickly!