Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I have searched the forums and cannot find my specific instance mentioned, so I apologize ... BlackBerry Bold forum

Tree Fiddy no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    2421261E

JVM Error 517

Advertisement

I have searched the forums and cannot find my specific instance mentioned, so I apologize if I was unable to locate a previously-answered post such as the following...

I have had a 9700 for three weeks and have not yet installed the Desktop Manager. This morning while working, my screen went white and I received the JVM Error 517.

I went to T-Mo and they called the BlackBerry folks within their organization to ask about it. The BB folks confirmed what I read here and other places; the OS needs to be re-installed.

I came home, installed DM and now I cannot do anything with the DM software because I am prompted to make sure my device is plugged into the computer. It is plugged in but isn't recognized by the DM software, I assume, because of the error. I seem to be dead in the water with a three week old Bold.

Does anyone know what I can do to fix this?

Lavagirl no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    AoleLava
    Try This thread and see if that helps.
    Once you have done that and can get DM to recognize device, use This guide to
    correctly reinstall your OS.

On another note, if your device is only 3 weeks old it should still be within the carrier return
    period. You could take it back and get a new one.

PIN/ID
    2421261E
    The carrier return period is two weeks, unfortunately. I purchased it on April 3. I will follow the steps outlined in the threads linked above. Thank you.

PIN/ID
    2421261E
    No matter what I do I get the "Before you begin, verify that your current BlackBerry device is connected to your computer" message. I am able to select "Options" prior to the message appearing, but selecting USB, then clicking OK does nothing but show the aforementioned message.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tree Fiddy View Post
    The carrier return period is two weeks, unfortunately. I purchased it on April 3. I will follow the steps outlined in the threads linked above. Thank you.
    Who is your carrier?

PIN/ID
    2421261E
    T Mobile.

TMO US? Their return policy is 14 days?

Lavagirl no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    AoleLava
    That seems short. AT&T is 30 days.

Yeah, I think it's gotta be 30 days.

PIN/ID
    2421261E
    The instructions above did not help me (I kept getting prompted to connect the device) but I happened across some other instructions that fixed my problem in about five minutes. I downloaded the handheld software as you advised, then launched "Loader" from C:Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader

It took less than 5 minutes to reinstall the OS and I am now back up and running. Seems since I had not yet installed DM when this happened, I was not allowed to use DM since it was not synched with my BB. Of course, I am guessing on that one as I am not a dev. However, less than five minutes and I was good to go.

Thanks, folks, for the super fast replies to my question. That is one of the reasons I read these boards and use Pinstack; the community seems really great and helpful.

Good morning Tree - Elegant solution to your problem, good job!

I think this assessment:
    Seems since I had not yet installed DM when this happened, I was not allowed to use DM since it was not synched with my BB. Of course, I am guessing on that one as I am not a dev. However, less than five minutes and I was good to go.
    . . .is correct. Keep it up, pretty soon we'll all be coming to you for help!

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    If you hadn't installed DM to your system yet, then likely the USB drivers were not present and that is why it wouldn't recognize your device. Glad to hear you got the problem resolved. I'm surprised T-Mo told you 14 days. I've been with them for almost 10 years and its been 30 days for as long as I've been around. If it happens again, make them warranty it out.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

labevlol no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    BREEEEEE
    Its 14 days. Which is unfortunate. Although, I believe you have 30 days to "return" the device and cancel your newly signed contract. Like a clean slate

Just called my local Tmo people - 14 Days return policy if you simply don't like the device for any reason; 30 days return to T-Mobile for physical (not software) problems; One year RIM warranty, which Tmo is authorized to honor.

PIN/ID
    2421261E
    I called also and was told I could come in and exchange the phone for a refurb unit within 30 days (?!). These inconsistencies are frustrating but since I get 3G data tethering for free, and am still on a real cheap friend and family plan, I will live with them and keep smiling.

I'll tell you one thing though... I went Symbian, to Pearl, to Curve, to Apple, to Android and right back to BlackBerry. Seems even though there are things about the BB OS I don't like, I like it much more than any other mobile OS I have used...and I think I've used most of them in the last two years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast