Yesterday I bought a new 9000 Bold (a gift for my wife) and later discovered ... BlackBerry Bold forum

Janganpanic no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    20CF057B

Language Support

Advertisement

Yesterday I bought a new 9000 Bold (a gift for my wife) and later discovered that it does not have the language support I was expecting. I live in Jakarta and wish to use Indonesian language for the menus. My first 9000 Bold (Vodafone Indonesia Branding) bought one month ago does have Indonesian language support but the new one does not and the problem appears due to the phone having been branded by TIM (Italy). I didn't realise this was the case until I got home and took it out of the box. The TIM branding restricts the language of any OS updates to European languages. Seems like there is no way I can get the Indonesian language onto the device even by attempting an OS update. Why a vendor in Jakarta sold me a phone branded by Italy's TIM is a mystery which I plan to take up with the vendor but nonetheless I cannot understand why there should be any kind of restriction on the languages which I can use on the device. Its OS details are:
    Applications: 4.6.0.185
    Software Platform: 4.0.0.169

I doubt that I will find a solution to this problem but if anyone can explain to me why this kind of language restriction exists I would be most interested to know.

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Jan, You might be able to upgrade to another OS and get the language support you need - at least it's worth a try. Look in this thread for new releases and desktop manager downloads and upgrade instructions. Good luck.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

scoundrel no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    242100A9
    jan, just install the the latest .216 (multilang)os and you will be ready to go. It doesn't make any difference if u use an OS from another operator.

No issues.

Janganpanic no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    20CF057B
    Quote Originally Posted by scoundrel View Post
    jan, just install the the latest .216 (multilang)os and you will be ready to go. It doesn't make any difference if u use an OS from another operator.

No issues.

Thanks guys for the guidance. Actually, before I even made this post I headed down that path but stopped short of the actual installation - the reason being that when I checked the list of components to be ugraded the Indonesian language support was missing. As a check I went through the same procedure with my other Blackberry that already has the Indonesian language support and sure enough the component for updating the Indonesian language support was lpresent. So my (newbie) conclusion is that some components of the OS are not be available if they have not been authorised by the operator/phone provider - i.e. an OS update will only update the components that the device already has.
    And yes I did delete the vendor.xlm file.

bangkuang no está en línea Stack level 1
    use east asia 4.6.0.216 contain indonesia lang