Okay heres my review inspired (clearly) by eudorauser's as i was also a Curve lover ... BlackBerry Bold forum

PIN/ID
    AskMe

Just another Bold review (greatly inspired by eudorauser's)

Advertisement

Okay heres my review inspired (clearly) by eudorauser's as i was also a Curve lover :

1. Size
    I work for Rogers, and we got the Bold dummy unit back in hmm ... April.
    I looked at it, played with it and OMG was i horrified. It felt bigger than the 88xx and the leather backing is actually some kind of weird plastic on the dummy.
    I swore to myself, OMG never getting this phone so I decided to give the iPhone 3G a chance when it came out.
    Then, comes 28th of august, release date in Canada.
    I then get to play with a live unit and guess what ? i FELL IN LOVE and out goes my iPhone 3G.
    For the little side story, my girlfriend (curve user) also got the iPhone 3G on launch day but quickly sold it to get her pink curve back.
    The bold is not that much taller than the Curve and they feel about the same thinness-wise.
    Now where the Bold is different is width wise. Its clearly wider but because of the rounded back it just sits nicely in your palm (now this is coming from a guy's point of view; my girlfriend hates the feel of it and is waiting for the Javelin like the next messiah lol).

2. Form
    Screen: Amazing. Period. The resolution is just ridiculous and everything looks so crisp and vivid. Cant wait for Plazmic to be updated to get some crazy next gen themes (using Reflex Today Plus from bplay.com but it doesnt take advantage of the bold's screen as much as it should) !!

Keyboard: Best thing since sliced bread.
    Incredibly revolutionary keyboard ,i was as SCARED as you can be while buying it but i gave it a try and fell in love right away.

Red Light: It is indeed quite bright but its perfect for outdoor use.

Trackball: Ok this is the eternal debate between MY BOLD'S TRACKBALL and everybody else's.
    Mine feels JUST like the Curves and is really responsive.

Rest: The size is PERFECT and thats coming from somebody that ALWAYS thought 88xx were too big and still think it, the Bold just sits perfectly in your hand with the curved back and oh god the Leather back just feels so sexy lol.

3. Speed/interface/software
    The new themes are incredibly sexy and classy, i LOVE them.
    The speed is ridiculous, i go crazy when my gf asks me to do things on her curve lol.
    Ill quote eudorauser for the rest as i couldnt say it better.
    "There are a few more games, the media player is revamped and such, but nothing earth-shattering. Bedside mode is neat, but I don't really know what it does appart from turn that red blinking light off, and maybe mute stuff? I haven't looked it up yet. Maybe it will turn up some romantic music if/when I get lucky. You never know.

4. Web Surfing/3G
    Okay, here in the UK same works for Canada 3G is making a BIG difference for web surfing. Note that this difference is EVEN bigger when using a fast browser like Opera Mini. The blackberry one, while neat, still gets really slow on some sites.

So, 3G, good stuff. WIFI? Will only very rarely use it - like when I go abroad with the shocking roaming rates on internet access.

5. Battery Life
    Been amazing for me so far, as good as the Curve. Maybe as I'm in London and it doesn't have to search 3G so far, but 24 hours of pretty solid use, including calls and bluetooth and so on and it's only down to 40%"
    End quote

6. Conclusion
    I am SO happy i got the Blackberry Bold. I Love the screen, the feel of it (leather back hmmmm), the new keyboard is incredible and overral the phone is just so sexy.
    Now I obviously thought oh yeah the javelin is coming ill get that with 4.6 but no i cannot go back to the curve's size i have been (in the words of a fellow stacker) Bold-ified.
    Last edited by ranxoren; 09-15-2008 at 02:52 PM.

hoosierdaddynow no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    249f8227
    Great review. I am still trying to decide between the Bold and the Omnia. Waiting for the both of them to get released in the U.S. The Bold is leading but have to see what if any problems the Bold has with the ATT network.

jeffharris no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierdaddynow View Post
    Great review. I am still trying to decide between the Bold and the Omnia. Waiting for the both of them to get released in the U.S. The Bold is leading but have to see what if any problems the Bold has with the ATT network.
    I have the Bold AND the Omnia. Love the Omnia - so pretty - so fun - so buggy (not the Omnias' fault - it's all Windows). Love the Bold. Love the Bold more for functionality, love the Omnia for it's eye candy (and 5mp camera)

But, for actual use and productivity? The Bold by leaps and bounds. And, when Blackberry gets Slingbox client, I'll never look back at WM.

The Omnia is really great if you enjoy resetting your phone several times a day.

'Nuff said.

hoosierdaddynow no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    249f8227
    Thanks for the info

eudorauser no está en línea Stack level 1
    Great review - better than mine! Bold-acious.